Dynasty League Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dynasty League Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty League Strategy Question

Postby Biohazard1454 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 am

Hey I was looking for some advice on a strategy for my Dynasty league. I'm in a new 14 team AL-only Dynasty league. We are a 6x6 Roto league (Holds and OPS). We also have a salary cap and roster limit (25 active roster, 15 minor league roster).

The question I have is based on the settings. We don't have any maximum limits on the games played by our offensive players as well as no maximum limits on innings pitched. We have 9 slots for Pitchers (2 SP, 3 RP, 4 P) and the typical 9 slots for offensive players (C, 2 CI, 2 MI, 3 OF, DH).

Since I've always played in leagues with limits for innings pitched and games played, I'm not sure how to tweak my general strategy for these settings. Since some of you guys might have played in similar leagues, you might have some advice for this type of settings. Should I load up on pitchers and overload the pitching categories (while possibly compromising my WHIP and ERA)? Or should I focus on more offensive "starters" for my bench to make sure I have a full lineup everyday. In an ideal world, I would have both but since it's a deep AL-only league I have to make a decision one way or the other.

So hopefully you guys will offer some advice and help me out. Thanks!
Biohazard1454
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty League Strategy Question

Postby RotoCowboy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm

In a 14 team AL-only, good luck "loading up" on pitchers. Although a lot of times good holds guys with spotty histories are undervalued. You can sort of load up RPs and do very well in holds without paying for any of the holds guys that go in typical shallower leagues.

The problem with loading up on SPs is it can be a real budget buster. Lots of times guys with 5.00 ERAs and 1.50 WHIPs that might get you 8W and 90K go for a ridiculous amount compared to the very small marginal value. You can pay 3 SPs a little more and get a good chunk of those W and Ks and actually improve your ERA and WHIP. Cheap flyer guys are usually better investments than lousy 5th starters that have jobs.

Plus you are in a 6X6 league, and those marginal SPs only help in 2 of the 12 categories, and hurt you in 2 other cats. If you spend those extra dollars on improving a hitter, you'll probably get a benefit in at least 4 of the 6 cats and you'll be hurt in none.

Either way, pay real real close attention in the auction, because the deeper the league, the more good buys you;ll be able to find.
RotoCowboy
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Dynasty League Strategy Question

Postby Biohazard1454 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks RotoCowboy. I agree with your comments about SPs and RPs. Generally I was just wondering about leagues with no limits. Is it better to stream pitchers (I can implement this in a small fashion although it's a dynasty league)? I know some people like this idea and some don't.

More specifically for my team, I'm down to the last few roster spots. I'm trying to decide if I should take the cheap flyer SP or a bench offensive player. As you can understand, the bench offensive player at this stage are usually major league utility players and not starters. Therefore the cheap flyer SP might be a 5th starter on a team, but probably has a better chance to put up good (and bad) stats on a more consistent basis.
Biohazard1454
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers