Jordan Schafer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jordan Schafer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jordan Schafer

Postby pmatt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Floor's around 275 avg with 10 homers 10 steals, his ceiling's 20-20, though that's incredibly unlikely. Expect around 15-15. A Poor man's Adam Jones.

I disagree, based on his minor league stats http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=13157
In AA ball last year he hit .269 with 18 Doubles, 6 Triples, 10 HR, 51 RBI, 12 Steals in 297ABs. Toss in a great K-BB ratio of 88-49.

I think he will score more runs than Jones and have a much better OBP and OPS.
I think he ends up a 20HR-35Doubles-12Triples-25SB guy that hits around .290 with close to 80 Runs scored.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:28 pm

pmatt wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:Floor's around 275 avg with 10 homers 10 steals, his ceiling's 20-20, though that's incredibly unlikely. Expect around 15-15. A Poor man's Adam Jones.

I disagree, based on his minor league stats http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=13157
In AA ball last year he hit .269 with 18 Doubles, 6 Triples, 10 HR, 51 RBI, 12 Steals in 297ABs. Toss in a great K-BB ratio of 88-49.

I think he will score more runs than Jones and have a much better OBP and OPS.
I think he ends up a 20HR-35Doubles-12Triples-25SB guy that hits around .290 with close to 80 Runs scored.

I was talking about this year, not in the future. This year he won't get the play time, or have the experience, to come close to those numbers. I agree though that eventually he'll be a 25-25 threat with some nice XBH numbers. A poor man's Granderson.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SignGuy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Jones>Schafer
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pmatt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:28 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:I was talking about this year, not in the future. This year he won't get the play time, or have the experience, to come close to those numbers. I agree though that eventually he'll be a 25-25 threat with some nice XBH numbers. A poor man's Granderson.

You might be surprised by his playing time this year, Bobby Cox is in love with this kids defense in CF. Diaz and Francour can't play Center, so that leaves his only competition as Blanco and Garrett Anderson. Anderson won't play CF much due to age, Bobby will pinch hit him and platoon him with Diaz in left and give him starts in RF if Francour is slumping. Blanco will spot start albiet rarely, his role is the team pinch runner. I don't think it's a stretch for Schafer to get 400 ABs.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 am

pmatt wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:I was talking about this year, not in the future. This year he won't get the play time, or have the experience, to come close to those numbers. I agree though that eventually he'll be a 25-25 threat with some nice XBH numbers. A poor man's Granderson.

You might be surprised by his playing time this year, Bobby Cox is in love with this kids defense in CF. Diaz and Francour can't play Center, so that leaves his only competition as Blanco and Garrett Anderson. Anderson won't play CF much due to age, Bobby will pinch hit him and platoon him with Diaz in left and give him starts in RF if Francour is slumping. Blanco will spot start albiet rarely, his role is the team pinch runner. I don't think it's a stretch for Schafer to get 400 ABs.

Anderson's getting a check from the Braves and has no other options. He's going to get the majority of CF AB's I'd bet.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:57 am

Anderson is now a Detroit Tiger.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pmatt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:31 am

Garrett Anderson has been very banged up this spring and thus has not seen the field much yet. That said, Schafer will see plenty of CF for the first few weeks of the season. If he continues to hit like he has and play D like he has...he'll be the every day CF. If not then all bets are off, but the leash will not be short.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates