My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships

Postby hpham45 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm going for a three peat this year as I am 2 for 2 in Fantasy Baseball. I play with the same people every year and they are all knowledgeable about the game. I find that this strategy has worked well for me in H2H leagues.

I focus the early mid rounds of my draft on a solid infield and pitching. From my experience you can find OF throughout the year. Last year my starting OF after the draft was Ibanez, Chris Young, and someone sorry I can't remember but after it was said and done I had McClouth, Kemp, and Victorino.....all waiver/fa pickups.

My philosophy is if you dominate your opponent in pitching, you only need to win a few hitting categories to win.

This year my team is:

10 YAHOO TEAM H2H NON-KEEPER ROSTER

C: Soto
1B: Fielder
2B: Pedroia
3B: Chipper
SS: H. Ramirez
OF: Markakis, Dye, Hunter
Util: Zimmerman, P. Sandoval
BN: E. Dukes, Choo

SP: Webb, Billingsley, Vazquez, Nolasco, Baker, Slowley
RP: Soria, Jenks, Francisco, Gonzalez, Lindstrom

I had the first pick of the draft and through the first 4 rounds I focused on building my infield/pitching with Hanley, Pedrioa, Fielder, and Webb. In the fifth round I was stuck between Halladay,McCann, or Markakis. Thats when I had to analyze what the other owners were doing. Pitching is pretty deep this year and I was confident in my scouting abilities that the pitchers I wanted would be there later on. No one had taken a catcher yet and as much as I wanted McCann I thought it was too early and figured I can gamble on getting a catcher I wanted later. Everyone was taking hitters so it made sense for me to pick up Markakis in that spot.

In the next few rounds I was able to get Chipper, Soto, Billingsley which I was thrilled about. Chipper was a great pickup at 3B as long as I drafted another 3B to cover the games he missed. Billingsley makes a nasty combo with Webb and I got the catcher I had my eye on. Actually I could've had Mauer but passed based on his recent injuries.

After I filled out my infield and got my starting pitching then I turned my attention towards closers and more pitching. I was happy to pick up Soria and Jenks and got almost all of the pitchers I coveted in Nolasco, Baker, Vazquez and Slowley. I then rounded out my OF with solid vets like Dye and Hunter and some good prospects in Dukes and Choo. Lastly I got myself a few more closers.

I must admit, I am looking at a third straight championship this year!
hpham45
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My Draft Strategy that has won me two straight championships

Postby drunkmonkey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Nice strategy, but to really test it out you should go to a 12 or 14-team league. Too much talent available in 10-teamers to give a good evaluation.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:49 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:Nice strategy, but to really test it out you should go to a 12 or 14-team league. Too much talent available in 10-teamers to give a good evaluation.

Was going to say this, too.

The WW quality dissipates quickly in deeper leagues, putting more of an emphasis on a quality draft/auction.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

With rosters that small there is on strategy to winning. There will be all stars on the FA list and it is easy to replace any position.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm

10 team with no CI/MI draft is a crap shoot. You don't even need to do a good draft since you can probably replace more than half your team with waiver trash and still win.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby V » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Yeah, league too shallow, IMO.

In my 20 teamer, Victorino and Kemp were top 8 round picks last year, and McLouth was a 15th rounder (w00t - I got 'im).
V
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Congrats on winning, though. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:01 pm

I have argued and will continue to argue that the only truly good strategy is to take whatever value comes your way. The fact that pitching won this league is solely because pitching was being undervalued during the draft. However, if you went into a league with 9 other guys that had this strategy in mind you would end up over drafting almost every single player...

Take what is given and you'll put yourself in the best possible situation. Infatuating yourself with one particular draft strategy is only setting yourself up for failure...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:04 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:I have argued and will continue to argue that the only truly good strategy is to take whatever value comes your way. The fact that pitching won this league is solely because pitching was being undervalued during the draft. However, if you went into a league with 9 other guys that had this strategy in mind you would end up over drafting almost every single player...

Take what is given and you'll put yourself in the best possible situation. Infatuating yourself with one particular draft strategy is only setting yourself up for failure...

Yep. When they zig, you need to zag. Market inefficiency FTW!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:17 pm

You seemed to skip over the most important part of your strategy and instead focus on your draft. What seems to have won it for you is that you were active in your league, not necessarily your drafting techniques.

On another note.. shouldn't have Victorino and Kemp been on teams anyway, even in a shallow league? Victorino's 2007 line was .281/12/46/78/37, and Kemp went crazy in half a seasons ABs in '07 .342/10/42/47/10.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers