Who is out there that should not be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is out there that should not be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is out there that should not be?

Postby TB13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Now that the a good amount of drafts are over, who are you seeing that is available that should not be? Off course everything depends on league size, but there always seem to be some nuggets.

I'll start this. I see Jered Weaver & Skip Schumaker. IMO, both should be drafted in leagues that are more than 10 teams.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who is out there that should not be?

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:25 pm

TB13 wrote:Now that the a good amount of drafts are over, who are you seeing that is available that should not be? Off course everything depends on league size, but there always seem to be some nuggets.

I'll start this. I see Jered Weaver & Skip Schumaker. IMO, both should be drafted in leagues that are more than 10 teams.

Why haven't you picked them up then? :-b

Schumaker is nothing to get excited about, but I'm surprised that Weaver would go undrafted.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Weaver should be taken in 10 team leagues so you should nab him if you can.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Todd Helton. He's only owned in only 11% of Yahoo! leagues and 25% of ESPN. He's been hitting the cover off the ball in ST, hasn't had an issues with his back since he started playing, and will be the primary 1B and #3 hitter on a good offense and in a great hitter's park.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Cobra_Kai » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:48 pm

I would disagree on Weaver. He hasn't shown anything over his first two years that make me think he will ever be more than a spot-start at best. I think he's one of these guys who gets by on his name - he was such a highly touted prospect, people tend to go for him. He wasn't good last year, and he's had an atrocious spring.

That said, someone who's on the WW in my league and will be joining my team as soon as the season starts and a couple guys go on the DL is Gavin Floyd. He had a really solid (and underrated) year last year and has looked good so far this spring.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm

in my 12 teamer:

Konerko
Crisp
Blalock
Hafner
Lowell

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:I would disagree on Weaver. He hasn't shown anything over his first two years that make me think he will ever be more than a spot-start at best. I think he's one of these guys who gets by on his name - he was such a highly touted prospect, people tend to go for him. He wasn't good last year, and he's had an atrocious spring.

Hasn't shown anything? Weaver basically had the same year as he did in 2006, only without the good luck in having that ERA stay relatively low. In '07, he had a bit of arm trouble (that's more nagging than the red flag variety) and still managed to pitch well even if his K rate fell off a bit, which recouped in 2008. He's still worth drafting in the later rounds, let alone to be picked up off FA.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:Schumaker is nothing to get excited about, but I'm surprised that Weaver would go undrafted.

+1

Fade2White12 wrote:Todd Helton. He's only owned in only 11% of Yahoo! leagues and 25% of ESPN. He's been hitting the cover off the ball in ST, hasn't had an issues with his back since he started playing, and will be the primary 1B and #3 hitter on a good offense and in a great hitter's park.

+1
I think I have Helton on 3 teams this year. It is amazing to me that so many people have faith in Delgado and so many have none in Helton.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby TheDudeAbides » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 pm

DbacksRback wrote:in my 12 teamer:

Konerko
Crisp
Blalock
Hafner
Lowell

There is a reason he keeps getting left behind at the draft - he apparently has completely forgotten how to hit. When he has this spring they have only been singles.
Sure, in a deep league, or on a team with roster space you could take a gamble on him, but he appears seriously messed up currently and shouldnt warrant a draft pick.
TheDudeAbides
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:56 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:Todd Helton. He's only owned in only 11% of Yahoo! leagues and 25% of ESPN. He's been hitting the cover off the ball in ST, hasn't had an issues with his back since he started playing, and will be the primary 1B and #3 hitter on a good offense and in a great hitter's park.

+1
I think I have Helton on 3 teams this year. It is amazing to me that so many people have faith in Delgado and so many have none in Helton.

I think it has to do with the volatile nature of back issues especially on veteran players. For what Helton won't have power-wise, he's a viable late-round flier, but I'd temper the optimism that he can put together 500 AB.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers