Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Postby schmidty » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Hey, I had a question that I thought I'd throw out to the Cafe. I just did a Yahoo draft, and in the chat window some guys were discussing players that hadn't been taken yet. This is while picks are being made, not pre-draft chatter. What's the accepted etiquette on this? I preferred people not do this, even if they're not neccesarily saying something good about a player. Comments like "I can't believe so-and-so is still on the board" and "I thought about so-and-so for that last pick, but changed my mind". I made a polite request for people to stop, and everyone else seemed shocked that I'd even think that. The counter-argument was "Well, Yahoo has the ranks in a list anyway so what does it matter that we mention the names". Though I thought that name dropping can (and did) get people's attention, and the players mentioned seemed to get taken soon after it happened. And even though Yahoo (and other services) have the names in a list, once the draft gets underway everyone has different windows up. It's easy to get focused on your own list or player queue, or just have open the rank window for the position you're thinking about next round.

Anyway, it really was just a friendly disagreement. Nobody did it after I raised the objection, even though no one seemed to agree with me. And the chat remained friendly. But what do you guys think? Am I silly for not liking names dropped during drafts? It does kind of suck when you notice a guy you like dropping below their ADP, have him queued up for your next selection, someone says "hey, check out how far this guy is dropping". And BAM ... he's gone :~(
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Name dropping during draft: bad etiquette or not?

Postby apz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:14 pm

I don't like it, but have no idea how others feel about it.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:20 pm

I love table talk. It's part of the fun of the draft. There is strategy involved - you can use it to your advantage too or to spite someone.

The biggest laughs come from table talk during bidding in an auction. People trying to pump up the price by quoting spring stats or spring comments "best shape of his life" "he could steal 50" etc or just outright lying. Paul Konerko - those 10 steals could really come in handy. Always go into a draft ready for table talk to occur.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:23 pm

There's nothing officially wrong with it, but it is generally frowned upon. I especially think its on the icky side when you have your 3B taken care of early, so you go ahead and start talking about all of the 3B sleepers, etc.

I don't mind it in mock drafts, though.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bwanna » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I love table talk. It's part of the fun of the draft. There is strategy involved - you can use it to your advantage too or to spite someone.

The biggest laughs come from table talk during bidding in an auction. People trying to pump up the price by quoting spring stats or spring comments "best shape of his life" "he could steal 50" etc or just outright lying. Paul Konerko - those 10 steals could really come in handy. Always go into a draft ready for table talk to occur.

Agreed. The table talk is part of the fun.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:58 pm

I think it's fine.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:05 pm

It's fine. I sometimes talk up someone I don't want and get people to pick him so the player I really want is still there at my pick. It's all about strategy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 125)

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:13 pm

i hold back when drafting w/ ppl i dont know to well, but when drafting w/ friends, i have no problem w/ it
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I love table talk. It's part of the fun of the draft. There is strategy involved - you can use it to your advantage too or to spite someone.

March 2008 - "Jeff Francoeur is COUNTRY STRONG!"

I'm really not bothered about it, I only get annoyed if it's a guy I really need before the next tier basically falls off a cliff.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 pm

At the beginning of every draft in leagues I commish I say "PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS PLAYERS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN DRAFTED YET". This usually prevents any problems. I think in an auction it's OK and I could see how people would consider it part of the fun, but in a regular draft I think it's really bad etiquette.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers