My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships

Postby Freebird27 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Well, I am in the top 3 spots in most of my leagues each year (2 12's, 1 16 team), but I attribute that more to to aggressive trading and working the wire....both of which would be minimized in such a shallow league.
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YomiKnight » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 pm

That sounds like a pretty good strategy. I’ve got my draft this weekend and I’m going in with a few similar ideas. Hey do most of you guys do your drafts online or @ like a bar or something? Mine is @ a bar near my place this weekend. I ask because I saw this interesting contest they’re having @ CBSSports.com. Looks pretty cool…you can win a big trip to South Florida to host your Fantasy Baseball Draft. Here’s a link in case anyone’s interested: http://www.cbssports.com/contests/trivia/5637
YomiKnight
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:58 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:I have argued and will continue to argue that the only truly good strategy is to take whatever value comes your way. The fact that pitching won this league is solely because pitching was being undervalued during the draft. However, if you went into a league with 9 other guys that had this strategy in mind you would end up over drafting almost every single player...

Take what is given and you'll put yourself in the best possible situation. Infatuating yourself with one particular draft strategy is only setting yourself up for failure...

Great advice. This is a strategy I learned from the Cafe after reading here last year. Won two leagues outright, Got screwed in one league and finished third. I have never missed the playoffs in a H2H using this advice.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 pm

I agree with draft for value. In my 10 team league this year I have really heavy hitting and most of it is young because those guys slipped a lot. In my 14 team league I have mostly old boring reliable farts like Ibanez, Damon, Hunter etc because in that league everyone reached on all the young talent. In that league I ended up with Haren and K-Rod even though I'm 'anti pitching' early simply because they both fell too far.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Ender wrote:I agree with draft for value. In my 10 team league this year I have really heavy hitting and most of it is young because those guys slipped a lot. In my 14 team league I have mostly old boring reliable farts like Ibanez, Damon, Hunter etc because in that league everyone reached on all the young talent. In that league I ended up with Haren and K-Rod even though I'm 'anti pitching' early simply because they both fell too far.

I feel my soul rejecting itself when I draft a top closer early because they've fallen too far. I know it's the right move, but it feels like I'm going against everything I stand for.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:40 pm

perhaps you want to try a deeper league if you find yourself winning all the time. ;-)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:41 pm

I got K-Rod with pick 85 in a 14 team league with 4 RP slots, seemed like a value at the time.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Ender wrote:I agree with draft for value. In my 10 team league this year I have really heavy hitting and most of it is young because those guys slipped a lot. In my 14 team league I have mostly old boring reliable farts like Ibanez, Damon, Hunter etc because in that league everyone reached on all the young talent. In that league I ended up with Haren and K-Rod even though I'm 'anti pitching' early simply because they both fell too far.

I feel my soul rejecting itself when I draft a top closer early because they've fallen too far. I know it's the right move, but it feels like I'm going against everything I stand for.

I agree.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers