Who is out there that should not be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is out there that should not be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who is out there that should not be?

Postby T.Heck » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Jason Kubel........
T.Heck
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cobra_Kai » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:46 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:I would disagree on Weaver. He hasn't shown anything over his first two years that make me think he will ever be more than a spot-start at best. I think he's one of these guys who gets by on his name - he was such a highly touted prospect, people tend to go for him. He wasn't good last year, and he's had an atrocious spring.

Hasn't shown anything? Weaver basically had the same year as he did in 2006, only without the good luck in having that ERA stay relatively low. In '07, he had a bit of arm trouble (that's more nagging than the red flag variety) and still managed to pitch well even if his K rate fell off a bit, which recouped in 2008. He's still worth drafting in the later rounds, let alone to be picked up off FA.

So what you're saying is that without the luck he had in 2006, his ERA jumped. So why do I want him? Did he suddenly get lucky again? Don't get me wrong, he's a decent pitcher, and there's a chance he has a good season, but his last two years, coupled with this awful spring training don't exactly scream "great pickup" to me.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Todd Helton. He's only owned in only 11% of Yahoo! leagues and 25% of ESPN. He's been hitting the cover off the ball in ST, hasn't had an issues with his back since he started playing, and will be the primary 1B and #3 hitter on a good offense and in a great hitter's park.

Agreed, but not unowned in any of my leagues. I think the only player I own in every league. Definitely worth a spot in all 12 team leagues. Especially OBP and OPS leagues. Health is a concern, but looking very good thus far.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby djack909 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

In 12 team 5x5 rotos I have picked up Ray. J.D.Drew, Marshalll, Konerko, Nelson Cruz,Spilboroughs, Downs, Villanueva, Lyon, Castilla,Lopez (2B ARZ) Price, and Teahan
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Clay Buchholz, Todd Helton, Juan Rivera, Tim Hudson (to stash....in H2H leagues in particular), Hank Blalock (odds of him staying healthy at DH are much greater, return on investment could be huge), I'm personally stashing Neftali Feliz in most deeper leagues, Billy Butler, Mike Fontenot, Kendry Morales.......to name just a few.

Most of these guys will have been taken late in drafts, but I think alot of them could have found themselves in the FA pool, post draft.......
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:I would disagree on Weaver. He hasn't shown anything over his first two years that make me think he will ever be more than a spot-start at best. I think he's one of these guys who gets by on his name - he was such a highly touted prospect, people tend to go for him. He wasn't good last year, and he's had an atrocious spring.

Hasn't shown anything? Weaver basically had the same year as he did in 2006, only without the good luck in having that ERA stay relatively low. In '07, he had a bit of arm trouble (that's more nagging than the red flag variety) and still managed to pitch well even if his K rate fell off a bit, which recouped in 2008. He's still worth drafting in the later rounds, let alone to be picked up off FA.

So what you're saying is that without the luck he had in 2006, his ERA jumped. So why do I want him? Did he suddenly get lucky again? Don't get me wrong, he's a decent pitcher, and there's a chance he has a good season, but his last two years, coupled with this awful spring training don't exactly scream "great pickup" to me.

For one thing, Weaver's FIP ERA has never been higher than a little over 4.00 and in fact, last year's FIP ERA was just about identical to 2006 (the luck-based year) which was in the high 3's. Conversely, that's to say that a 4.33 ERA might also be a bit of bad luck. Because he's a flyball pitcher, the chances are likely he won't have his ERA dip below 3.50, but what can't go under the radar is if he can pitch 200 innings, here's a guy who can exceed 160 K's with the upshot of an ERA in between 3.50 and 4.00. That's very good production for a late-round pitcher who can land as a likely #4-5 starter on most fantasy teams. He might not be the world-beater Ervin Santana was last year, sure, but the chances are also good he'll be more than just useful.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby prateem » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:07 pm

Juan Riveria if healthy should be absolutely solid

Kelvim Escobar sounds like he is rounding in to shape and its possible to still see him out there

Kyle Davies was solid at the end of last year I believe he will make some good strides this year

Anthony Reyes was very good in cleveland last year

Umbaldo Jimenez the second half of last season was great and I think he really turns the corner this year and becomes a very reliable starter
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Jered Weaver has a career ERA of 3.71, career WHIP of 1.25 and career K/9 of 7.27 and career BB/9 of 2.58 at age 27, not sure what is not to like. His biggest wart is his FB% which has been trending down his entire career so far. If you don't think Weaver should be owned in every league I think you need to re-evaluate how you judge pitching.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Ender wrote:Jered Weaver has a career ERA of 3.71, career WHIP of 1.25 and career K/9 of 7.27 and career BB/9 of 2.58 at age 27, not sure what is not to like. His biggest wart is his FB% which has been trending down his entire career so far. If you don't think Weaver should be owned in every league I think you need to re-evaluate how you judge pitching.

+1

If Weaver can mix the deadly cocktail of good health, less flyballs, and league-average luck he will far,far outperform his ADP. With what the Angels achieved with Ervin last year, this is very realistic. ;-D ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers