Great Spring for Bucholz..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Great Spring for Bucholz.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Great Spring for Bucholz.....

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:38 pm

TonightWeDineinHell wrote:One possible reason they might be holding onto him, and this is almost entirely speculation, but by all account Detroit is on the verge of a big time financial collapse. I read somewhere that their number of season ticketholders dropped from 27,000 to something like 15,000, and they could be looking to dump a lot of salary. That could mean a job for a guy like Porcello, but it also has potential implications for the Sox.

The Sox have been connected to Miggy Cabrera every time his name comes up in trades. Who knows how legit the interest is, but given that the Yanks are now out of the picture with first and third locked up, I could very, very easily see the Sox moving Buccholz in a deal like that.

Complete speculation on my part, but I don't see them dealing him for Salty or Teagarden. I think they would have addressed the need over the offseason if they were going to go that direction rather than pouring more money into the offensive black hole that is Varitek.

The only way I see them trading Buccholz is for an elite bat, not a rookie backstop, especially given that by all accounts, they had the chance to trade him in a package for Santana and refused.

Edited: Tigers season ticket info

Listening to bill simmons?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:10 pm

TonightWeDineinHell wrote:One possible reason they might be holding onto him, and this is almost entirely speculation, but by all account Detroit is on the verge of a big time financial collapse. I read somewhere that their number of season ticketholders dropped from 27,000 to something like 15,000, and they could be looking to dump a lot of salary. That could mean a job for a guy like Porcello, but it also has potential implications for the Sox.

The Sox have been connected to Miggy Cabrera every time his name comes up in trades. Who knows how legit the interest is, but given that the Yanks are now out of the picture with first and third locked up, I could very, very easily see the Sox moving Buccholz in a deal like that.

Complete speculation on my part, but I don't see them dealing him for Salty or Teagarden. I think they would have addressed the need over the offseason if they were going to go that direction rather than pouring more money into the offensive black hole that is Varitek.

The only way I see them trading Buccholz is for an elite bat, not a rookie backstop, especially given that by all accounts, they had the chance to trade him in a package for Santana and refused.

Edited: Tigers season ticket info

i dont think the Tigers dumping salary is at all likely...Illitch wants to win...he's not just in it for the money

here's an excerpt from this recent article

An interview with Ilitch from last fall helps explain why:

"That would be the last thing I'm going to look at," he said of the payroll. "I'm not afraid to go out and spend money. It has been very costly, but I'm not going to change my ways."

As for the club's off-season free-agent philosophy, he said: "I don't know if this year is the year to go after people. I'm more concerned about getting the team in shape and seeing what we've got and who are the real Detroit Tigers."

Ilitch has deep enough pockets to keep spending despite the drop in ticket sales. He'd better. The club -- provided Magglio Ordoñez returns (he has vesting options in his contract for 2010 and 2011) -- already has committed $99.6 million to nine players for next season. That's only one-third of the roster. Nor does it include a shortstop, second baseman, catcher, closer or setup man. The expected salaries for pitchers Justin Verlander and Jackson are not factored in either because they are eligible for salary arbitration but not under contract.

i think he knows deep down they arent likely to compete this year and that's why he didnt spend big FA money. i wouldnt be surprised to see him move Maggs or Guillen at the trade deadline, but i cant see any way he moves Miggy
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:08 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:I really doubt they trade him to Texas. Wake isn't going to be around forever, and Smoltz and Penny are just rentals.

Exactly. They're now giving him time to develop that he should have had already. Wake, Smoltz and Penny will all be gone for 2010 and Clay will be up full-time. If Penny goes down or is too inconsistent, Clay get's called back up. But, until then, let him go to AAA and continue his dominance.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby TonightWeDineinHell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:Listening to bill simmons?

Always reading and listening to Simmons, but I've been reading a lot about the Tigers problems, and have heard it said it said that they might look to dump a big contract in a number of different places. The speculation on my part was in regards to Buccholz possibly being used as bait for a bigger fish rather than one of the Texas catchers.
TonightWeDineinHell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby nsulham » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:40 am

He'll start the season in Pawtucket but by the end of the season he's going to play a vital role for the big team. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes their 3rd best pitcher behind Beckett and Lester. As for the Detroit thing, I've heard that before but I'll believe it when I see it. Not ruling it out, especially if Detroit finds themselves out of it by the deadline, but again believe it when I see it. I'd definitely welcome Miggy to Boston though ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RotOAddicT » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 am

RotoWorld:

Red Sox manager Terry Francona revealed his starting rotation on Saturday morning, starting with ace Josh Beckett.
Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Tim Wakefield will follow Beckett, with either Brad Penny or Clay Buchholz sliding into the fifth spot. Penny has the best shot to claim the position, but he'll need to have a nice showing Saturday against the Twins to lock it up. Justin Masterson is headed for the bullpen.

5th spot for buchholz right out of ST..... :-) hope so!
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

wouldn't masterson be first in line if they need a SP?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RotOAddicT » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:08 pm

This is from the front page of MLB.com

One person who has been ruled out for that turn is Justin Masterson, who has officially been moved to the bullpen.

Masterson had been working as a starter this spring and was stretched out to 4 2/3 innings in a Minor League game on Wednesday. But he will re-acclimate to life as a reliever with a two-inning stint for Tuesday's Grapefruit League contest against the Rays.

The Red Sox thought it was productive for Masterson's development for him to get stretched out this spring, and it also kept their options open in case they needed a fifth starter.

"We kept checking with him and telling him where we were at," Francona said. "If we ever thought it was counterproductive, we wouldn't have done it. He's a solid kid and he understands."

Masterson was a force for the Red Sox in the bullpen for the second half of last season and into the postseason, so there will be no adjustment period necessary for the sinkerballer.

If the Red Sox feel Penny needs more time, Clay Buchholz -- he of the 0.47 ERA this spring -- is all but certain to take the April 12 turn at Anaheim.
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RotOAddicT » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:10 pm

Penny Starts today ( sat ). Buchholz will start Tuesday, by which point the Red Sox might have his role resolved.
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nsulham » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 pm

As a Sox fan I want Buchholz starting every 5 days...which means Pawtucket. Perfect scenario would be Penny fine to take his first turn and if not, use Masterson to spot until Penny's good to go. Clay needs the work and needs to show more than just what he has in ST. Like I said, by the end of the season I expect him to be a vital cog but for now I'm hoping he's in Pawtucket.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates