Pitchers: 3 Up / 3 Down - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitchers: 3 Up / 3 Down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pitchers: 3 Up / 3 Down

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:39 pm

horatio wrote:Given Webb's performance this spring along with his fade down the stretch last summer I'm just curious how he's considered safer than Peavy?

Arizona Diamondbacks SP Brandon Webb allowed four runs on seven hits over four innings Saturday, March 21, against the Kansas City Royals, according to The Associated Press. He walked two and struck out five, and his ERA for the spring rose to 8.18.

--- almost seems to me that you might be better off going after Beckett than either of them two.

I don't worry about established players spring training totals, especially when there's still another couple of weeks to go. It's a small sample size, plus I doubt Webb is going all out with off-speed pitches and even his fastball.

Peavy's fade down the stretch was him having a bad month of September (ERA 4.05) where I'm guessing he had some injury issues? Otherwise he posted an ERA of 2.12 in July and an ERA of 2.77 in August totaling 75 IP combining the two. Again, too small a sample size in Sept for me to be worried.

I like Beckett, but in my mind he's clearly a tier behind Peavy and Webb. An ERA that's jumped all over the last 3 years, and he plays in a the AL East.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitchers: 3 Up / 3 Down

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:14 pm

jcook3127 wrote:Webb is fine...I don't think he turns it on until the Regular season anyway. I remember reading an article about him in SI last year..the guy is just so laid back. He's got incredible sinking stuff that hitters pound into the dirt 65% of the time. He's developed a solid slider and change up that can strike people out. Webb is the man.

You probably just jinxed him... and my team. %-6
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers