fantasy baseball on mlb network, Sunday 8:30 Eastern - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

fantasy baseball on mlb network, Sunday 8:30 Eastern

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: fantasy baseball on mlb network, Sunday 8:30 Eastern

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am

They were referring to drafting elite catchers back-to-back, which is not even almost fine. Sure if they happen to fall or something but in the situation they were referring to you would leave more value on the board than you would gain by cutting the supply of catchers.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:32 am

Amazinz wrote:They were referring to drafting elite catchers back-to-back, which is not even almost fine. Sure if they happen to fall or something but in the situation they were referring to you would leave more value on the board than you would gain by cutting the supply of catchers.

Right, that I would agree with. I didn't realize they were talking only about elite catchers back to back.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 am

I hate SS with a passion this year. If I don't get one of the top guys, I almost feel like waiting until the last few rounds and either taking Orlando Cabrera or Ryan Theriot. Let someone else waste a mid-round pick on Miguel Tejada %-6
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:33 am

I like Hardy, Tulo, Peralta, Drew, Furcal and don't even mind Jeter or Young. I want one of those guys if I don't get Ramirez or Rollins(I left Reyes off that list on purpose~).
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:52 am

Ender wrote:I like Hardy, Tulo, Peralta, Drew, Furcal and don't even mind Jeter or Young. I want one of those guys if I don't get Ramirez or Rollins(I left Reyes off that list on purpose~).

Whats wrong with Reyes?
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 431)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:03 am

I would never draft him with a top 6 pick so I'll likely never own him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:43 pm

This show was obviously geared at the average player, the Public League guy, etc. That is why most of the advice was presented as a universal, without really touching upon too deep a rhyme or reason. They seemed to simply be offering generic possibilities to think about going into the draft, which in a Public League draft, may very well be applicable for a lot of them. Those drafts must be so different from what most of us are used to, that simply employing a simple strategy like they offer rather than none at all could mean a world of difference. Again, I'm unsure of this, but it was the feeling I got during the show. Again, we're all going to agree/disagree with a lot of it, but we ourselves here at the Cafe often fall prey to a lot of group-think and simply disregard any contrary beliefs as rubbish. I am glad they got any fantasy stuff at all on the Network, and I too hope that they get some sort of Saturday morning hour or what have you in place, even if it's similar to last night's level of player in mind -- guys like that don't even know who Chris Davis is, etc. so last night may have been the very first they've ever heard of him, which puts them at an immediate advantage over the rest of their league-mates who have never heard of him. It's the same premise as the guys around the Cafe who keep it a secret from their league, to try and get an edge. That show last night was probably a great benefit to a great deal of fantasy players. I know it's hard for us to think all the way back to when we were that ignorant about the game, but I know that I, for one, was.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Saw this show this afternoon, thought it was entertaining even if it wasn't informative to me, I'm sure it was to others. I did enjoy Harold's wide eyed looks at some of the negative comments made about a few of the players and why they wouldn't be considered worthy of drafting. All in all, a nice show, hope they keep it alive.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 pm

ayebatter wrote:Saw this show this afternoon, thought it was entertaining even if it wasn't informative to me, I'm sure it was to others. I did enjoy Harold's wide eyed looks at some of the negative comments made about a few of the players and why they wouldn't be considered worthy of drafting. All in all, a nice show, hope they keep it alive.

Yup, its classic when you see non fantasy baseball minds talk to fantasy baseball minds! I also loved the comment that one of the fantasy guys made in that a guy who plays fantasy baseball is more knowledgable about the game than those baseball fans that don't play fantasy baseball(in general)....Harold was like no way....it's very true though(in general), IMHO. Just look at Harold for exhibit A. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers