Basic Strategy for Roto 5x5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Basic Strategy for Roto 5x5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Basic Strategy for Roto 5x5

Postby Lauren Matthew » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:30 am

Relatively new to Roto style. Veteran of H2H. ....
I'm in a 12 team 5x5 roto league. Can you please give me your opinion on my strategy.

(1)You can't have a perfect team. So I've "given" up attempting to draft superstars at C and 3B.
(2)I skipped on the OF's since they are plentiful.
(3)I concentrated mainly on the pitching and middle infield.

I just makes sense to me that pitching will keep you in the game and just pick up the hot players for the HOT/Cold lists for their offense.

Just my strategy. Might work, but then might not. Just wanting to see what everyone else does, strategy wise.
Lauren Matthew
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Strategy

Postby d18Mike » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:07 am

Heard a discussion on this issue on MLB.com last week ...

One draft strategy school says that hitting is generally more predictable than pitching. And that the differnce between say a first and a third or fourth round pitcher is usually less than a first and fourth round C, SS, 3B or 2B. I tend to agree. This school also suggests that you can pick hot pitchers up off the wire and play the match-up effectively to offset and disadvantage of not drafting pitchers in inordinately high rounds.

Caveat: This is not a good strategy if you are not an extremely active owner who is willing to troll the wire and play match-ups constantly.

I've used it in 5x5s the past two years and it has very ... well but others think its crazy.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eli81k » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:39 am

I've read people that say pitching isn't all that unpredictable when compared to hitting. I do like the idea of drafting two hitters for every one pitcher in the early rounds, just based on most leagues' roster requirements but I'd never predetermine what kind of player I'll pick in each round. I know not adapting to how your draft goes and sticking to a rigid plan will hurt you. Other than that I just shoot for the best player, ignoring scarcity. I'll take a 40 HR 1B and 5 HR C if someone else wants to come at me with a 20 HR C and 25 HR 1B. I think there are good deals to be found on the waivers on both hitting and pitching. Kevin Millar & Orlando Cabrera went undrafted in my league last season (as well as a few of the other Red Sox that had career years). A couple SB artists always seem to come out of the woodwork as well (Podsednik & Alex Sanchez).

Of course I've lost in the semis the last three years running, so maybe this is the blueprint to building a team that looks pretty good in the regular season (2nd place last season) but doesn't deliver in the clutch :,-(
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Juhlz » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:56 pm

eli81k, how do you lose in the semi's in 5x5 roto??
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers