Need Advice Please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Need Advice Please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Advice Please

Postby Chrgrs17 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:02 am

Hey guys, I don't follow baseball very closely, I need advice on my team. I totally forgot about the draft, so the CPU had to do it. I'm so mad. How did it do for me? How can I improve my team? Thanks in advanced guys,

Cbssports 10 team H2H league:

Starting Batters:
Jorge Posada C NYY
Lance Berkman 1B HOU
Kelly Johnson 2B ATL
Garrett Atkins 3B COL
Mike Aviles SS KC
Curtis Granderson CF DET
Conor Jackson 1B ARI (eligible as OF)
Carlos Quentin LF CHW
James Loney 1B LA (Utility player)

Starting Pitchers:
Dan Heron SP ARI
John Lackey SP ANA
Tim Lincecum SP SF
Mike Pelfrey SP NYM
Johan Santana SP NYM
Kevin Gregg RP CHC
Anthony Reyes SP CLE (eligible at RP)

Reserves:
Brandon Inge 3b DET
Jermaine Dye RF CHW
Brad Hawpe RF COL
Vernon Wells CF TOR
Delmon Young LF MIN

Any advice? Should I sub one of the reserves into my starting lineup? I obviously need some more depth at other positions. Like I said, I don't follow baseball a lot. I'm more of a football guy. I'd appreciate any comments.

Scoring System:

Batting
1B - Singles 1 point
2B - Doubles 2 points
3B - Triples 3 points
BB - Walks (Batters) 1 point
CS - Caught Stealing -1 point
HBP - 1 point
HR - Home Runs 4 points
KO - Strikeouts (Batter) -0.5 points
R - Runs 1 point
RBI - Runs Batted In 1 point
SB - Stolen Bases 2 points

Pitching:
BBI - Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point
BS - Blown Saves -2 points
ER - Earned Runs -2 points
HA - Hits Allowed -1 point
INN - Innings 3 points
K - Strikeouts (Pitcher) 1 point
L - Losses -5 points
S - Saves 5 points
SO - Shutouts 5 points
W - Wins 7 points
Last edited by Chrgrs17 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some babies die by chance... no baby should die by choice.
Chrgrs17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need Advice Please

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:16 pm

It's always tough to give advice for a points league, if I haven't played in a similar league before. I'll give it a shot, but this is fair warning that I haven't done a league like this, so take my advice fwiw.

Your starting pitching is great, don't touch that. But I wouldn't pitch Marmol if he isn't the closer. Middle relievers in your league have the risk of getting a blown save and/or a loss, without the upside of getting saves. You don't have to drop him; I'd stash him on the bench for a while, to see what happens. (Or try trading him to whoever has Gregg -- see if you can get something decent in exchange for the handcuff.) If there's a decent closer on the wire (Motte?), I'd drop JD Drew for him, and plug him into one of those rp slots.

It's hard for me to judge your hitters, just because I haven't used this point system, but they seem to be good. Except Inge -- I dunno, but I doubt he's the best catcher you can field in this league. Who else is on the wire?

If you have a DL spot, you'll be able to use that for Lackey to start the season, so look for someone you'll want to pick up.

Try to trade some of those outfielders. You have a huge logjam there; the players on your bench are valuable, but won't play much for you. I'd look to get more pitching in return.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrgrs17 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice, Jason Motte is still on the market so I will look into picking him up. Keep in mind though that I do get 3 points for each inning pitched. That is where Marmol would have the advantage over Motte or any other closer. How many more innings would he pitch? Maybe 2 or 3? (Like I said, i don't follow baseball much). If he pitches three more innings then the closer, he would earn 9 points which over sets the blown save risk. A closer is less likely to blow a save, but that is only -2 points and he doesn't get that 6 or 9 point bonus that Marmol would get. Do you see what I am trying to say?

