Ryan Zimmerman
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank these 3B from 1-5

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 am

NikkiSixx wrote:Wow, Not a whole lot of Atkins love in this thread, I actually prefer him over anyone else.

In a redraft...

Atkins
Jones
Davis
Huff
Zimmerman

That's about how I have them. Atkins should hit for high average and knock in a fair amount of runs. I have him neck and neck with Chipper. Even giving Davis a fairly generous BA I still have him 3rd of this group. But I agree he has great upside. I see Zim and Huff putting up fairly similar numbers.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:01 am

TheRock wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Wow, Not a whole lot of Atkins love in this thread, I actually prefer him over anyone else.

In a redraft...

Atkins
Jones
Davis
Huff
Zimmerman

That's about how I have them. Atkins should hit for high average and knock in a fair amount of runs. I have him neck and neck with Chipper. Even giving Davis a fairly generous BA I still have him 3rd of this group. But I agree he has great upside. I see Zim and Huff putting up fairly similar numbers.

I know that everyone just LOVES Chris Davis, but I just cant say I would take him over Jones or Atkins until he proves himself. Obviously Chipper would run away with this title if he didnt get hurt every year. Atkins has declined over the past couple years but I would still take him over the rest of them because he IS the safest pick. Im expecting an average right around .300 with 25 HRs and a solid amount of RBI from the cleanup spot. Chipper cant stay healthy, Davis has played half a season in the majors, I dont think Huff will continue from last season, and Zimmerman hasnt put it all together yet.

The 1B perk is pretty helpful as well from Atkins.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
TheRock wrote:

In a redraft...

Atkins
Jones
Davis
Huff
Zimmerman

I know that everyone just LOVES Chris Davis, but I just cant say I would take him over Jones or Atkins until he proves himself. Obviously Chipper would run away with this title if he didnt get hurt every year. Atkins has declined over the past couple years but I would still take him over the rest of them because he IS the safest pick. Im expecting an average right around .300 with 25 HRs and a solid amount of RBI from the cleanup spot. Chipper cant stay healthy, Davis has played half a season in the majors, I dont think Huff will continue from last season, and Zimmerman hasnt put it all together yet.

The reason why I'm down on Atkins as a whole is he's easier to replace with a Zimmerman/Beltre type later. He's not going to hit any more than 25 HR nor hit well over .300 (~.320) again and there's no Matt Holliday backing him up, FWIW. I'd rather gamble on Davis' upside of 30-35 homeruns than Atkins or for that matter, having to live with a bundle of games Chipper will miss in not playing.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:27 pm

I agree with the Artful Dodger here. Chipper and Davis give you the opportunity to have a player that is a significant upgrade from the next bunch of third basemen. Chipper's gives you consistent run production numbers across the board with an elite batting average, and Davis could give you upper echelon power. Atkins is OK, but like mentioned before, you could likely substitute guys like Aubrey Huff, Adrian Beltre, and Ryan Zimmerman with little to potentially no drop off.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:01 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
TheRock wrote:

The reason why I'm down on Atkins as a whole is he's easier to replace with a Zimmerman/Beltre type later. He's not going to hit any more than 25 HR nor hit well over .300 (~.320) again and there's no Matt Holliday backing him up, FWIW. I'd rather gamble on Davis' upside of 30-35 homeruns than Atkins or for that matter, having to live with a bundle of games Chipper will miss in not playing.

Not having Holliday does suck, but are you willing to spend a 5th round pick on an unproven player in the majors? The upside can be very rewarding yes, but at the same time Jonny Gomes had a very similar 2005 only to fall flat on his face in 2006. Now, I am not comparing Davis and Gomes by any means...nor am I saying Davis will fall on his face this year, but with he has looked good for 1 half of a season and he JUST turned 23 years old. My point is, I wouldnt draft an unproven player like Davis over proven vets like Atkins and Jones until he has proved himself for a full season. That being said I do think Davis will be a consistent .280 hitter with 35-40 HR's a year one day.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:I know that everyone just LOVES Chris Davis, but I just cant say I would take him over Jones or Atkins until he proves himself. Obviously Chipper would run away with this title if he didnt get hurt every year. Atkins has declined over the past couple years but I would still take him over the rest of them because he IS the safest pick. Im expecting an average right around .300 with 25 HRs and a solid amount of RBI from the cleanup spot. Chipper cant stay healthy, Davis has played half a season in the majors, I dont think Huff will continue from last season, and Zimmerman hasnt put it all together yet.

Not having Holliday does suck, but are you willing to spend a 5th round pick on an unproven player in the majors? The upside can be very rewarding yes, but at the same time Jonny Gomes had a very similar 2005 only to fall flat on his face in 2006. Now, I am not comparing Davis and Gomes by any means...nor am I saying Davis will fall on his face this year, but with he has looked good for 1 half of a season and he JUST turned 23 years old. My point is, I wouldnt draft an unproven player like Davis over proven vets like Atkins and Jones until he has proved himself for a full season. That being said I do think Davis will be a consistent .280 hitter with 35-40 HR's a year one day.

Would you draft Longoria in the 2nd round?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:22 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:I know that everyone just LOVES Chris Davis, but I just cant say I would take him over Jones or Atkins until he proves himself. Obviously Chipper would run away with this title if he didnt get hurt every year. Atkins has declined over the past couple years but I would still take him over the rest of them because he IS the safest pick. Im expecting an average right around .300 with 25 HRs and a solid amount of RBI from the cleanup spot. Chipper cant stay healthy, Davis has played half a season in the majors, I dont think Huff will continue from last season, and Zimmerman hasnt put it all together yet.

Everyone's risk tolerance differs and most times, I wouldn't draft a player so highly based off only less than 300 AB. In the case of Davis, there's little to suggest in his minor league record that he can't hit for serious power. He also hit 17 HR in 295 AB; prorate that to nearly 600 AB and he's capable of just about 35 HR. His potential is like that of Ryan Howard's or Prince Fielder's and in fact, his frame as well as his power to all fields reminds me of Howard. That to me is definitely worth taking a chance on. The worst risk is spending too much on a "safe" pick when there's better replacement options at better values.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 pm

Longoria 448 major league AB's at a .874 OPS clip
Longoria 758 minor league AB's at a .920 OPS clip

Davis 295 major league AB's at a .880 OPS clip
Davis 1045 minor league AB's at a .952 OPS clip

Both were highly touted....only 6 or so months apart in age...Davis being younger. Davis with the better home hitters park. Yet Longoria is a lock 2nd round pick and Davis is a reach in the 5th or 6th round. What am I missing? Don't get me wrong....I don't think Davis should be going really any sooner but I'm not sold that Longoria should be a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick either. Longoria is the better player but the discrepency shouldn't be so large, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 pm

J35J wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Would you draft Longoria in the 2nd round?

No...
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers