Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:25 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't understand the big deal. The entire point of the draft is to adjust and find the best value for the money. I point out a guy who's sitting out there that I don't want because I don't want to be forced to take him.

During the Pro-Am Draft, there was a pretty constant back and forth joking and joshing about Wieters, who was going to take him, how shocking it was he hadn't been taken yet (this started in Round 2), and it was fun. Everybody in the draft has their projections and views on Wieters, and every other players in the league, so it was cool with me, and led to some fun chatter.

I echo the advice of whoever said people need to lighten up and play in leagues filled with players who utilize resources similar to their own and are as serious about the game. Period.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't understand the big deal. The entire point of the draft is to adjust and find the best value for the money. I point out a guy who's sitting out there that I don't want because I don't want to be forced to take him.

Yeah, but a lot of people name drop without any kind of strategy like that... They're just commenting for the sake of commenting.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:20 pm

High Heat wrote:Some of you guys are whiny. Do you complain as much when people comment on trades and add/drops during the season? People are going to talk about what they are going to talk about. get over it.

I think this is a faulty comparison. In those cases you're talking about transactions that have ALREADY occurred, after the fact. I have no problem with people commenting on people's PICKS in a draft, and do so quite often myself. But I think commenting on players who are still on the board is quite different...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bwanna » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

During the Pro-Am Draft, there was a pretty constant back and forth joking and joshing about Wieters, who was going to take him, how shocking it was he hadn't been taken yet (this started in Round 2), and it was fun. Everybody in the draft has their projections and views on Wieters, and every other players in the league, so it was cool with me, and led to some fun chatter.

I echo the advice of whoever said people need to lighten up and play in leagues filled with players who utilize resources similar to their own and are as serious about the game. Period.

I echo your echo. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 271)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:26 am

bigh0rt wrote:

Yep.
If you can't see what the draft situation is for yourself, then that's your silly fault. }:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:47 am

AussieDodger wrote:Yep.
If you can't see what the draft situation is for yourself, then that's your silly fault. }:-)

Ha! That's why I don't like it...no amount of talking is going to alter my pick, but since I can't say the same for others (including experienced managers), I'd prefer there not be any name dropping of yet-to-be-taken players.

Once a player has been taken, by all means make fun of the pick...razz the guy. Or if it's an ongoing joke about Wieters that starts in round 1, then it has no real bearing on where he gets taken...so while that doesn't really bother me, a simple guideline of "no mentioning of undrafted players is allowed" is the simplest way to stop people from being douches, so discussing Wieters wouldn't be allowed. Anyway, I don't like it. :-C

Serious draft is serious. :^

Now leave me alone while I go be uptight and watch some ESPN. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:43 pm

I've got no problem with the running gag either. Or commenting on choices as they're made. But commenting on player's values that are going to come off the board imminently, or evaluating other manager's needs as the draft rolls along...it's bush. Lazy. Lame. Consider it yet another managerial skill if you want. But to me it reflects a lack of confidence in your ability to build the best team the right way.

BTW -- those of you who use it as a tactic -- you don't also get to use the "play in better leagues" line -- because obviously you believe you are playing with people who might be swayed.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AllDay » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:53 pm

We usually force the guy who mentioned the player take him with his next selection.

It's a bit of situational thing, though. The rule is there so people at least try to observe the 'no table talk' rule.

If you fold a hand in poker you don't say "I folded with a pair of 9's" until the hand is done. A guy like that isn't going to last at the poker table or in our league.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tah161 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Annoying.

I usually have 2 or 3 sleepers I will take with my last couple picks and if people start dropping the names they get taken before I would take them or before they normally would.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 pm

I've never done a mock or a league where people thought this was a good idea....I'm suprised at the people who do it and think its fine personally.

With that said...whatever floats your boat I guess.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers