Tigers Closer Situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Tigers Closer Situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers Closer Situation

Postby deejsixer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 am

This sounds crazy, but does rookie Ryan Perry have a shot at stealing the job. The rest of the candidates have a proven track record of sucking in the closers role. What other choice do they have?
deejsixer
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tigers Closer Situation

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:01 am

i highly doubt it out of the gate...but later in the year they may not have a choice
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby McStallen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Is Rodney worth drafting around round 20 in a mixed league? Lyon is still on the board, as is Motte, Villanueva, Sherrill and Ziegler- most other closer candidates are gone.
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:07 pm

I really don't understand all the disbelief in Lyon. He was lights out in the first half last year and wore down. Rodney is horrible and Zumaya can't stay healthy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I really don't understand all the disbelief in Lyon. He was lights out in the first half last year and wore down. Rodney is horrible and Zumaya can't stay healthy.

agreed 100%... ive been grabbing this guy in the later rounds and just loving it... Lyon has good stuff for a closer and can get the job done, and i agree all this talk about Zumaya being just so amazing and the next big thing a few years back, now this guy can't even stay healthy for half a season let alone a full season, and Rodney haha yeah like he hasn't had his shots in the past that hes blown... Lyon is the guy and will be the guy...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I really don't understand all the disbelief in Lyon. He was lights out in the first half last year and wore down. Rodney is horrible and Zumaya can't stay healthy.

It could be the career 4.46 ERA, or maybe its the career 1.42 WHIP, or maybe its the absolutely HORRID K/9...It just might be how hittable he is leading to a very high BAA, or maybe its the fact that he has never successfully closed for 1 full season, maybe its the disgusting 2nd half he had that I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole...Take your pick.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:42 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:

It could be the career 4.46 ERA, or maybe its the career 1.42 WHIP, or maybe its the absolutely HORRID K/9...It just might be how hittable he is leading to a very high BAA, or maybe its the fact that he has never successfully closed for 1 full season, maybe its the disgusting 2nd half he had that I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole...Take your pick.

or maybe the fact that he keeps the job is a real simple answer, no tiger pitcher seems to be able to stay healthy or has a better track record then he does... hmmm...

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby McStallen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:55 pm

to the OP who does not understand my disbelief in lyon... i don't understand how anyone can have any belief in lyon.

have you done fantasy baseball before? i have had lyon on 5-6 teams over the years - he starts out OK for a month or two and then there is one implosion after another- no thanks- not going down that road again- he can't strike anoyne out and it is just a matter of time before he starts getting knocked around
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 pm

McStallen wrote:to the OP who does not understand my disbelief in lyon... i don't understand how anyone can have any belief in lyon.

have you done fantasy baseball before? i have had lyon on 5-6 teams over the years - he starts out OK for a month or two and then there is one implosion after another- no thanks- not going down that road again- he can't strike anoyne out and it is just a matter of time before he starts getting knocked around

so the purpose of this post was what exactly? to 2nd guess the fantasy skills of some submitting their opinion? good one man...

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:

That doesn't change the fact his only competition is Fernando Rodney and he has been an above average pitcher the last 3 years.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates