Yahoo draft re-sorts after first pick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo draft re-sorts after first pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo draft re-sorts after first pick?

Postby rainman23 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:12 am

Sorry if this is old news. I did a search last night and came up empty. Anyway -- we did our Yahoo draft last night. Things went as expected during the first round. At that point, though, it looks like Yahoo re-sorted our draft sequence. I had the 12th pick in the first round, then had to wait until the middle of the second round to draft agan. The rest of the draft proceeded based upon the new sequence that was established between the first and second rounds.

Is this old news? An acknowledged periodic ghost in the machine? A swell new feature?

This obviously puts people at a disadvantage that drafted late in the first round. They don't get the normal bounce you expect coming back the other way. More than that, though -- our waiver priorities, of course, are set based upon the REVISED sort sequence. So some of us got screwed in the first round, and then got screwed again on our WP. I forget -- the latter CAN be reset by the commissioner, right?

Just wondering if our league is alone here...
Last edited by rainman23 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo draft re-sorts after first pick?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 pm

That sure sounds like your commish played with the new feature to make a custom draft order and left it in a funny state. If you want to post a link to your league, I can try to confirm that.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby rainman23 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Here's the link:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/216724

We'll appreciate anything you can tell us, Genie. Thanks.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Yup. Sure enough. If you look at your league transactions, you'll see:

3/24 Individual draft picks customized
3/24 Custom snaking draft order set for all rounds
3/24 Draft Order changed from 'random' to 'custom'

The bottom one means the commish used the tool to say, "I don't want you to pick a custom draft order."
The middle one means that the commish set a particular order, and set it to snake for all rounds.
The top one means the commish went into one or more rounds and tweaked individual picks. Which sounds like exactly what you saw.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Commish basically cheated. Probably set his draft position at one he thought would be advantageous to him.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rainman23 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 pm

What's the nature of this customization feature, Genie? What kinds of things are you able to do in there? I haven't been a commissioner in several years....
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Commish basically cheated.

This.

Although there's an outside possibility that he meant to only cheat a little. He might have thought that after giving himself the first pick (assuming the draft order in the first round had him with pick #1), then the remaining rounds would automatically rearrange themselves to correspond with the customized first round.

If he didn't pick at the top of the draft, he may have been messing around with the commish features and made a mistake...either way, it sounds like some of the managers got screwed over pretty good.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:45 pm

rainman23 wrote:What's the nature of this customization feature, Genie? What kinds of things are you able to do in there? I haven't been a commissioner in several years....

It allows leagues to trade picks, so you can slot a team into any particular draft slot in any particular round.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:51 pm

fezzik wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Commish basically cheated.

This.

Although there's an outside possibility that he meant to only cheat a little. He might have thought that after giving himself the first pick (assuming the draft order in the first round had him with pick #1), then the remaining rounds would automatically rearrange themselves to correspond with the customized first round.

If he didn't pick at the top of the draft, he may have been messing around with the commish features and made a mistake...either way, it sounds like some of the managers got screwed over pretty good.

Looks like he was messing around with stuff he shouldn't have been. IMO, unless your league agreed to some special draft order, the commish touched something he shouldn't have been touching. Intentional=bad commish. Accidental= stupid mistake. He probably west just innocently playing with the Commish's features, but your league has the right to be upset.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby fezzik » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:57 pm

thedude wrote:Looks like he was messing around with stuff he shouldn't have been. IMO, unless your league agreed to some special draft order, the commish touched something he shouldn't have been touching. Intentional=bad commish. Accidental= stupid mistake.

Absolutely. If the tone of my post came across as defending the commish, it was not intended.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers