Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Some of you guys seem a bit uptight. They either were newbies and were stupid talking about it, or were just baiting guys into taking people. My advice, play with knowledgable managers. Because if your in a good league, chat talk about who is there (likely doesn't happen in the first place) isn't going to sway who they take with their next pick. All of you just seem upset cause you can't get a guy you want later, not a very good reason IMO.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:18 pm

i dont like it and i really dont like when other people do it (this is my friendly money league). i dont like it in other leagues either, but im less uptight about it.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fezzik » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:21 pm

hybrid wrote:Some of you guys seem a bit uptight. They either were newbies and were stupid talking about it, or were just baiting guys into taking people. My advice, play with knowledgable managers. Because if your in a good league, chat talk about who is there (likely doesn't happen in the first place) isn't going to sway who they take with their next pick. All of you just seem upset cause you can't get a guy you want later, not a very good reason IMO.

I try to restrict my leagues to people who know what they're doing. You seem to be making my point as to why it's Bush League. The people who do it you described as being "newbies" or "stupid". I agree with that. ;-)

hybrid wrote:All of you just seem upset cause you can't get a guy you want later, not a very good reason IMO.

If I'm drafting in two picks, and I've noticed someone has fallen farther than they should have...and I'm kind of hoping he will fall to me, then I think it's pretty lame for a manager who is 14 picks away to point out that so-and-so is falling too far...just because he knows he has no shot at the guy he doesn't want anyone to get too good of a deal, because the farther the player falls, the bigger steal he will be. There is something that strikes me as unfair and unsportsmanlike about that scenario. Even with knowledgeable and prepared managers, someone might be flying under the radar...pointing out a slipping player could sway a manager to pick that player (so I guess we disagree on that point). Humans are not infallible creatures...

You can tell me that he's trying to draw attention to some guy he has no interest in, but the times I've seen this done...that clearly hasn't been the case. It really doesn't bother me if someone is talking about how Billy Butler is a steal in the 3rd round, but if Markakis is hanging around at the start of round 4 I don't think people should be talking about it. Of course that's just my humble opinion. I've never been characterized as uptight, but there's always a first. :-b

I agree that (in general) chatter like this doesn't happen in the first place when playing with knowledgeable and competitive managers. If it did happen in such a league, it would bother me much more than if a "newb" or a "stupid" person was doing it...the latter two have the excuse of ignorance and stupidity.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:43 pm

hybrid wrote:Some of you guys seem a bit uptight. They either were newbies and were stupid talking about it, or were just baiting guys into taking people. My advice, play with knowledgable managers. Because if your in a good league, chat talk about who is there (likely doesn't happen in the first place) isn't going to sway who they take with their next pick. All of you just seem upset cause you can't get a guy you want later, not a very good reason IMO.

It doesn't make a huge difference to me, but I would prefer it didn't happen. I equate this to playing a game of poker, and a guy commenting each time on the cards coming out. Yea, we all know what's there and what the best hands are, but knock it off.

Knowledgable managers, players, whatever aren't perfect. You can reach for players, or be torn between a couple picks. I'd rather not have an assistant in chat underscoring that "hey, don't forget, this guy is supposed to be good". The main question is whether this is bad etiquette, and I think it is.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rainman23 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:13 pm

It sucks. It may not influence a good manager to desire a player...but it can impact their behavior anyway. If you're thinking "do I snag the guy this time, or wait until the next pick?" and then someone pulls this trash...well, your decision is made, right? It's just something else you gotta consider. I'm sure that even those of you who enjoy this little trick would find it irritating if it was pulled on you in the wrong situation.

Similarly -- one time in a draft, one of my fellow managers says, gee, I can't believe rainman hasn't drafted a closer yet. Well, as it happened I WAS planning on loading up on closers with my next couple picks. And VERY happy that this guy chose to evaluate my needs at that point.

Hey -- don't yell "MISS!" when your pals are putting. And don't do this crap when they're drafting.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JimmyBaseball » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 pm

I table talk for the whole draft... In fact, I say its funny. In fact, right when our draft started before the first pick was pasted on the bored, I mentioned "God I can't believe Hanley Ramirez is still on the board."

I also take every chance I can during the draft to remind the crowd that Pedro Borbon Jr. is still on the board.

Seriously, I use it as a strategy. I saw that Bobby Abreu was still on the board with six picks to be made to fall me to me in the 7th round. I talked up everyone I could in those six picks to get Abreu. It worked.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Glad I'm not in your league.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby High Heat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Some of you guys are whiny. Do you complain as much when people comment on trades and add/drops during the season? People are going to talk about what they are going to talk about. get over it.
High Heat
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:23 pm

I don't understand the big deal. The entire point of the draft is to adjust and find the best value for the money. I point out a guy who's sitting out there that I don't want because I don't want to be forced to take him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Yoda wrote:I don't understand the big deal. The entire point of the draft is to adjust and find the best value for the money. I point out a guy who's sitting out there that I don't want because I don't want to be forced to take him.

;-D ;-D ;-D
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers