Brandon Morrow says he will close - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brandon Morrow says he will close

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brandon Morrow says he will close

Postby the izzy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 am

3rice wrote:The guy needs some speed and I was going to try trading Coco for Morrow.

Worth it?

I don't think he'll do it. In my three leagues, which are 10 team, Coco was drafted in 0 of them, and Morrow went around the 17th rd in all. You'll have to give up 15th rd value to get him now IMO - maybe even more. Worth a try though.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:10 am

ok i know morrow says he'll close, but has the team come out yet and reiterated that morrow will be the closer? i find it strange that the player names himself the closer but the team has no official comments regarding it.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:32 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:ok i know morrow says he'll close, but has the team come out yet and reiterated that morrow will be the closer? i find it strange that the player names himself the closer but the team has no official comments regarding it.

agreed here... thats all that ive heard that he said he was gonna close, but if management doesn't agree with that then odds are i would believe their word over his... i mean a bench guy can come out and say 'im gonna start at CF this year' doesn't mean hes going to until management announces it or puts that player in the spot...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ssf1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:28 am

bazzy_51 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see him jump in as a top 10 closer.

wouldn't go that far just yet, seattle still isn't lookin like a team thats gonna win a ton of games (and we all know he needs a lead to get a save)... hell watchin the KC/SEA game right now on MLBnetwork and WOW this bullpen is crazy horrible they have given up 8 runs in 2 innings, so far in the 7th inning here there have been 13 batters to the plate and theres just now 2 outs... that bullpen is in disaray so im not sure a top 10 spot is etched in stone for Morrow just yet....

um Brian Wilson of 2008??

The guy closed for like the worst NL offense of 2008 plus the bottom half of NL bullpens and still tied with Lidge for 41 saves. You could also say that Mariners outfield could be one of the best defensively and that will probably help out his WHIP as well. Like one of the guys commented, "close games are pretty fluky."
ssf1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tiggis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 am

Posted a note in the closer thread.

The offical website of the Mars has him listed as #1 bullpen in the closer spot.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 pm

ssf1234 wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see him jump in as a top 10 closer.

wouldn't go that far just yet, seattle still isn't lookin like a team thats gonna win a ton of games (and we all know he needs a lead to get a save)... hell watchin the KC/SEA game right now on MLBnetwork and WOW this bullpen is crazy horrible they have given up 8 runs in 2 innings, so far in the 7th inning here there have been 13 batters to the plate and theres just now 2 outs... that bullpen is in disaray so im not sure a top 10 spot is etched in stone for Morrow just yet....

The guy closed for like the worst NL offense of 2008 plus the bottom half of NL bullpens and still tied with Lidge for 41 saves. You could also say that Mariners outfield could be one of the best defensively and that will probably help out his WHIP as well. Like one of the guys commented, "close games are pretty fluky."

ok my point exactly... you consider Wilson a LEGIT top 10 fantasy closer?? guy had a 4.62 ERA last year, and is a career 4.34, 1.44 WHIP, 9.47 K/9... that can hurt a team pretty badly when you looking at a top 5 closer or a long inning eater posting a small 3 to under 3 era especially when you look at last year and the 'top 10 closers' only 2 had an ERA higher then 2.35 (kerry wood and valverde) and only 2 with a whip above 1.15 (Krod and Lidge) not to mention only 3 under a 10+ K/9 (Soria-8.82, Mariano-9.81, Nathan-9.84), not to mention half of the top 10 also chipped in 5+ wins... now to me yes its getting petty, but those are huge stats especially for a closer...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ssf1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:07 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
ssf1234 wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:

ok my point exactly... you consider Wilson a LEGIT top 10 fantasy closer?? guy had a 4.62 ERA last year, and is a career 4.34, 1.44 WHIP, 9.47 K/9... that can hurt a team pretty badly when you looking at a top 5 closer or a long inning eater posting a small 3 to under 3 era especially when you look at last year and the 'top 10 closers' only 2 had an ERA higher then 2.35 (kerry wood and valverde) and only 2 with a whip above 1.15 (Krod and Lidge) not to mention only 3 under a 10+ K/9 (Soria-8.82, Mariano-9.81, Nathan-9.84), not to mention half of the top 10 also chipped in 5+ wins... now to me yes its getting petty, but those are huge stats especially for a closer...

I never said Wilson to be legit Top 10 in anything. Im merely claimed that he got a high amount of saves because his stuff (mainly fastball) is good and he plays in a pitchers par, kind of like Morrow. Anyway, most probably drafted Morrow to be a mid-lower of the end SP in your rotation. I know Wilsons ratios are kinda down there, but I understand your argument agasint Wilson so let me clarify myself. What Morrow's ratios looked like in '07, kind of mimics Wilsons ratios of '08. Now, looking at Morrows ratios of '08, he clearly improved from '07, except for maybe the HRs he gave up in '08. Given the talent that Morrow can potentially be, he would not surprise me if he did infact became a top 10 closer.

Trust me, i know about the iffiness of Wilson. Im a big orange and black fan, and i can say without a doubt that Wilson was the Dice-K of closers in walking so many guys but getting outs to rack up saves. But if Wilson can rack up 41 saves on a crappy team, i dont see why its hard to believe Morrow, who's clearly a better pitcher, with possibly a better defense behind him, who has improved from his first year to second, cannot get 40 saves with good ratios.
ssf1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Carnac » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:36 am

I like him at closer better than starter. Drafted him late and lucked into an extra closer. ;-D :-D
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cnote23 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 am

Sweet I am happy about that! ;-D
cnote23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafecaster