Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:10 pm

J35J wrote:I'm surprised at the people who do it and think its fine personally.

I concur.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:53 pm

You get 12 guys in a room, throw in some booze and cigars, and they're gonna talk about whatever they're gonna talk about.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't really care. Chances are, if I'm playing with experts or something, me name-dropping a player will have basically no effect on someone else drafting him. Everyone has their own rankings and they're not likely to forget a player entirely or be swayed by my own personal opinion on him. If I'm playing with novices, and they wind up taking the sleeper I wanted, I'll probably have a bunch of backup plans at that point that haven't been drafted. Even so, they still probably won't draft him if they don't know anything about him, or if they brought a plan along with them they'd still be unlikely to deviate from it.

Now, intentionally talking up a player you have no intention of taking or talking down a player you want in order to manipulate others' picks...now THAT'S a dick move. Punishment for that would be replacement of a draft pick with Paul Bako or LaTroy Hawkins.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Punishment for that would be replacement of a draft pick with Paul Bako or LaTroy Hawkins.

Hawkins is really a pretty good player to have in NL-only 6X6 leagues.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I just get irritated when the 'name dropping' results in a run that dries up a category or position right before my pick. Part of your draft preparation gets thrown out the window because of a moron who doesn't know what is going on.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I just get irritated when the 'name dropping' results in a run that dries up a category or position right before my pick. Part of your draft preparation gets thrown out the window because of a moron who doesn't know what is going on.

Why are you playing in leagues with "morons who don't know what's going on"?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:You get 12 guys in a room, throw in some booze and cigars, and they're gonna talk about whatever they're gonna talk about.

Because my friends league is made up of people who I went to college with, we're spread out all over the country now...so I haven't experienced that kind of atmosphere. I've only been able to do online drafts, although I imagine a Live draft like that would be a blast. :,-(

Still, no mention of yet-to-be-taken players would be allowed... ;-) :-D

Thankfully, everyone I've ever played with (from Cafe leagues to friendlies) has been of a like mind...or at the very least respected the wishes of the majority when it was decided not to allow it.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I just get irritated when the 'name dropping' results in a run that dries up a category or position right before my pick. Part of your draft preparation gets thrown out the window because of a moron who doesn't know what is going on.

Why are you playing in leagues with "morons who don't know what's going on"?

I overstated the morons part out of frustration. More or less it sucks when you can tell that a draft goes into a totally different direction because someone comments on something for this reason.
I guess this is more of a vent type post. Things basically turned out o.k. in the draft I'm talking about. The run that ensued allowed me to go a different direction and pick up better 'value' in return for a loss in saves potential. No big deal, but annoying nonetheless.
I just do not understand the reasoning for commenting on what a managers' team is weak in, or about the quality of players left at certain positions, or the hidden 'gems' ranked lower than should be.
I guess it is just me. :-[
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers