Clay Buchholz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Clay Buchholz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clay Buchholz

Postby Drob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 pm

So I just completed a draft where somebody said that Buchholz just got the 5th starer spot in Boston today. Is there any truth to this? I've searched a few places and everything seems to be pointing to him headed to the minors. He's been lights out in ST, so I'd like to scoop him up if he's gonna be in the majors off the bat.
Drob
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby RotOAddicT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:40 am

I hope so, but i have yet to hear anything about clay getting the 5th spot. I think penny might start the year with it tho.
Image
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 52
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby padrino990_200 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:17 pm

i'm a diehard red sox fan and unless Penny gets hurt all indications show Bucholz will be in AAA to start the year. they would much rather have masterson cause he can go to the pen.

Bucholz will be the first to slide in as the 5th starter, but for now hes got Penny ahead of him and when Smoltz is ready he will be above him too
padrino990_200
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 64
Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby LostInTheBoom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Fantasy-wise, Buccholz should not even be on your radar...unless Boston endures a rash of injuries or he gets traded. Which he very well might. The Red Sox want/need to obtain a long-term option at catcher because Varitek has lost bat speed quicker than Lindsay Lohan lost her cleavage after Mean Girls.
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 58
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby silverZ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:47 pm

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Brad Penny will close out the Red Sox’ spring in Florida Thursday with a fair amount riding on what would normally be a fairly mundane spring training start.

Penny is likely to throw roughly 80 pitches Thursday against the Minnesota Twins, who also train in Fort Myers. It is the final test to determine whether Penny has fully recovered from the shoulder weakness that has plagued him for the past year. If he looks good, he will start in his first rotation turn, April 12. If he doesn’t, Clay Buchholz will get the April 12 start in his place.


http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/red ... d9a19.html
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2963
(Past Year: 73)
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:40 pm

silverZ wrote:
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Brad Penny will close out the Red Sox’ spring in Florida Thursday with a fair amount riding on what would normally be a fairly mundane spring training start.

Penny is likely to throw roughly 80 pitches Thursday against the Minnesota Twins, who also train in Fort Myers. It is the final test to determine whether Penny has fully recovered from the shoulder weakness that has plagued him for the past year. If he looks good, he will start in his first rotation turn, April 12. If he doesn’t, Clay Buchholz will get the April 12 start in his place.


http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/red ... d9a19.html

Well Penny's line wasn't terrible....5 Inn, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 K, 0 BB and Francona was quoted as saying he was pleased with the outing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=290402109

My guess would be that Penny is given the 5th spot in the rotation to start the season and Clay goes down to AAA. He'll be back up before long because the combination of Wakefield, Penny and Smoltz has a lot of age and question marks. Someone is going to get hurt or not pan out and Clay will get the call.

Oh, and FWIW, I have to believe that there's really little chance that he gets traded to comment on a previous post.
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby Rockfan616 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:59 am

Yeah, Clay is someone to keep on your radar screen. What you saw from him last year was an aberration. He's had a great spring except for his last start and will start the year in Pawtucket. But definitely keep tabs on him as if there's an injury he will be recalled and will make some starts in Boston this year. Even just for matchup purposes he would be a pretty good start. I think he'll be just fine tuning a few things in Pawtucket for now, waiting his turn with the Red Sox.
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 190
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:45 am

Rockfan616 wrote:Yeah, Clay is someone to keep on your radar screen. What you saw from him last year was an aberration. He's had a great spring except for his last start and will start the year in Pawtucket. But definitely keep tabs on him as if there's an injury he will be recalled and will make some starts in Boston this year. Even just for matchup purposes he would be a pretty good start. I think he'll be just fine tuning a few things in Pawtucket for now, waiting his turn with the Red Sox.

He's worth a bench spot in leagues with deeper benches
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Clay Buchholz

Postby Rockfan616 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:01 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Rockfan616 wrote:Yeah, Clay is someone to keep on your radar screen. What you saw from him last year was an aberration. He's had a great spring except for his last start and will start the year in Pawtucket. But definitely keep tabs on him as if there's an injury he will be recalled and will make some starts in Boston this year. Even just for matchup purposes he would be a pretty good start. I think he'll be just fine tuning a few things in Pawtucket for now, waiting his turn with the Red Sox.

He's worth a bench spot in leagues with deeper benches



I agree with that, I did that with David Price in one of my leagues as well that had a deep bench. Clay will be up sometime this season,it's just a question of when.
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 190
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 22:02 hours
(and 88 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact