Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Delmon Young

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:15 am

I haven't seen much talk about Young around here recently. What are people's expectations for him for this season and the future? Unbelievable hype when he was drafted a few years ago, but hasn't really seemed to live up to his billing. His power was quite disappointing last season (his iso has gone down every year in the league), but he managed to hit for an acceptable avg in spite of his abysmal plate discipline. He obviously has the tools to be successful but will he put everything together? Will he increase his power? I'd think his discipline should continue to improve but where has his power gone? Are the Twins training him to dink the ball around the field?

I'm not quite sure what to think of him to be honest. Thoughts?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Delmon Young

Postby San D » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:28 am

I'm high on him in keeper leagues largely due to his age (23), his pedigree, and improvements that he's shown this spring. He's shown decent power this spring. From what I've read, he's making an effort to pull the ball more, and this is helping his power. Gardenhire has been pleased with his efforts so this helps too. In a redraft, I wouldn't reach for him since he'll sit during cold spells with the Minnesota OF/DH logjam (Span/Young/Gomez/Cuddyer/Kubel battling for 4 spots).
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:09 am

He got injured 2 weeks into my MLB 2K9 season for 3 months, so I'm avoiding him in all my leagues for fantasy purposes ;D

Hot tip, Alexi Casilla, beast this year ;)
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 pm

It is doubtful that he will be a full-time starter in Minnesota - in fact, Gardenhire has said he will be the odd man out. Things could change, but odds are he will either be platooned (starting vs LHP) or traded (he was supossedly part of several proposed deals over the winter).

A change of scenery may help him, but I am not optimistic that he will ever be worth much. That said, he is a little better in fantasy than real baseball since there is no penalty for not being able to draw a walk in 5x5 roto. But I would rather have David DeJesus or similar, who will put up similar numbers and has a full-time job guaranteed.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:49 pm

stumpak wrote:It is doubtful that he will be a full-time starter in Minnesota - in fact, Gardenhire has said he will be the odd man out. Things could change, but odds are he will either be platooned (starting vs LHP) or traded (he was supossedly part of several proposed deals over the winter).

A change of scenery may help him, but I am not optimistic that he will ever be worth much. That said, he is a little better in fantasy than real baseball since there is no penalty for not being able to draw a walk in 5x5 roto. But I would rather have David DeJesus or similar, who will put up similar numbers and has a full-time job guaranteed.

I disagree with going after Dejesus over young. At least with young there is always the potential factor. Dejesus is not getting any better.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sabak19 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:33 pm

stumpak wrote:It is doubtful that he will be a full-time starter in Minnesota - in fact, Gardenhire has said he will be the odd man out. Things could change, but odds are he will either be platooned (starting vs LHP) or traded

Can you please post a link or at least name your source? I follow the Twins everyday and to the best of my knowledge Gardenhire has not released any specific information on his plan for the outfield rotation.

here's an article on Delmon from today's Star Trib http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins ... page=2&c=y
go cubs!
sabak19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby San D » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 pm

sabak19 wrote:
stumpak wrote:It is doubtful that he will be a full-time starter in Minnesota - in fact, Gardenhire has said he will be the odd man out. Things could change, but odds are he will either be platooned (starting vs LHP) or traded

Can you please post a link or at least name your source? I follow the Twins everyday and to the best of my knowledge Gardenhire has not released any specific information on his plan for the outfield rotation.

here's an article on Delmon from today's Star Trib http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins ... page=2&c=y

He stated it back in November or December. I remember reading it on MLBTraderumors or mlb.com. Too lazy to find the link. :*)
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:46 pm

He stated it and then retracted it the next day basically. BTW Span isn't doing himself any favors this ST, been pretty terrible.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Not like Span, Cuddyer, Gomez or Kubel are super stars or anything. I'm sure Young will get decent playing time if he just produces.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby activechamp2006 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:12 am

San D wrote:
sabak19 wrote:

He stated it back in November or December. I remember reading it on MLBTraderumors or mlb.com. Too lazy to find the link. :*)

With the way Young has been playing this Spring, any of those articles are going to be irrelevant.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers