Jordan Schafer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jordan Schafer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jordan Schafer

Postby pmatt » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:23 pm

What are the opinions here on what the Braves will do in the outfield?
See this report on Schafer: http://www.ajc.com/services/content/spo ... =inform_sr

Schafer's minor league stats: http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=13157
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jordan Schafer

Postby deejsixer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 am

Josh Anderson is out of options, so my guess is Anderson starts the season, then Schafer gets called up mid season.
deejsixer
T-Ball Trainer

Postby McStallen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:17 pm

I am in an NL-only auction keeper league with minor league slots- I just made a fairly big bid on Schafer- if he gets sent down to the minors, I can keep him on my team, which is good for me. BUT the thing is I am real thin at OF and really need him to start the season in the majors- if he starts the season in the minors, I am in a tight spot.

So I took a chance on him - I think he has a real good shot at starting the season in the majors, maybe in a platoon, and has great upside. But it's just real tough to predict what managers will do with young talent- the safe move (which most teams do) is to send the player down for a little mre experience and not risk rushing the prospect- I am just hoping this situation is an exception...
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby pmatt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:28 pm

pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby neoforce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:57 pm

deejsixer wrote:Josh Anderson is out of options, so my guess is Anderson starts the season, then Schafer gets called up mid season.

Anderson traded to the Tigers today. http://www.freep.com/article/20090330/S ... +make+club

Good chance Schafer makes the team.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pmatt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

OUTSTANDING NEWS! thanks for posting
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Montana168 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:08 pm

what does that mean for josh anderson? is he now the 4th OF in detroit and will come in to pinch run and to give ordonez and guillen occassional days off? or does guillen move back to the INF and anderson plays left or move grandy to left? anderson has great speed and could be a nice sleeper if he starts in detroit. anderson stole 70+ bases 2 years ago 8-o
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 pm

What kind of numbers does Schafer project at? I honestly know nothing about the guy. How would he compare to a Brett Gardner or Daniel Murphy?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:What kind of numbers does Schafer project at? I honestly know nothing about the guy. How would he compare to a Brett Gardner or Daniel Murphy?

Floor's around 275 avg with 10 homers 10 steals, his ceiling's 20-20, though that's incredibly unlikely. Expect around 15-15. A Poor man's Adam Jones.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby McStallen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Schafer should have better plate discipline and a little more power than Jones. Jones' plate discipline to date has been what is holding him back- maybe this year Jones will start to overcome that.

Schafer is young and raw and will probably have his ups and downs. But if Schafer gets enough PT, I think you will get a little better hitting numbers (AVG, OPS, R, RBIs) from Schafer than Jones but Jones should beat him out in steals. As it stands now, I think Jones will see a lot more action while Schafer may be eased into things via a platoon.

If Schafer gets enough PT, I think you will see numbers like Joey Votto last year but with a few more steals and a few less RBIs.
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates