More HR's M Cab or Braun? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More HR's, M Cab or Braun?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Miguel Cabrera
35
70%
Ryan Braun
15
30%
 
Total votes : 50

Re: More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:20 am

Braun for HR. Cabrera for R/AVG. Pretty close in SB though I'll take Braun in that one. Very close in R though my money is on Cabrera.

The Braun injury is a wildcard but it doesn't sound serious and honestly either one could get hurt and change things so going to just ignore that for this particular question. If one person gets hurt it changes things, there is no huge compelling reason to think either one will have longterm injury issues.
Last edited by Ender on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:32 am

I don't see any reason why M-Cab can't hit 40. It was an adjustment year for him last year and still he managed 37 homers. Comerica has become more homer-friendly since opening up with a reputation for being pitcher-friendly.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21935
(Past Year: 671)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:15 am

duckbillgates wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:
Huh?

Both hit 37 last year. M-Cab had 21 after the All-Star break to Braun's 14.

In his second full season in the AL, my money would be on Cabrera.


Did you really look at all the facts before that 'huh"?

Braun matched Cabrera's career high of 37, in only his 2nd year in the big leauges (2008).
Also back in 2007 (Braun's 1st season) he also matched Cabrera's career high at the time, which was 34......and Braun did it in 44 less games.

Obviously current health is an issue, and I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have MCab (especially since he's 3B eligible), but to me there's little doubt that Braun has at least a little more power potential.

Career HR per AB
MCab approx 1 HR per 19 AB
Braun approx 1 HR per 15 AB

I think Braun has a little more power, but I also think I'd rather have MCab for this year.


Oh, I'm not arguing that they aren't close. That's why the "huh?" in response to someone saying that Braun was the undoubted HR leader.

As for the career stats, M-Cab spent his first five years in a ballpark that was awful for hitters with little protection. After adjusting to the new league (don't underestimate that), he proceeded to go off on a second-half pace of 1 HR per 12.8 AB.

And he's younger than Braun, but with 616 more games of MLB experience. I just don't see Braun having any more power potential.

Both are great young hitters, though. No argument on that.


Maybe its just me, but Im pretty convinced that Braun is the superior power prospect. Im confident Braun will hit at least 40 HR's this season...and I also know that Cabrera hit a career high 37 HR's last year. Thats why I said there is no question, perhaps I could have worded it differently.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2583
(Past Year: 429)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 am

Ender wrote:Braun for HR. Cabrera for R/AVG. Pretty close in SB though I'll take Braun in that one. Very close in R though my money is on Cabrera.

The Braun injury is a windcard but it doesn't sound serious and honestly either one could get hurt and change things so going to just ignore that for this particular question. If one person gets hurt it changes things, there is no huge compelling reason to think either one will have longterm injury issues.

Why do you say its pretty close in SB? is Cabrera expected to run more this year?
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2583
(Past Year: 429)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 am

NikkiSixx wrote:
Ender wrote:Braun for HR. Cabrera for R/AVG. Pretty close in SB though I'll take Braun in that one. Very close in R though my money is on Cabrera.

The Braun injury is a windcard but it doesn't sound serious and honestly either one could get hurt and change things so going to just ignore that for this particular question. If one person gets hurt it changes things, there is no huge compelling reason to think either one will have longterm injury issues.

Why do you say its pretty close in SB? is Cabrera expected to run more this year?

That's what I was thinking. :-?
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

Re: More HR's M Cab or Braun?

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:39 am

NikkiSixx wrote:Why do you say its pretty close in SB? is Cabrera expected to run more this year?


Because in my mind Cabrera still steals 5-10 bases a year though now that I look at it I see he stopped the last 2 years~. I take that part back, though I think Braun's SB will go down over time, it isn't an important part of his game.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact