Thoughts on Gordon Beckham - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Gordon Beckham

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Gordon Beckham

Postby candyman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am

What is everybody's opinion on Beckham? Obviously we all know he's starting the season in the minors, and all reports are saying he'll go down and play only SS. This just seems strange to me, how does this figure into the White Sox future plans?

If they are serious about letting Alexei stick at SS, how does it make sense to have Beckham playing SS as well, especially with the open competition at 2B? Unless they have plans to move ARam back to 2B or strictly to OF, I don't see how Beckham contributes this season. If Alexei works out at SS (which I'm assuming he will, and I can't see them continuing to bounce him around the diamond), it seems they have their long-term answer there.

So where does that leave Beckham? What are your thoughts on him for this season and next? I'd like to think he could contribute this year and be full-time next, seeing as how he had a pretty solid spring and obviously has the potential, but I don't know if it is in the cards.

Thoughts?
candyman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Gordon Beckham

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:31 am

Beckham will play 2B and he should be on everyone's radar because he is a middle infield prospect who isn't either terrible or years away, I think he's the only one who fits both criteria.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby candyman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Beckham will play 2B and he should be on everyone's radar because he is a middle infield prospect who isn't either terrible or years away, I think he's the only one who fits both criteria.

I agree he SHOULD play 2B, but wouldn't you think they'd have him playin 2B in the minors if that was their intentions. All reports I've heard on the radio out here is that he'll be playing SS in Birmingham.

Unless they plan on shifting ARam back to 2B or OF next year, I don't see how Beckham will be contributing soon unfortunately, because he seems close.
candyman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:56 am

It's possible that they are using Beckham at SS at AA because they don't think that Alexei is a long-term answer defensively at SS. He did not grade statistically at 2B last season (any visual observation opinions?) so he might be viewed as a stopgap at SS. And then go back to 2B or even CF neither of which are Sox strengths.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the Sox are committed to playing Ramirez at shortstop for the next 10 years or so.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:33 pm

I think I recall reading a scouting report on Beckham that said he did not have a ML SS arm. I would assume that even though he is playing SS now that the Sox do not plan on him being a ML SS. I would assume that given the limited # of professional AB's that he has that the Sox do not want to have him making multiple changes at one time. So let him play his normal position while getting comfortable as a professional than as his comfort level at the plate increases than they can change his position.

Also the Sox may not know at this time if his long term position will be 2B or 3B. It would be a mistake to send him down and play 2B and than the Sox discover that the big league 2B is doing well but Fields is having a difficult time at 3B and than make Beckham learn another position.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:46 pm

I think he is a great low risk prospect, and one of those guys who will be a little more valuable in fantasy than in real life. What is not to like about a 2B with some power who will sometime soon be playing in the most HR-friendly park in the AL?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kraftwerk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Overrated as a player, no pace, but his Mrs is a fine piece of tail ;-D
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer