Spring Training trip report (warning: a ton of pics) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Spring Training trip report (warning: a ton of pics)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spring Training trip report (warning: a ton of pics)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:57 pm

So me and a buddy made it down to Spring Training for the first time this year and had a blast. Definitely going to try to make it an annual event from now on. Figured some of you guys might enjoy a trip report and a bunch of baseball pics (though my friend's camera isn't that great).

We left my house in LA at about 10:15, giving us a couple of extra hours to get to Arizona for our first game at 6. About an hour into our journey (around 11:20), I make the devastating realization that our tickets for Saturday and Sunday are sitting on my desk at home. Yes, I am complete idiot and managed to forget the most important thing. We proceed to turn around and are back on the road again at around 12:30 PM giving us 5 and a half hours until the game starts. Google says the drive takes 5 hours 45 minutes so we're gonna be cutting it close. We managed to miss most of the LA traffic and pulled into the parking lot in Arizona at around 6:10, missed the top half of the first inning where the Dodgers scored 3 runs but managed to sit down to see the Royals come up (Dodgers/Royals was the only night game that day). Since we didn't care too much for either team and had just made a long drive we got outfield grass seats for this game to just chill.

David DeJesus

they put on a pretty good fireworks show during the 7th inning stretch of every game.

The next day was the Giants vs the A's and it was an awesome game for quite a few reasons. Both teams had a split squad that day and I was pretty disappointed that Timmy wasn't there. I was hoping to at least see a RJ or Sanchez start but none of the rotation was at this game and Giants prospect Kevin Pucetas ended up starting the game against the A's Trevor Cahill. We got there a little early so we played some catch in the parking lot until the gates opened.

got in and took our seats, which were pretty awesome. one of the best things about spring training is how close you can get to the action and the players for cheap.

saw Brian Sabean up in one of the boxes but couldn't get a clear picture of him

Buster Posey was the starting catcher with Ishikawa at 1st base, so I was pretty happy to see them at the game since there was no Timmy.

Holliday taking some swings in the cage

A's stretching

Bochy's giant head

Cahill on the mound

BUSTER!!!

Ishikawa in the field and his 1st AB <3 (he singled and got stranded on 3rd)

Velez Ks

Giambi back in an A's uniform (for aussie)

The other new Athletic

so my the friend i went with got his name chosen for a chance to win $100. Basically he had to choose an outfielder to catch a fly ball in the top of the 4th inning, if the outfielder he chose caught an out, he would win $100
my friend chose right field and the first batter up was nate schierholtz who hit a line drive to right which fell in front of the RFer for a single. Next up came Rich Aurilia who on my call promptly grounded into a double play. This brought up the lefty Ishikawa, my friend's best hope at the $100. Travis proceeds to hit a long, high fly ball to right field which just continues to carry and carry about 3 feet over the leaping RFer at the wall for a HR. So not only did Ishikawa go deep but my friend barely missed winning $100. It was awesome.
The last batter of the inning struck out or grounded out or something and no $100 for my bud. He was not a happy camper.

Ishikawa also went deep in his 3rd at bat. Let the bandwagon roll.
you can see the ball leaving the frame in the last picture on it's way over the left/center field wall.

Posey also went deep that game, hitting an absolute monster shot well over a ~35 ft wall 420 feet away in dead center. the ball was crushed and it was awesome.
last picture is the fence in center field that the ball cleared. the white dot is about where i remembering it going over the fence, it finally disappeared from our site well behind the antigua sign. awesome.

The giant's also turned a triple play in the game off the bat of Bobby Crosby (lol). All in all an awesome game, Giants ended up winning like 8-4 or something like that.

Sunday we decided to check out the new facility shared by the White Sox and Dodgers. The place is huge with something like 16 fields and a small lake running through the middle of the complex.

We got there quite early as the practice fields open to the public at 8 AM despite the gates to the game not opening until 11:30. We checked out some batting practice on the first field we came to and White Sox first round pick, Gordon Beckham happened to be taking some swings (he's #80).

we then went around behind the outfield fence to where John Danks (we think he's #50) was messing around with a bat. i also managed to grab a ball out there that Beckham hit.

Danks managed to shatter his bat playing tennis with it hitting it back and forth with another player.

We walked around the complex and checked out a bunch of fields where Dodger's minor leaguers were working out. i have no idea who these guys are...

After that we moved on and saw some work outs with the actual team including jason schmidt lol.

they finally opened the gates and our seats were the 2nd row behind the Rangers dugout, pretty awesome.

Rangers warming up

the guy facing the camera is Elvis Andrus btw

David Murphy (L) and Chris Davis (R)

JOSH! <3

Hamilton is a ridiculously nice guy. After about 10 minutes of warming up, he came over to the stands and just signed autographs and took pictures with fans until the game started, must have been like 30-45 minutes of just signing. he really looked like he just enjoyed being there and playing baseball. it was really cool to see close up, plus i got an autograph! I thought he was awesome before but now i'm in like super-mega-mancrush mode.

other random pics from the game

this one furcal slap bunted a ball past the charging 3B for a double, it was pretty cool.

the guy next to me thought juan pierre should be an everyday player.... silly dodger fans...

we left a little early, once all the everyday players were out of the game and there was nobody left in we cared about. the whole trip was a ton of fun, and i highly recommend that if you have a chance to make it down to spring training sometime that you go. if anyone is interested it'd be cool to have a cafe meet up next year with anyone who can make it. Hope at least some of you enjoyed the pics, sorry there are so many, i didn't even include most of them, just the ones i liked the most.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training trip report (warning: a ton of pics)

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Reminds me of when my mom flew my brother and I back to Florida for Spring Training back in 1992 (she's a single mom, so looking back it was a really cool thing for her to do). I'm a Dodger fan and my brother liked the Yankees. We had a blast. I remember David Justice being a really nice guy, signing tons of autographs...including a ball he personalized for me, which I still have sitting on my desk. It was sweet.

We got to see Dodger vs. Yankee games, which was an anomaly then since inter-league play did not exist yet. My most vivid memory was of my brother trying to get Mattingly's autograph (who was notorious for signing very few autographs)...right before my brother was going to get it, some idiot shouted out, "oh, it's just Balboni!" Mattingly promptly walked away...it sucked because Mattingly had always been my brother's favorite player (he had a ridiculous collection of Mattingly cards etc.).

Anyway, nice picks/memories GF. Glad you had a good time. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Tanyon Sturtze and Jason Schmidt what a combo. ;-D

Ishikawa!!!!!!!!!!! ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm

nice!
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Nice pics. Thanks. There's two pics stacked that make it look the SS is walking around the infield with an umbrella. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 pm

looks like you had some fun, thanks for the pix

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Looks like you had a really great time! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Nice pics, GF. Camelback Ranch looks great from what I've seen on TV, but it looks really sweet on the pics. I'll probably have to stop by next Spring. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Glad you had a good trip & thanks for the report and pics. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:10 am

Be a man and make the trip to florida next time.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to General Talk