Ethics Dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Ethics Dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ethics Dilemma

Postby SumG » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:25 pm

A manager in our league recently dropped a player from their team that has no business being on the waiver wire. Our league also only keeps the most recent 5 or so transactions on the front page of the league.

Is it acceptable to make a number of garbage transactions to replace the notification of said good player on the waiver wire (in hopes that no one with a higher waiver priority claims him), or is this behavior in bad taste?
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ethics Dilemma

Postby lilfrier » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:01 pm

It depends on the level of the player. If you mean someone that's a legitimate fantasy starter on any team, you SHOULD undo the transaction if it's just some blatant move for no reason that seems wrong. But, you have NO right to try to hide a drop for your own benefit, or for the specific benefit of anyone. That's abusing your commissioner powers. Who is the player in question?
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 am

SumG wrote:Is it acceptable to make a number of garbage transactions to replace the notification of said good player on the waiver wire (in hopes that no one with a higher waiver priority claims him), or is this behavior in bad taste?

Sure it's acceptable. It's not something to be proud of, but it's acceptable.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SumG » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:16 am

lilfrier wrote:But, you have NO right to try to hide a drop for your own benefit, or for the specific benefit of anyone. That's abusing your commissioner powers.

I wasn't talking about using commish powers to do this. Another manager in my league did this with random FA pickups and drops.

lilfrier wrote:Who is the player in question?

The player in question, if it matters, is Weiters. I can understand why the manager might not want him on his team, but he's a guy that shouldn't be on the wire.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:05 pm

Is it a keeper league or no? In a non-keeper league, dropping Matt Wieters is totally acceptable IMO. He's starting at Triple A, and how many players are really fantasy studs as true rookies? If it's a non-keeper with shallow rosters that make holding a second catcher difficult or impossible, it's also not totally insane. Wieters hasn't done anything at the big league level... he has not earned "undroppable" status by any stretch of the imagination.

The bumping the transaction of the league home page or whatever is pretty fishy. Mostly, I just think it's insulting to the intelligence of the other managers in the league... as if you guys wouldn't realize what was happening and simply click the link to view all transactions... please.

All in all, the guy sounds like a blockhead, but I don't think he's done anything illegal or unethical. Just strategically unwise, and a little shady. There's nothing you as Commish should really do, other than make a post calling him out.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:53 pm

SumG wrote:Is it acceptable to make a number of garbage transactions to replace the notification of said good player on the waiver wire (in hopes that no one with a higher waiver priority claims him), or is this behavior in bad taste?

Ha! It's a little fugazi but it's allowed. That will teach everyone to click on view all when they are looking at recent transactions.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby jetd12 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:23 pm

A little insulting to their intelligence, maybe - but not illegal at all.

If this actually works you are playing with some real idiots though
jetd12
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaxJTucker41 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Who was the player? And no, its legal. Its just stupid.
C - Wieters
1B - Pena
2B - tley
SS - Reyes
MI - Drew
3B - Ramirez
OF - Ramirez
OF - Lee
OF - Beltran
OF - Braun
OF - Pence

SP - Lincecum
SP - Danks
SP - Mccarthy
SP - Burnett
SP - Gallagher
SP - Lindstrom
SP - Cordero

09 CHAMPIONSHIP!
MaxJTucker41
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:18 am

it's lame, but i guess you could do it. i mostly play in CBS leagues and get email on add/drops anyway, so i dont rely on the front page
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby tah161 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 am

Is this a keeper league?

How many teams are in the league?

Why shouldnt Wieters be on the WW? If its a shallow non-keeper league, no reason why the guy cant trade to "hide" him.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner