Jason Kubel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jason Kubel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Kubel

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Is this guy in a platoon because I can't understand why he's only 8 percent owned on Yahoo. If he plays a full season he'll hit 30 bombs, and with that solid offense around him, could come close too 100 runs and 100 rbi's, without killing your average.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jason Kubel

Postby TheNephilim » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:02 pm

As of now he's only gonna hit righties, there is a platoon scenario with him and delmon young potentially.
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby babaoriley7 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:20 pm

not true. He may lose some at bats but he is the every day DH
babaoriley7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheNephilim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:03 pm

babaoriley7 wrote:not true. He may lose some at bats but he is the every day DH

Directly from SPORTINGNEWS.COM one from early march and then again March 27

Impact: Unfortunately for Kubel, there's probably nothing he can do this spring to change his role. He'll start at DH against right-handers, but Delmon Young figures to play over him against lefties.

Mar 27, 2009 - 04:39pm ET

Although Delmon Young is also playing well, Kubel shouldn't have to worry about losing any starts against right-handers. He's hitting .400/.471/.556 in 45 at-bats, which doesn't even count a 3-for-3 day in an exhibition against Puerto Rico earlier this month.
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19 am

I would go somewhere in between a platoon and fulltime right now...BUT I EXPECT HIM TO BE FULLTIME SOON FOR A FEW REASONS.

1) He was a huge hitting prospect when he first came up but injuries got in the way of his development...some say he still could be a better hitter than Morneau
2) I owned him last year and he hit lower in the lineup than he is this Spring, which to me signals Gardenhire is recognizing his importance (yes I know Mauer isnt there but who will fill his shoes...to me its Kubel and they have hit him in the heart of the lineup as a result)
3) He has been in the lineup against both righties and lefties in the Spring
4) Based on last year and this Spring I see him finally fulfilling his potential
5) I wouldnt put too much importance on any one fantasy site writeup such as the Sporting News comments above (alot of them are behind on the trends imo), but CBS seems to think he is full time already

FROM CBS Sportsline's Span page
Papelbon left a ball up and Span crushed it. Span is part of the four-man rotation in the Twins' outfield with Carlos Gomez, Delmon Young and Michael Cuddyer. Jason Kubel is the fulltime DH. Span has the mix of speed and power Rotisserie owners love and is a sleeper in those formats on Draft Day. We would like him a lot better if he wasn't competing with such capable options for at-bats, though.

6) And finally, DENARD SPAN CANT HIT THAT GOOD, he never did consistently in the minors and isnt in Spring! He has some OBP potential which helps but if he doesnt hit consistently that leaves him either on the bench or as a platoon guy instead of Kubel

From Rototimes...
Denard Span
2008 numbers: .294/.387/.432 with 18 steals in 347 AB
2009 spring: .159/.256/.246 with two steals in 69 AB

Span was thought to be the primary leadoff hitter for the Twins this season, but he has looked totally lost at the plate for much of spring. He does lead the club with 69 AB, but he also tops the club with 13 strikeouts while producing nothing of value on offense. Considering that Carlos Gomez is hitting .280 with a .368 OBP, it appears quite possible that Span will drop to ninth in the order with Gomez taking over the leadoff role, at least early on in the year. Moreover, Jason Kubel is hitting .365, Delmon Young is hitting .295, and Michael Cuddyer is hitting .308, so there remains the possibility, however remote, that Span will lose his starting gig in the outfield until he proves worthy of the role.
Level of concern: High

...and yes I do own Kubel again this year :-D but its daily moves so I could always platoon him myself ;-D
Last edited by NittanyLions1 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jamastaballa » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am

Huge Twins rube here - let me set the record straight.

Kubel is the everyday DH, but will lose at-bats for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. Joe Mauer will DH on some of the days he does not catch, forcing the team to either sit two of Span/Young/Cuddyer/Gomez for Kubel, or sit Kubel.

2. Span is sucking this spring, as NittanyLions1 mentioned, but with four outfielders, you can bet there'll be days where Kubel sits against the lefties for one of those guys.

3. The competition to simply PLAY is so intense right now, that Kubel might take a seat on the bench if he sees a slump. That is to say, some years the Twins haven't had as much hitting, so they'd be more prone to just wait a guy out... you know, sort of wait and see if he'd come around. They may have a quicker hook than in previous seasons.

That's all I've got for now. Hope that helped a little.
10-Team H2H Std. 5x5

R. Martin, G. Atkins, J. Rollins, A. Hill, D. Wright, A. Gordon,
E. Renteria, Crawford, M. Ramirez, P. Burrell, N. Markakis, C. Hart

Lincecum, J. Cueto, H. Street, G. Sherrill, M. Capps, AJ Burnett, Putz, B. Myers, Harden, Bedard,
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks jamastaballa,
Do you think they play Kubel in LF if they DH Mauer at times? He's getting time in the OF in ST (actually is there in today's game) and with his legs probably healed up better, they may feel that if he is hitting they could play him there to keep him in the lineup right? Just speculation of course...
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 am

NittanyLions1 wrote:Thanks jamastaballa,
Do you think they play Kubel in LF if they DH Mauer at times? He's getting time in the OF in ST (actually is there in today's game) and with his legs probably healed up better, they may feel that if he is hitting they could play him there to keep him in the lineup right? Just speculation of course...

I doubt it unless Kubel really breaks out OPS .900+ and he forces them to play him everyday.

I think yesterday was Kubel's only appearance in the OF this spring (or one of a very few). And the extenuating circumstances were Young taking a couple of days off for a sore shoulder, Cuddyer flying to MN to have a finger looked at (no problem found) and gomez taking a day off to be with his pregnant wife. All of them sounded to be last minute decisions and it's likely that if it was the regular season none of them would have missed the game.

I will comment that when Kubel did play the outfield last season he looked incredibly bad. He's probably a Cuddyer level defensive OF'er if he played out there more but because he rarely plays out there and he looked absolutely terrible.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:57 am

kab21 wrote:
NittanyLions1 wrote:Thanks jamastaballa,

I doubt it unless Kubel really breaks out OPS .900+ and he forces them to play him everyday.

I think yesterday was Kubel's only appearance in the OF this spring (or one of a very few). And the extenuating circumstances were Young taking a couple of days off for a sore shoulder, Cuddyer flying to MN to have a finger looked at (no problem found) and gomez taking a day off to be with his pregnant wife. All of them sounded to be last minute decisions and it's likely that if it was the regular season none of them would have missed the game.

I will comment that when Kubel did play the outfield last season he looked incredibly bad. He's probably a Cuddyer level defensive OF'er if he played out there more but because he rarely plays out there and he looked absolutely terrible.

Ahhh, didnt realize the circumstances of yesterday. Thanks!! Yeah, I would then agree and lean towards them not playing him in the OF much at all...unless he is tearing it up of course :-D !
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheNephilim » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm

That Nephilim guy was right Kubel seems to be spitting ABs with Young:

Rotoworld:
One night after sitting against right-hander Felix Hernandez, Delmon Young is hitting sixth against left-hander Erik Bedard.
Young is in something of a rotation with Denard Span, Carlos Gomez, Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel for four starting spots, so while he won't be in the lineup every day, he should still get ample opportunity to play. The left-handed hitting Kubel is on the bench Tuesday.
TheNephilim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates