how does this look guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

how does this look guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

how does this look guys?

Postby pmatt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:44 pm

12 team, 21 man roster, H2H points league.

Points as follows:
R 1
H 1
2B .50
3B 1.5
HR 3
RBI 1
SB 1.5
CS -1
BB .5
K -.5
GIDP -.5
E -.5
CYC 15
SLAM 5
OFA .5
IP .25
W 5
L -2.5
CG 5
SHO 5
SV 2.5
BB -.25
K 1
HLD .75
NH 10
PG 15
QS 2.5
BSV -2.5

5 Bench slots and 1 Disabled list spot

Here's my team (I had 12th pick):

C- Ramón Hernández
1B -Carlos Delgado
2B - Brian Roberts
3B - Jorge Cantu
SS - Steven Drew
OF - Jacob Ellsbury, Nick Markakis, Pat Burrell
Util – 2B Dan Uggla
BN - 1B, James Loney, OF Garrett Anderson, OF Jeff Francour
SP - CC Sabathia, Roy Halladay, Adam Wainwright, Rich Harden
RP - Carlos Mármol, Brad Ziegler, Heath Bell
BN - Damaso Marte, Scot Shields

Best waiver players available:
OF (MIN) Denard Span, (KC) Coco Crisp, (KC) Jose Guillen, (TOR) Adam Lind, (OAK) Jack Cust, (NYM) Daniel Murphy, (TEX) David Murphy
Util (CLE) Travis Hafner,
3B (SDG) Kevin Kouzmanoff,
1B (CLE) Ryan Garko, (COL) Todd Helton
C (HOU) Ivan Rodriguez, (TEX) Taylor Teagarden, (DET) Geraad Laird
SP John Maine, Mike Pelfrey, Chris Volstad,
RP Jason Motte, Dan Wheeler, Grant Balfour,JJ Putz,

Thinking of dropping Garrett Anderson for a hitting upgrade, thoughts among those listed?
Also considering dropping Marte and Bell for Motte and Balfour or Putz, thoughts?
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: how does this look guys?

Postby ike301 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 pm

i like Balfour and putz. good mr
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.

"I know what I speak, and I speak what I know."
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pmatt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Dropped Marte and Shields for Motte and Balfour...strikeout and hold potential similar and Motte and Balfour have bigger upside for Saves.

Still unsure about what to do with Anderson's slot though.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Robbierob99 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:13 pm

C- Ramón Hernández
1B -Carlos Delgado
2B - Brian Roberts
3B - Jorge Cantu
SS - Steven Drew
OF - Jacob Ellsbury, Nick Markakis, Pat Burrell
Util – 2B Dan Uggla
BN - 1B, James Loney, OF Garrett Anderson, OF Jeff Francour
SP - CC Sabathia, Roy Halladay, Adam Wainwright, Rich Harden
RP - Carlos Mármol, Brad Ziegler, Heath Bell
BN - Damaso Marte, Scot Shields

I'm really big on Ellsbury, Markakis and Roberts
I also think Ramón Hern. can trump his numbers from last year and is a steal at Catcher.
Delgado worries me quite a bit, as does Cantu and Drew.
I think UGGLA actually has a repeat of last season, but with improved BA, I wanted him on my team, but got chopped.

I'm a huge fan of your RP's with Marmol as the only potential exception (I think he gets moved back to Setup man). I see you guys have points for holds, so that might not hurt you too badly - he'll still have great ERA, Ks, and WHIP.

As for your SPs: You got this so right - I think Wainwright surprises people this year and Harden will stay healthy. And we all know what a healthy Harden is capable of.

Looking at your waiver wire, I don't see anywhere for you to upgrade unless Ramon is a bust (in which case I like all three you picked IRod, Teabagger, and Laird)
Also, Hafner could be back to his 2007 tricks as well, so keep a close eye on him.
Robbierob99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Meddler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:23 pm

This is an interesting team. Its definitely a different strategy than the one I'd take, but it has lots of upside.

What I like:

Your pitching is very nice. You may or may not have to scrounge a few saves from the waiver wire, but there's nothing wrong with that IMO, that's the best category to leave to the wire. Still, you're only really guaranteed closer is Heath Bell, and he's on such a bad team, he just won't have that many chances. If Marmol wins the job for the Cubs though, you're in solid shape. He's obviously a great arm, and he plays on a good team, so if he's closing games he'll get plenty of saves, and combined with Bell should put you in nice shape.

Otherwise, gotta love CC and Halladay. CC's a stud, and though Halladay may be be a small step down fantasy-wise from CC, he's uber-reliable. I really like Wainwright too as a semi-sleeper. He's risky due to health, but his upside is a lot higher than he gets credit for.

What I don't like:

Though your offense is balanced overall, its very "spread out". You have a lot of outstanding 1-3 category type players. Ellsubry, Burrell, Delgado, Uggla, Hernandez. That concerns me a little bit, but you supported them well early in the draft. Your Orioles look like the key to the team to me, and "Mr. Popular," Stephen Drew. Roberts is very nice complementary piece for all of your poor AVG sluggers; assuming you took him in the first three or four rounds, the strategy seems fairly sound. Being that its a points league, I guess that doesn't matter so much, but I always like to think about it that way. Categorical versatility in a player reduces risk, IMO, since even if they struggle in a certain way, they're still likely to retain some value.
Meddler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pmatt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Robbierob99, Thanks for reply and I understand your concerns, especially with Cantu' but all 3 were reaction picks due to limited other choices at those positions. I reached out of panic with Cantu and possibly Drew.

Drew was 84th overall pick (next SS's taken were Jeter, Hardy and Kendrick...picks 104-106)
Cantu' was 108th overall pick (next 3B taken were Beltre 117, DeRosa 155, Encarnación 169, and Mark Reynolds 208)
Delgado 133 overall (Next 1B taken was Conor Jackson at #150)

I honestly think Delgado was the last 30HR, 100 RBI 1st baseman left when I got him.
Last edited by pmatt on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pmatt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Meddler,

Thanks for the comments...I didn't worry so much when I missed out on the stud closers due to it being a points league and Holds counting .75 per. Only time will tell I suppose...hopefully Marmal pans out as a closer.

Here's my draft order:

1. (12) CC Sabathia
2. (13) Roy Halladay
3. (36) Brian Roberts
4. (37) Nick Markakis
5. (60) Dan Uggla
6. (61) Jacoby Ellsbury
7. (84) Stephen Drew
8. (85) Rich Harden
9. (108) Jorge Cantú
10. (109) Carlos Mármol
11. (132) Adam Wainwright
12. (133) Carlos Delgado
13. (156) Heath Bell
14. (157) Scot Shields
15. (180) Pat Burrell
16. (181) James Loney
17. (204) Dámaso Marte
18. (205) Dan Wheeler
19. (228) Garret Anderson
20. (229) Ramón Hernández
21. (252) Jeff Francoeur
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Robbierob99 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 pm

pmatt wrote:Robbierob99, Thanks for reply and I understand your concerns, especially with Cantu' but all 3 were reaction picks due to limited other choices at those positions. I reached out of panic with Cantu and possibly Drew.

Drew was 84th overall pick (next SS's taken were Jeter, Hardy and Kendrick...picks 104-106)
Cantu' was 108th overall pick (next 3B taken were Beltre 117, DeRosa 155, Encarnación 169, and Mark Reynolds 208)
Delgado 133 overall (Next 1B taken was Conor Jackson at #150)

I honestly think Delgado was the last 30HR, 100 RBI 1st baseman left when I got him.

I can see the reach on Delgado, and you could very well be right. But last season's resurgence had that "this is my last wind" type feel to it in my opinion.
I think he more likely reverts to 1st half 2008 than reclaims the 2nd half glory.

In regards to Drew, Cantu, and Delgado:
I wish you had taken KENDRICK, HARDY or, yes, even JETER over Drew. Just my opinion. The good news, drew has bigger UPSIDE than all of them, but I just don't see it happening.
I like DeRosa and Beltre better than Cantú simply because DeRosa has multi-position appeal and Beltre is in a contract year. BUT again, Cantú has lots of UPSIDE, you could look very smart.
I LOVE CONOR JACKSON, I think he breaks out this year, please trade delgado for him if they'll have it. Conor is at that 27y/o breakout age and I think the dBacks score lots more runs this year. :-D
Robbierob99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pmatt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Conor Jackson reminds me of Mark Grace, nice player...hit's .300 but never hits over 20 HR or 100 RBI (averages in 70's)

We'll have to agree to disagree here...it pains me to say it as a Brave fan but Delgado IMO on that team has potential for better overall numbers.
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pmatt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 pm

any thoughts on this question guys "Thinking of dropping Garrett Anderson for a hitting upgrade, thoughts among those listed?"

OF (MIN) Denard Span, (KC) Coco Crisp, (KC) Jose Guillen, (TOR) Adam Lind, (OAK) Jack Cust, (NYM) Daniel Murphy, (TEX) David Murphy
Util (CLE) Travis Hafner,
3B (SDG) Kevin Kouzmanoff,
1B (CLE) Ryan Garko, (COL) Todd Helton
pmatt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team