As for Inge, I wasn't too excited myself about him. The top catchers on the market are Dioner Navarro, Jorge Posada, and Matt Wieters. Jorge Posada is coming of that surgery so I am a little concerned with that. Matt Wieters will start out in Triple A. From what I have read, Navrro doesn't seem like a bad option, what do you guys think of him?
Chrgrs17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:43 pm

I actually have a draft in a few minutes, so I have to be quick. You have a good point about Marmol, but I think you're overestimating how many innings he gets. In most cases, I think he pitches only one inning, same as Gregg. In some cases, he'll pitch 2. I think 3 inning outings will be VERY rare, and I doubt he ever goes 4. Over the course of the season, IF the roles stay intact (Gregg as closer, Marmol as setup/important innings guy -- big if, of course), I imagine he might get 20-30 innings more. I don't think it'll be enough to make up for the saves. One way to check is to compare what he and Wood did last year (Marmol would be in basically the same role, and he had about 20 ip more than Wood). My guess is that Wood was still more valuable, but it's worth checking.

And I'm not saying you have to drop Marmol. I'd be hesitant about doing that. (And certainly at least wait for the closer announcement tomorrow.) But it would at least be good to get another true reliever for the days Reyes isn't pitching.

As for catcher, Navarro is okay, dependable. I'd find a way to stash Wieters, because the payoff for you is pretty great (especially in a h2h, where it's more important to dominate at the end of the season than at the beginning). At least try to pick him up before his call-up, because catcher is a big weak spot for you. As for the others, again, I'd compare what they did last year. And personally, I'd go for Posada (probably -- again, I'd have to check how the points work out). Too much upside, especially when he won't take as much wear and tear, not catching every day. Also, if Sandoval is available and qualifies at catcher, he's a guy I love -- good hitter, and should be the everyday 3b for the Giants. So he'll play more than most catchers and not take quite the beating.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Navarro is good, but a great sleeper option is Kurt Suzuki who could go .280 15 hrs this season ,and he doesnt have a real back up so he will get lots of at bats like last year (500+), I agree get Motte for Anthony Reyes, and trade Marmol and JD Drew for a Closer, Inge will be good off the bench. I would also shop Dye and Wells for more youthful Offense, Dye usually follows good years with bad ones and Wells isn't very good anymore

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=374440
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Chrgrs17 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Kurt Suzuki is not availible. Gregg is on waivers. Should I go after Gregg? I think I'm going to trade J.D. Drew for either Wieters or Posada. If I do this, who should I give up for a guy like Motte or Gregg?
Chrgrs17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Just drop Inge. He produces little and has virtually no upside, there's no reason to spend a bench spot on him.

Personally, I prefer Motte, but that's a judgement call. No wrong way to go. Motte has Perez behind him, some people don't believe he'll hold onto the job, but damn it if he doesn't throw hard and strike out a ton of people. Otoh, the Cubs may be the stronger team, but Gregg's got Marmol there, and he doesn't have dominant stuff (which is not to say he's a bad pitcher).

I'd even think about dropping Delmon in order to get both, but I imagine others would disagree. (I guess I'm just not a believer.)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 am

You know Delmon isintriguing he could be a 30/30 guy, but I think he may be the uncoachable type. I know he must hate it in Minnesota,too many crackers there lol, who knows though of what he can produce.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=374440
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Chrgrs17 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Ok, I just dropped Marmol and picked up Gregg since Gregg was just named the closer. I also dropped J.D. Drew for Jorge Posada. Anybody other advice?
Last edited by Chrgrs17 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chrgrs17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Well, like I said, I don't see the point in holding onto Inge. I'd drop him for Motte. I know Motte isn't established, and I'm not saying Perez isn't a good pitcher, himself, but Motte definitely got the stuff to be a shutdown closer. Inge is a mediocre hitter who might be useful (slightly) once or twice a week. Motte could become a dominant closer on a decent team. For me, that's an easy choice. And I'd still try to trade one of your outfielders. Getting a good extra starter in return could help you rack up more innings, more k's...more points. Otherwise, I think you're good to start the year.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team