Brandon Morrow says he will close - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brandon Morrow says he will close

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Morrow says he will close

Postby McStallen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:22 pm

From rotoworld....
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mariners' Morrow says he's going to close

Brandon Morrow told the Seattle Times on Sunday that he plans to be a full-time closer, both this season and in future years.
Mar. 29 - 2:10 pm et
----------------------------------------------------------------
Yikes I think Morrow is a great young pitcher but his value for 2009 is really in flux- he could start the season as the Mariners' closer, as a set-up man, in the rotation (a longshot), or maybe in the minors- I think the minors is looking less likely - he made the cut today when Clement got sent down.

Any thoughts?
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Re: Brandon Morrow says he will close

Postby TheNephilim » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:12 pm

hooray....last pick in 26th round pays off for something.
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AllDay » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:50 pm

So - he has anointed himself closer not only for this year but next year as well?

Maybe Marmol should have tried that!
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Wouldn't be surprised to see him jump in as a top 10 closer.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see him jump in as a top 10 closer.

wouldn't go that far just yet, seattle still isn't lookin like a team thats gonna win a ton of games (and we all know he needs a lead to get a save)... hell watchin the KC/SEA game right now on MLBnetwork and WOW this bullpen is crazy horrible they have given up 8 runs in 2 innings, so far in the 7th inning here there have been 13 batters to the plate and theres just now 2 outs... that bullpen is in disaray so im not sure a top 10 spot is etched in stone for Morrow just yet....

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby damnitman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 am

Wouldnt he be an insane pickup in yahoo leagues with limited RP spots? He has SP and RP eligibility. I think this makes him worth the gamble
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LostInTheBoom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:19 pm

I drafted him as a starter but this news is a welcome surprise. I had too many starters and wasn't crazy about my closers (Heath Bell, Matt Capps and Troy Percival).

Morrow has the stuff to be a dominant closer...and if I recall correctly, Putz managed to turn in some top-tier fantasy seasons with the Mariners, even when they were bad. I don't see a direct correlation between good teams and save opportunities. Ask the guys at Baseball Prospectus--the number of close games that a team plays in a given season is often pretty fluky...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TornHammy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Don't sleep on Morrow. He immediately becomes an extremely relevant closing option, particularly in Yahoo where he is now the only closer with SP eligibility.

Those concerned about the Mariners potential to generate save opps need look no further than Soria or Wilson last year, and should remember that the M's play in low scoring Safeco with an above average array of SP and a low scoring offense.

Morrow's "stuff" is filthy and rivals that of the top tier of closers. The main concern is his control which will continue to be an issue, but in 36.2 relief IP last year his BB/9 were 3.68, compared to 6.1 in 28 IP as a starter.

I would expect his BB/9 to be around 3.5 for the year as he settles into his role. As a flyball pitcher with a strong - if not great - OF behind him and a large park, I would predict:

58ip 2.58era 1.18whip 68k's 35sv's
TornHammy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 pm

LostInTheBoom wrote:I drafted him as a starter but this news is a welcome surprise. I had too many starters and wasn't crazy about my closers (Heath Bell, Matt Capps and Troy Percival).

Morrow has the stuff to be a dominant closer...and if I recall correctly, Putz managed to turn in some top-tier fantasy seasons with the Mariners, even when they were bad. I don't see a direct correlation between good teams and save opportunities. Ask the guys at Baseball Prospectus--the number of close games that a team plays in a given season is often pretty fluky...

hmmm K-Rod seems to ring a bell with me here? hmmm... no but i know what your saying and i do agree with it but i mean he has to get the save opps also, so a winning team is always a good bet to get those for him...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby 3rice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:29 am

off topic, but he was drafted in my league and Im about to make a move for him. The guy needs some speed and I was going to try trading Coco for Morrow.

Worth it?

My closers right now are Capps, Devine, Ray

His closers are K-rod, Soria , Arredondo
3rice
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates