Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Delmon Young

Postby Da Man » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 am

Is he starting? Is he platooning? He's had an awsome spring and I just can't see him and his potential sitting!!! Any Twins fans out there that could give me an update?
Da Man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Delmon Young

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03 pm

he is atrting, but he will do is a mystery, has potential as a 30/30 player, may be lucky to get 15/15, he seems to be uncoachable, and has a history of attitude issues.

comment on mine, please?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=374440
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:36 pm

I wouldn't say 30/30. I'd say potential 20/20, maybe 25/25. His true skill is his ability to put the ball in play, not necesarily the power. One day he'll be a 20-20 .330 players. Jeter in his prime, with a bit more power. But he's just too young to know when that will happen. Plus, the Twins can't afford to let him develop, as they are always knocking on the door of the playoffs. He'll likely start, but sit more than a regular starter, though not quite a platoon. He's worth having in a Keeper and Dynasty for sure, in a regular league, watch list him and wait for a jump in peripherals, then pounce on him.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby pmatt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:14 pm

When was he declared a starter? Or are these just your opinions? Everything I've seen thus far indicated he would share time with Span, Cuddyer, Gomez and Kubel. Don't get me wrong I'd love for him to be named the starter. If you guys have the link please post.
Last edited by pmatt on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Span has been playing like crap lately. I'm guessing he's gonna be the odd man out, for now. I'm speculating they go Gomez in center, Cudds in right and Delmon in left with Kubel DHing. Delmon had an awesome spring so I'm hoping that does something for his playing chances.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby silverZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Span is a nice player to have but he played WAY over his head last season. I expect Delmon to get 500+ AB's. They didn't give Garza away for nothing.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 am

I think the Twins think Delmon is expendable, and will showcase him early to generate, some trade buzz, he will play good and be out of Minnesota by mid season.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MNbaseball » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Gardy just does not like young for some reason. He will be sharing playing time forsure. So far I see it span, cuddy and young in the outfield on starting day, but it will change a lot. Gardy likes to play the hot player and will change it up a lot until one is traded or injured. Kubel will be the full time DH. I'm not a very big fan of span and don't think he can do what he did last year, but only time will tell. Young sucks at fielding though which will be one of the main reasons he shares time. gomez, cuddy and span are all above average deffensive players and minnesota is big on our defense.
MNbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 am

Delmon Young finishes up with 10K and 0 BB's this spring and going 9 for his last 46 (< .200BA). And he collected most of his hits in the first two weeks of spring training when pitchers are mostly working on building up strength throwing fastballs. He'll play regularly but he's still a fastball hitter that doesn't like to walk and plays below average defense.

Gomez has shown some improvement that you hope that he can carry into games that actually matter with 10K's and 6 BB's and he appears to have a plan this year when batting (I've been able to watch most of the 10 spring games). He's also hit the ball fairly well although he made a few mental mistakes this week (missing his target on a throw (the ball nearly went into the stands) and was easily thrown out at home running a stop sign). But he'll be starting opening day.

I'm assuming that the previous poster was joking about Cuddyer being an above average fielder. He's not. He has below average range (possibly awful range) with a well above average arm, pretty much the same as Young.

Span also hasn't hit well this spring so he needs to get his bat going also. But at least he plays good defense and likes to BB.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby MNbaseball » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:08 am

I meant including his arm into the equation. He range may not be good, but he plays the wall and field good and people would not be smart to run for extra bases on him. I think he is above delmon in the field, but that is just me I guess. Do you think Delmon or Span will sit on opening day then?
MNbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates