David Ortiz 1st base eligibility - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Ortiz 1st base eligibility

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Ortiz 1st base eligibility

Postby Rhydderch » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:27 am

I play in a league with no utility spot, meaning Ortiz has no where to play. However, as soon as he get 5 starts (or 10 games as per Yahoo) he become eligible. What is the likelihood of Ortiz getting those 5 starts given his recent injury history and the factor the Red Sox have a pretty decent 1b/3b combo right now?
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Ortiz 1st base eligibility

Postby bandrus1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 am

id say pretty small possibility and if so pretty late in the season
bandrus1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby daullaz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:39 am

At best, he'll be completely healthy for interleague play. In that case, they'd likely get him five starts at 1B as they don't want to lose his bat in the lineup.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 am

daullaz wrote:At best, he'll be completely healthy for interleague play. In that case, they'd likely get him five starts at 1B as they don't want to lose his bat in the lineup.

They also don't want to lose the bat and glove of Youkilis/Lowell. With that said Ortiz would probably only see the field against RHP.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:
daullaz wrote:At best, he'll be completely healthy for interleague play. In that case, they'd likely get him five starts at 1B as they don't want to lose his bat in the lineup.

They also don't want to lose the bat and glove of Youkilis/Lowell. With that said Ortiz would probably only see the field against RHP.

An unhealthy Lowell might give Ortiz time at 1B.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:

An unhealthy Lowell might give Ortiz time at 1B.

Or hopefully Lars Anderson. I can't wait till that dude gets called up.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Rhydderch, to directly answer your particular issue, I'd say that he has a 50/50 chance of getting 5 starts or more at first. Maybe even a little better than that. However, its very unlikely he gets them until the middle of the season. So you've got a guy that won't play for at least half the season, with about a 50/50 chance of being able to play for you at all. Depending on bench size I think that makes him draftable/ownable, but I would definitely knock him way, way, way down your draft board. Like somewhere in the mid-teens to late round flyer type. If he's sitting out there on the FA and you have a bench spot I'd probably pick him up, especially if this is HTH where he could potentially be a huge playoff guy for you.

Also can I start a petition to get any and all burnt orange avatars banned. :-P
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:19 pm

hot4tx wrote:Rhydderch, to directly answer your particular issue, I'd say that he has a 50/50 chance of getting 5 starts or more at first. Maybe even a little better than that. However, its very unlikely he gets them until the middle of the season. So you've got a guy that won't play for at least half the season, with about a 50/50 chance of being able to play for you at all. Depending on bench size I think that makes him draftable/ownable, but I would definitely knock him way, way, way down your draft board. Like somewhere in the mid-teens to late round flyer type. If he's sitting out there on the FA and you have a bench spot I'd probably pick him up, especially if this is HTH where he could potentially be a huge playoff guy for you.

Also can I start a petition to get any and all burnt orange avatars banned. :-P

good advice ;-D
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers