Great Spring for Bucholz..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Great Spring for Bucholz.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Great Spring for Bucholz.....

Postby shuffcard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:02 am

6 innings on wednesday-no earned runs. ERA down to .46

What are the chances he winds up with a rotation spot out of spring training?

There are also trade rumors, possibly to texas for one of their catchers
shuffcard
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Great Spring for Bucholz.....

Postby Kuji » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 am

I think someone needs to get injured for him to crack the rotation
[quote]But because of the Sox' loaded pitching staff, Buchholz knows it's possible he will begin the year in Triple A Pawtucket. Yesterday might have marked the final start Buchholz makes with the Red Sox this spring.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/03/26/buchholz_is_nearly_unhittable/
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NWSoxaholic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 am

Yeah- as well as he's pitched, it doesn't look good. I grabbed him in my draft as a flyer but am gonna stash him anyway. The rotation will have Penny and Wake- so chances are there will be a time one of them gets hurt. I would keep an eye on him as he seems to have shaken a few of his problems.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Suicide Kings » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 am

Well if he's traded to TEX then his value is sure to skyrocket...could do worse on your bench right now...
Hit the ball over the fence and you can take ALLLLL the time you want to run around the bases...
Suicide Kings
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ScrappyDoo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

I really doubt they trade him to Texas. Wake isn't going to be around forever, and Smoltz and Penny are just rentals.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 am

i think we'll know for sure after Penny's start on saturday.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:46 am

from what I know Buchholz will start the year in Triple A, but will be the 1st call up, Sox would be wise to trade him to Texas for Salty, Kottaras is nothing more than a back up
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TonightWeDineinHell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 am

One possible reason they might be holding onto him, and this is almost entirely speculation, but by all account Detroit is on the verge of a big time financial collapse. I read somewhere that their number of season ticketholders dropped from 27,000 to something like 15,000, and they could be looking to dump a lot of salary. That could mean a job for a guy like Porcello, but it also has potential implications for the Sox.

The Sox have been connected to Miggy Cabrera every time his name comes up in trades. Who knows how legit the interest is, but given that the Yanks are now out of the picture with first and third locked up, I could very, very easily see the Sox moving Buccholz in a deal like that.

Complete speculation on my part, but I don't see them dealing him for Salty or Teagarden. I think they would have addressed the need over the offseason if they were going to go that direction rather than pouring more money into the offensive black hole that is Varitek.

The only way I see them trading Buccholz is for an elite bat, not a rookie backstop, especially given that by all accounts, they had the chance to trade him in a package for Santana and refused.

Edited: Tigers season ticket info
TonightWeDineinHell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NWSoxaholic » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 am

Padres Fan wrote:from what I know Buchholz will start the year in Triple A, but will be the 1st call up, Sox would be wise to trade him to Texas for Salty, Kottaras is nothing more than a back up

Kotteras is nothing fantastic, but it's no different than having Mirabelli the last few years- his sole purpose (at least this year) is to catch Wake, and with the two of them starting to work well together I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon. I also think that with the Varitek situation figuered out there isn't a huge push for a Texas catcher right now which is why I can't see them moving Bucholz now that he seems to have gotten his confidence back.

As for the Detroit situation- that some pretty interesting stuff. I think alot of teams are going to be affected, with Detroit possibly the worst. It's also been said that after the Sox lost out on Tex that that's exactly the approach they decided to take going forward- keep their money and see what kind of deals come along this season from struggling teams. So who know's it could be a possibility, but either way there are going to be some pretty crazy deals going down this year. If you haven't read it- go to ESPN.com and look up Bill Simmon's article called The No Benjamins League- geared more towards basketball but a great read on how the economy is going to affect sports this year.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:41 am

all I know is that if I had a spot on my roster for him I would grab and stash, but I already have Wieters and Price stashed
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates