Drafting in a Roto League vs. Head 2 Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting in a Roto League vs. Head 2 Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting in a Roto League vs. Head 2 Head

Postby RaginCajun77 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Since 2002 every league I have been in has been H2H and this year I am in a Roto league. Should this in any way affect the way I draft? May be a dumb question but just throwing it out there. Regular categories of HR, RBI, R, SB, AVG - W, K, ERA, WHIP, S.
RaginCajun77
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drafting in a Roto League vs. Head 2 Head

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:44 pm

I tend to value AVG/SB/SV/ERA more in Roto than in H2H. Those are all stats that vary so much week to week that I personally devalue them in H2H. I always build my team to win in HR/RBI/K/WHIP and compete in the other stats.

Also injury prone and young players are more valuable in roto. In H2H I build for the playoffs more so I will avoid a guy like say Max Scherzer because those guys don't usually stay strong late in the season.

Finally I think quality pitching in general is stronger in roto. In H2H you can either push 2 start guys in weekly leagues or just semi stream pitchers in daily leagues. In roto every pitcher you put out there counts towards your limit so you want them to be better pitchers in general.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby JMB05 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 pm

The thing I see the most is people who draft H2H put no effort into drafting pitchers. But in roto you have to be balanced. So that is my advice.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 am

Ender wrote:I tend to value AVG/SB/SV/ERA more in Roto than in H2H. Those are all stats that vary so much week to week that I personally devalue them in H2H. I always build my team to win in HR/RBI/K/WHIP and compete in the other stats.

Agreed. In H2H, I try to focus on the countable stats that tend to be steadier (R/HR/RBI) and I go after pitchers who can yield healthy K rates while keeping their ratios manageable enough so as not to blow up.

Ender wrote:Finally I think quality pitching in general is stronger in roto. In H2H you can either push 2 start guys in weekly leagues or just semi stream pitchers in daily leagues.

The thing about H2H is it's a flexible format where you can try to focus on ERA/WHIP/SV with relievers who have excellent ratios (as well as a few starters) or a well-rounded staff of SP that's focused on winning W and K, but can stay in the hunt for ERA/WHIP. I'm used to playing in H2H leagues with an annual move limit and I find that having quality SP works out best. Spot starting pitchers also adds an edge to a staff that's already quality in and of itself.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby j24jags » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:11 am

K/9 is more useful than Ks when looking at pitchers to draft because in Roto the key is efficiency since you have an IP maximum...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kweiss » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm

In a H2H league, what about guys like Alfonso Soriano and Chipper Jones? Guys who are extremely efficient in the time they play, but often miss a few weeks.

Conventional wisdom says consistency is key in H2H. But thinking about it today, these guys could be extra valuable in a H2H league, because the weeks they do play they can almost single handedly win categories for you. When they're not playing you stash them on the DL and find the hot hand from the WW.

Thoughts?
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RaginCajun77 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks to all that responded...lot's of good insight. Looks like efficiency is the key here.
RaginCajun77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:31 pm

kweiss wrote:In a H2H league, what about guys like Alfonso Soriano and Chipper Jones? Guys who are extremely efficient in the time they play, but often miss a few weeks.

Conventional wisdom says consistency is key in H2H. But thinking about it today, these guys could be extra valuable in a H2H league, because the weeks they do play they can almost single handedly win categories for you. When they're not playing you stash them on the DL and find the hot hand from the WW.

Thoughts?

As long as they're healthy for the fantasy playoffs that thought process works, but when an injury happens and how long a player is out are impossible to foresee. Logic dictates there would be a greater likelihood of an injury occurring towards the end of the season as opposed to the beginning because the body is more worn down. And if an injury takes place midway through the season, the player might not be back to 100% near the end of the season/fantasy playoffs. It's a risk. At least in roto you get some nice stats until they break. :-b In H2H you have to hope they're 100% for the playoffs.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm

I have a question about the role of closers in H2H leagues that stray away from conventional 5x5 stats. I'm in a league where K/9 and BAA (Batting Average Against) are additional categories.

Now saves are only 1/7 of the possible stats.

Gregg just won the closer's job, but I can almost guarantee he will end up less valuable than Marmol who has very good peripherals.

With the exception of stud RP (Papelbon, Nathan, Lidge) who go way too early for my liking, closer's at the end of the draft usually provide saves while hurting you in other categories.

I'm thinking about ignoring closers at the draft completely, focusing on high K set up men (Marmol, Putz, Arredondo) then scouring the WW mid-season for trade bait. That way I can focus on stacking my offense without having to worry about spending picks on closer's who will more than likely hurt my peripherals.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers