Leftovers darft analysis! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Leftovers League

Leftovers darft analysis!

Moderator: rotoquest

Leftovers darft analysis!

Postby RedBullVodka » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:22 pm

With apologies to Aussie Dodger for the blatant plagiarism...

1. What was your draft strategy?

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft?

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft?

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3?

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3?

6. The best pick that you made

7. The worst pick that you made

8. What player is the biggest key to your success?

9. Your team's weak/strong points

:-D
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Leftovers darft analysis!

Postby RedBullVodka » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:24 pm

I'd love to say I meant to put "darft" analysis as the topic title on purpose - in hindsight it sounds the perfect title - but it was a typo... :-b
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 45)

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 pm

RedBullVodka wrote:I'd love to say I meant to put "darft" analysis as the topic title on purpose - in hindsight it sounds the perfect title - but it was a typo... :-b

It's actually very fitting.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby oscar15 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm

RedBullVodka wrote:With apologies to Aussie Dodger for the blatant plagiarism...

1. What was your draft strategy? Take best available for at least 5 rds. I was determined not to be stuck chasing saves this year so I spent early on an elite closer. While everybody else was drafting SP's I grabbed a couple of more decent RP's. I did not get the second quality SP I wanted. I had Wainwright or Cain in mind. They both were available when I planned to draft one. I got greedy and grabbed Marmol instead thinking one would fall to me. That did not happen and I was left scrambling for SP's the left of the draft.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? I would have never said this before the draft but David DeJesus has put on weight and is now hitting 3rd for the Royals. I can't remember who took him but I bet he ends up being a starter.

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? I hate to doubt last years winner and 2 time champion but Maybin went a little early. I had him targeted but not when he went. In this league you are driven to reach because somebody is always stealing your "sleeper".

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Oscar, Legia, and Rock (I really don't have nay idea)

5. Who do you think will finish in the bottom 3? Thomasp, Old_Style, Shockers (I really don't have any idea)

6. The best pick that you made I like Crawford in the 4th and *fingers crossed A-Rod in the 3rd. And believe it or not, if Tehan ends up getting time at 2b, he could be huge as a off day fill in

7. The worst pick that you made. Many of my late round picks are suspect. I was overly concerned with K's and reached for O. Perez. Not that there bad picks but taking Marmol instead of Wainwright or Cain and taking R. Hernandez instead of D. DeJesus really bothers me.

8. What player is the biggest key to your success? That is easy, A-Rod comes back ready to play I should be a contender.

9. Your team's weak/strong points. Offensively, I think I am more balanced than in years past. My Avg. is going to be frustrating for me. My SP's are a mess. Hopefully I can stay within striking distance until I can strengthen my SP's

:-D
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 pm

- Combine power/low average bats with guys that have above average batting averages and can help in other categories
- Two 30+ SB guys, fill in the rest of the lineup with 7-8 SB guys
- Three 170+ strikeout guys with decent ratios
- Three closers with good ratios and a secure job
- Two middle relievers with good ratios, solid K rate, and a good chance of closing ball games
- Draft at least two quality middle relievers that are SP eligible
- Pick up a couple late round SP fliers

Not getting Carlos Villanueva was the only thing that derailed my plans.
I think I'll get by though. :-)

Cole Hamels in the middle of the fifth round.

Mike Aviles in the 10th. No need to panic because of a SS run.
Brett Gardner being taken before the last round is the ultimate head scratcher.

Me. ;-D
TheRock
Amazing_Oopah

Legia13
seancasey21
thomasps3 - He's got a decent team, but there's got to be something about him finishing in last place in consecutive years. :-?

Mike Napoli in the 19th

Wasn't too thrilled with Carlos Pena in the 8th

It's pretty much going to be a team effort, so it's hard to key in on one guy.
Maybe Troy Percival? I'd like to see him fail so either Grant Balfour or Dan Wheeler will close out some games. :-D

Strong Points: Not a lot of injury risk. Predictable production from almost everybody
Weak Points: Starting pitching. If Haren, Lilly, or Cain go down, I'll be in a little trouble.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Hmm. Some interesting questions, that's for sure.

I guess I go into any draft with 2 goals in mind - balance and reliability. Reliable contributors in every category early lets me feel better rolling the dice on some guys later. Can't say that I did a terrific job of executing my plan, but it never goes exactly as planned.

I always like to start with a hitters in thin positions, an ace, and I love grabbing an early closer for reasons I've detailed in other posts. My plans were definitely disrupted several times by people reaching for players I was banking on grabbing a round or two later. I.e. Pablo in the 11th.

Could very well be Pablo in the 11th. Wieters went late, ARoid could be a steal in the 3rd. Abreu in the 6th is definitely a steal.

Possibly ARoid in the 3rd. Or maybe Pablo in the 11th. I think Aviles raised the most eyebrows.

Several good looking teams. beerdogs look strong, as do emb0lus and O_S. I like my chances too. B-)

oscar always finishes in the cellar. I like his offense, but he has no pitching. I like thomas' team, but he has no hitting. Legia has an awful lot of risk on his team along with those 4 catchers.

Several I feel good about. I like Howard to rebound and be well worth the #9 pick. Love Hart in the 5th, and 2 top closers in the 7th and 8th made my day.

Pedroia. ARoid getting hurt actually screwed me there, I would have taken a spot closer to the end if I knew that was going to happen. Everyone I hoped would be there was gone. Even Holliday went early. Wanted to cover a thin position if I could, not drinking the Longoria Kool-Aid, too early for me to take a pitcher. Came down to Pedroia or Beltran. Bet on none of the top 2B making it back and they didn't. Don't like the pick but not sure I'd change it if I could.

Peavy. He's got to stay healthy, I went a long time between my first and second starters.

I'll do ok in power, saves, and ratios I think. Realized about round 10 that I had no steals so I reached a bit for Maybin and Span. I'll need help there somehow. Lots of upside in Hart, Cruz, Wieters, Maybin, Blalock, Helton, Wandy, Buchholz. Can't wait for the season.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby oscar15 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 am

oscar always finishes in the cellar. I like his offense, but he has no pitching. I like thomas' team, but he has no hitting. Legia has an awful lot of risk on his team along with those 4 catchers. -Rock

Dammit Rock, how many times do I have to tell you? I HAVE NEVER FINISHED IN THE CELLAR!!!! :-[
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 am

My draft strategy was to accumulate as many elite SPs as possible, and balance that with later selections heavily weighted in offense. I tried to stay away from the shiny new toy syndrome I sometimes get caught up in, but overall, my strategy should be interesting to see unfold. Furthermore, I was dead set against picking up closers too early(anything before round 9 or so), and will scour the WW for guys who may be promoted during the season.

I think Manny in the 3rd round was excellent value. he should challenge Pujols and will probably post high 2nd, low 1st round numbers.

Personally, I think Aviles went a bit too early, and Nate McClouth in the 4th round seems very overvalued.

Amazing_Oopah's team looks nice. Oscar's team looks pretty solid as well. Third would be me.

Rock
Cheesebeger
EmbOlus

Ryan Zimmerman in the 13th round. He should be ok with surgery further in the background and fills my CI slot nicely.

David Price in the 15th. I was going ot tke Wieters here, but Rock took him immediately before my selection, and I was fixated on getting 1 of the two, and probably reached for him. Also, Bret Gardener in the 18th raised a few eyebrows as well, but I see him keeping the CF job in NY thi syear and being pretty good for 25+ SBs

Hamilton and Quentin. Those are the two linchpins on a team that is going to be hard pressed to be an offensive juggernaut.

I expect to post elite numbers in Ws, Ks, WHIP, and ERA. At best, I think I can be middle of the pack offensively. Lots of upside in Andrus and Rasmus, as well as Jason Motte, who has been lights out this ST in St. Louis.

Overall, I really like my team. Injuries to some of the other SPs will allow me to deal 1 or 2 of my elite guys during hte season for more offense, so I expect to be ok come the end of the seaaon.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby oscar15 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:30 am

I take back my bottom 3 vote for Thomas!

The man obviously has an eye for talent! :-)

I'm replacing my vote for Thomas as bottom 3 with a vote for Rock. Any man who falls out of the back of a truck, WHEN IT ISN'T MOVING, has to finish in the bottom 3.
Last edited by oscar15 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 am

oscar15 wrote:I'm replacing my vote for Thomas as bottom 3 with a vote for Rock. Any man who falls out of the back of a truck, WHEN IT ISN'T MOVING, has to finish in the bottom 3.

LMAO!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Next

Return to Leftovers League