Buchholz and Masterson: In the Rotation or no? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Buchholz and Masterson: In the Rotation or no?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buchholz and Masterson: In the Rotation or no?

Postby sigriffey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Are either Buchholz or Masterson guaranteed a spot in the Red Sox rotation? Are either worth owning in a 12 Team H2H league?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buchholz and Masterson: In the Rotation or no?

Postby TonightWeDineinHell » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Not only are Masterson and Clay not guaranteed a spot, I don't think either of them have a shot at being in the rotation to start the year, barring injury.

Looking at the schedule, the Sox won't need a fifth starter until, I believe, April 12th. That gives Penny an extra week to get healthy, and I can't see them sending him to the bullpen if he's ready at that point. That means Masterson in the pen, Clay down on the farm.

Masterson would be a useful player for your rations if you're punting saves in H2H, while Buccholz has more upside, especially in light of his recent performance. I consider Masterson ownable in deep 10 and 12 team mixed, with Buccholz being more of a "monitor closely guy" unless the league is extremely deep or a keeper format. Right now, my gut says Masterson gets the call if the team needs a spot start, whereas Clay would be the guy if someone went down long term. That could change if he shreds the bats in AAA, though.
TonightWeDineinHell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:38 am

from what i've read, it all comes down to penny's health and how he looks on Saturday.

Masterson will most likely go to the pen and he might have value in deeper leagues where his SP/RP eligibility would be useful if you're looking for hlds or someone help keep the ERA/WHIP down.

I'm pretty sure Clay is gonna start the season in AAA and spot start when someone goes down. Penny was never healthy or effective last year and Wakefield is pushing 40 so he'll get called-up at some point. Also, remember that Smoltz is on pace to come back toward the end of ?May?. Clay will have value if someone gets hurt, but I think his starts will be inconsistent this year.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 am

Zhangman1 wrote:from what i've read, it all comes down to penny's health and how he looks on Saturday.

Masterson will most likely go to the pen and he might have value in deeper leagues where his SP/RP eligibility would be useful if you're looking for hlds or someone help keep the ERA/WHIP down.

I'm pretty sure Clay is gonna start the season in AAA and spot start when someone goes down. Penny was never healthy or effective last year and Wakefield is pushing 40 so he'll get called-up at some point. Also, remember that Smoltz is on pace to come back toward the end of ?May?. Clay will have value if someone gets hurt, but I think his starts will be inconsistent this year.

;-D ;-D ;-D
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Injuries & Player Updates