James McDonald.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

James McDonald....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

James McDonald....

Postby RotOAddicT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 am

RotoWorld:

The Los Angeles Times reports that James McDonald "appears to have won the competition to be the Dodgers' fifth starter."
Manager Joe Torre refused to confirm anything, but said: "At this point in time, I think McDonald is the guy that we want to see more of." McDonald is among the top MLB-ready pitching prospects in baseball and has a chance to be an asset in NL-only leagues right away. He tossed 11 1/3 scoreless innings between the regular season and playoffs after debuting last September and has a 4.70 ERA in 15 1/3 innings this spring.

What you guys think of him this year. He worth holding on to?

:-t or ;-D
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: James McDonald....

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:36 pm

In the deepest of mixed leagues (and of course in an NL Only), McDonald is worth having aboard. Putting things into context, he doesn't have the best pure stuff that Clayton Kershaw has, but he has the makings for being a fine middle of the rotation type starter. In more shallow leagues, he's one of the options you should consider if you're spot starting.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm

He's got decent stuff, he's fairly raw yet as he's only been a pitcher the last 3-4 years I think...converted OFer. I like him and even in some mixed leagues he might be worth spot starting when he throws in PetCo or something like that.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby tah161 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:46 pm

yep, in a few years he will probably fit as a number 3 starter, with Bills and Kershaw 1 and 2 or 2 and 1.

He will throw some gems this year, and was lights out last fall, during the playoff's.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 pm

low to mid 90s fastball and BIG hammer that he can command well. He needs to add one more plus pitch. If he does that, I think that he projects more as an eventual #2 SP. I think that he'll do well this season. But he is certainly a bubble player in a 12 teamer.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 pm

I really like him this year as a spot starter at home in LAD (especially against SD, COL, and SF). He'll probably be skipped a few times early on in the season due to his 5th starter slot, but he should be usable in all leagues.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers