fantasy baseball on mlb network, Sunday 8:30 Eastern - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

fantasy baseball on mlb network, Sunday 8:30 Eastern

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: fantasy baseball on mlb network, Sunday 8:30 Eastern

Postby daullaz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:31 pm

New sleeper: Ustin Jupton.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padsin05 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:36 pm

daullaz wrote:New sleeper: Ustin Jupton.

hes prolly more consistent then his twin
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:41 pm

New way to win leagues: draft back to back top catchers very early.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:06 pm

Yeah that killed me. "I like to draft Soto and Doumit back-to-back". Yeah that'll show them! :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby colt4523 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Those guys are considered experts? What a great idea to take 2b,C,and RP's back to back.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:15 pm

It would be fantastic if they had a fantasy show on every Sunday morning at like 10 to preview the upcoming week. I'm sure they have that time slot available and hopefully they do not fill it in with another Ken Burns documentary.

I thought the show was fairly good overall. The drafting two catchers strategy was a bit perplexing. I'm not sure you are really putting your opponents at a competitive disadvantage with that move. I think they could have done a whole week of fantasy baseball though. They could dissect one or two positions per day and really go into depth about sleepers and potential breakout candidates. The ESPN fantasy show and now this one are geared towards the casual fantasy player and the experts only skimmed the top of the surface with their analysis. Let's hear about the Juan Rivera's and the closer situation in St. Louis. I already know that Hanley Ramirez is a stud and will be the number one pick.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:The ESPN fantasy show and now this one are geared towards the casual fantasy player and the experts only skimmed the top of the surface with their analysis. Let's hear about the Juan Rivera's and the closer situation in St. Louis. I already know that Hanley Ramirez is a stud and will be the number one pick.

True. It's funny that on ESPN, even the ticker on "Fantasy" at the bottom lists the top 3 or so Fantasy players at every position. Thanks! Now I'm ready to draft!
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Don Veto » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 am

Was it me or was Harold Reynolds not himself tonight? He looked like he had just blazed.
Don Veto
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 am

Drafting back to back C is fine if you are doing it at a smart time. I wouldn't do it myself though. Good C have a ton of value, you just dont' want to draft them 'at value' because their injury rates are too high and you don't want to draft the top end guys because they have absolutely no upside. A guy like Doumit has a little upside still.

I also agree that I like to take one of the top 7 or 8 closers, I just have to get them at value, if people are reaching for them in the 5th round and taking the 7th or 8th one in the 6th or 7th I'll just grab my value somewhere else. I still like drafts where I end up with a good closer in the 7th or 8th round more than the drafts where I am pulling guys off the scrap heap.

I think position scarcity is mostly a sham for 2B/SS though. You can always get a good value somewhere in the draft, no reason to reach for these guys just because you are worried about filling the position. If I gave anyone advice it is to go with corner IF and OF in the early rounds, get the best production you can and then get the MI at value in the mid rounds.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 am

Ender wrote:Drafting back to back C is fine if you are doing it at a smart time. I wouldn't do it myself though. Good C have a ton of value, you just dont' want to draft them 'at value' because their injury rates are too high and you don't want to draft the top end guys because they have absolutely no upside. A guy like Doumit has a little upside still.

I also agree that I like to take one of the top 7 or 8 closers, I just have to get them at value, if people are reaching for them in the 5th round and taking the 7th or 8th one in the 6th or 7th I'll just grab my value somewhere else. I still like drafts where I end up with a good closer in the 7th or 8th round more than the drafts where I am pulling guys off the scrap heap.

I think position scarcity is mostly a sham for 2B/SS though. You can always get a good value somewhere in the draft, no reason to reach for these guys just because you are worried about filling the position. If I gave anyone advice it is to go with corner IF and OF in the early rounds, get the best production you can and then get the MI at value in the mid rounds.

Agreed with most of this. While grabbing back to back catchers isn't advised I've done it once or twice the last 10 years. If your in a 2 catcher league and run into an instance where they are good value, I've done it. And I also agree with grabbing a top closer...and agree once again that its all about value....you grab anyone, anywhere if the value is right. I will say its probably not wise to talk about this freely like its generally a good strategy to use because most of the time it isn't....its all about getting good value and the draft has to be falling in a way that it makes sense.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers