DL for... anxiety disorder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DL for... anxiety disorder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: DL for... anxiety disorder?

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:18 pm

garf112 wrote:it is also nice to have anxiety disorder being talked about openly.

I thought this was a bit on the insensitive side, but ah well.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:22 pm

having suffered from anxiety, it really isn't a big deal. it's not something one should be embarrassed about.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby clevername » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:42 pm

dclark0699 wrote:You can diagnose it with blood tests - though it isn't any more accurate than ordinary methods.

I'm curious. Which tests are your referring to?

I'm an MD, but a pediatrician. I've never heard of a blood test to diagnose anxiety.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:46 pm

I just know because I've had it done - I couldn't tell you what test it is as I'm no medical professional and I don't remember them telling me what it was.

I plucked this off the internet though. Not really sure what it means...

"...found more than a 90% correlation between people who were diagnosed with higher than usual anxiety by a psychologist and people with abnormal AChE, BChE and PON levels. "

You might know better than I. It's also just off the random internet, so it might be inaccurate.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:05 pm

I haven't heard of any of those, but then again, I'm not on the cutting edge of the psychiatry/psychology fields. Thankfully, kids don't have those problems too often (though do more than enough, in their own ways).

The only labs to evaluate someone with anxiety I know of that are routinely used and taught as of the end of my med school training 4 and a half years ago were simple, non-specific labs looking for medical disorders that can have anxiety as a symptom rather than looking for something that specifically diagnoses anxiety disorder outside of another medical condition.

These new tests may be out there now, I don't know. I have heard of some potential gene tests for anxiety disorder but those were a ways off from being used everyday. If these tests are similarly new I wonder how many practitioners actually use and trust them. New fangled tests often have a funny way of not lasting long due to the lack of information people end up finding they get from them.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby emb0lus » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:38 pm

clevername wrote:I haven't heard of any of those, but then again, I'm not on the cutting edge of the psychiatry/psychology fields. Thankfully, kids don't have those problems too often (though do more than enough, in their own ways).

The only labs to evaluate someone with anxiety I know of that are routinely used and taught as of the end of my med school training 4 and a half years ago were simple, non-specific labs looking for medical disorders that can have anxiety as a symptom rather than looking for something that specifically diagnoses anxiety disorder outside of another medical condition.

These new tests may be out there now, I don't know. I have heard of some potential gene tests for anxiety disorder but those were a ways off from being used everyday. If these tests are similarly new I wonder how many practitioners actually use and trust them. New fangled tests often have a funny way of not lasting long due to the lack of information people end up finding they get from them.

There are no lab tests that are used in the mainstream medical world to diagnose anxiety and the things you checked in med school are still the same things you check now to rule out other problems. Dontrelle has more access than the rest of us to the top medical minds in the country so it is possible he has had some tests that nobody else outside of clinical research patients get but I think it is more plausible he has a thyroid problem. The article was pretty vague though so who knows what is really going on.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:18 pm

emb0lus wrote:
clevername wrote:I haven't heard of any of those, but then again, I'm not on the cutting edge of the psychiatry/psychology fields. Thankfully, kids don't have those problems too often (though do more than enough, in their own ways).

There are no lab tests that are used in the mainstream medical world to diagnose anxiety and the things you checked in med school are still the same things you check now to rule out other problems. Dontrelle has more access than the rest of us to the top medical minds in the country so it is possible he has had some tests that nobody else outside of clinical research patients get but I think it is more plausible he has a thyroid problem. The article was pretty vague though so who knows what is really going on.

I am a psychologist and I can tell you that those blood tests are not used in clinical practice as they probably lack sensitivity/specificity. As far as I can tell, they look for elevated levels of certain neurotransmitters, especially acetylcholine. I agree with the previous posters that it's far more likely that he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem. Hyperthyroidism, for instance, tends to mimic anxiety disorders.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 44)

Postby Zhangman1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Willis was placed on the 15-day DL on Sunday due to anxiety about something recent tests found in his bloodstream, the Tigers' official site reports.

Off the yahoo blurb. it reads to me like he's anxious about the test results, not the results themselves are diagnosing anxiety. i'm not a doctor yet (give me 2 years) but i'm pretty sure we've never learned about diagnosing psychiatric disorders with blood tests.

anyway, this is interesting and i hope willis the best
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Raf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 am

No I think there was a blood test that was a little off that Dontrelle got anxious about. It's called health anxiety, he probably read some crap on google about a blood test and now thinks he has AIDS or something. So I think that's where the blood test came in, at least that's what I gathered from it. I highly doubt it meant a blood test revealed he had anxiety, it just doesn't work like that.
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 am

CadensDad wrote:Quite interesting, maybe Willis can get his stuff fixed and come back and be a strong pitcher again

I read that the biggest issue has been his new arm slot. Apparently he is throwing at 3/4 now, whereas before he was more over the top. This is taking out all the deception that was in his delivery. Also, he apparently has no idea where his pitches are ending up. Don't know if that is related to the new delivery. It wouldn't surprise me if, now that he has filled out a little more, his weight and size would make his old delivery too off balance and therefore unrepeatable for him.

If these things are the case, then his anxiety disorder really doesn't mean crap for baseball purposes.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers