my First Auction style draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

my First Auction style draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

my First Auction style draft

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:10 pm

I did my first auction style draft, didn't know what to expect, its the 1st year of a 5-8 Keeper league, roto 5x5, with a 3 year limit on keepers (we are still debating keeper limits, and it seems to be a very active league) we had a $260 limit, and I know I overpaid for several players, but the first 150 picks were all overpaid

My Roster

C-Joe Mauer $14
C-Kurt Suzuki $3
1B-Miguel Cabrera $42
2B-Orlando Hudson $2
3B-Alex Gordon $15
SS-Stephen Drew $15
MI-Clint Barmes $3
CI-Adrian Gonzalez $14
OF-Chris Young $11
OF-BJ Upton $25
OF-Jay Bruce $17
OF-Andre Either $10
OF-Torii Hunter $4
UTIL-JJ Hardy $6
BN-Dioner Navarro $3
BN-Matt Wieters $9

P-Ted Lilly $6
P-Kevin Slowey $12
P-Clayton Kershaw $5
P-Chris Young $4
P-Mark Buehrle $3
P-Gavin Floyd $3
P-Matt Lindstrom $5
P-Matt Capps $10
P-Brian Wilson $10
BN-David Price $9

Minors
1.Matt LaPorta
We are still in our Minor League draft phase and 3 picks already I had 1st pick and we are on pick 4 (LaPorta, Cahill, Zimmerman)

I do plan on trading Mauer and maybe on more player for a better UTIL and a Pitcher

How did I do

leave a link and I will reply
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: my First Auction style draft

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Sorry forgot to mention its a 12 team league
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Robert1977 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Ina mixed league, you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone off the wire to help in your MI. I think Gordon was an overpay, but its always difficult when you're in an auction. I think you should look to make some kind of move with a starting pitcher or two.
Robert1977
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Well at that point all other decent options at 3B, where gone, The league commisioner inquired about Mauer and/or Wieters, I figure Navarro and Suzuki will be good enough if I am able to pick up a new CI and Starting Pitching (move Adrian Gonzalez to UTIL instead of CI and JJ Hardy to MI. I think the perfect fit for CI is Chris Davis if he has 1B/3B eligibility in ESPN leagues.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Bump
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MichaelH24 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 am

I like trading Mauer, Weiters is a gamble but could pay off. Decent team, maybe brush up on your RP's
MichaelH24
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:32 am

I think between Capps, Wilson , and Lindstrom I should be okay, i think I need to upgrade my starting pitching more
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 am

I haven't done an auction league, but yeah, probably some overpays there. At least your big money guy is as safe as it gets.

I think what you've already suggested is the right way to go. The guys at the end of your lineup (I just don't trust Barmes) and your starters could use upgrades. Mauer's the right guy to move for you, since you have too many catchers, he should fetch good players, and Wieters is a more likely keeper, anyway.

It doesn't look like your starters were bad values, just that you stuck with the hamburger when everyone needs a filet now and then.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 77)

Postby ninremix » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:58 am

MichaelH24 wrote:I like trading Mauer, Weiters is a gamble but could pay off. Decent team, maybe brush up on your RP's

Everyone is extremely excited about him BUT there is a possibility that he might not get the call up for a little while 1) the orioles don't need to him to win since they are not competing 2) He is Drew Rosenhien client and has said he would rather keep Wieter in minors longer to develop 3) Has never played AAA 4) arbitration...

There's another date worth watching, too. If he makes it through May (or perhaps early June) at Triple-A Norfolk before being recalled, he most likely will not be eligible for Super 2 arbitration status. That means his base salary won't skyrocket in arbitration until after his third season instead of his second. And that could have some effect on his free-agent asking price. Although, it's doubtful the Orioles are worried about when he gets to arbitration. When he gets to free agency, however, is a major issue.

Publicly, the Orioles say the reason Wieters is headed for Triple-A is because he has had just one year in pro ball and they want him to have success at the highest minor-league rung. There is merit in that, too. Enough merit, combined with the financial ramifications, that it was a no-brainer to start him in the minors in 2009.

source: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal- ... 057.column

As far as your draft ... I am not sold on Cabrera for $42 but i understand it happen it happens in auctions drafts, but might hurt you down the road if you are keeping his salary. Would def try to trade for a pitcher and put jj hardy in at MI and cross your fingers.

you have a young team that could develop to be really good overtime but i think your keepers are a little weak for next year which will hurt you in the long run as I don't see your team competing for the championship this year and not enough talent to worth keeping.

Keep in mind that I am biased as I have a win now attitude and usually trade for youth and future.

thanks for helping on mine
ninremix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:48 am

you have a young team that could develop to be really good overtime but i think your keepers are a little weak for next year which will hurt you in the long run as I don't see your team competing for the championship this year and not enough talent to worth keeping.

+1. I don't have experience with auction leagues, so I can't comment on who you overpaid for/got a deal on. I agree with the above poster, though, that you seem to be stuck in an unhappy middle ground between "set for this year" and "will be set next year".
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team