So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft...

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:25 pm

So this is interesting. What you guys are describing is not how I'd expect the autopicking algorithm to fill out a bench. Can one or two of you post a link to a league where you've seen this occur? I'm wondering if there is a quirk in the settings that is leading to this; if I find a few extra minutes, I may take a crawl around that code.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:45 pm

CadensDad wrote:What on earth could be more important than a draft?

:-b
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Regalus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Guzman24 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:What on earth could be more important than a draft?

:-b

I agree
;-D

Its the Culmination of all your hard research, and probably the funnest part of the league!!
Regalus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fezzik » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So this is interesting. What you guys are describing is not how I'd expect the autopicking algorithm to fill out a bench. Can one or two of you post a link to a league where you've seen this occur? I'm wondering if there is a quirk in the settings that is leading to this; if I find a few extra minutes, I may take a crawl around that code.

Well, I'm only in private leagues but here is a link to the league page (perhaps you can see it with your special clearance level). :-b

The two teams that I noticed drafted offensive players for their entire bench were AquaMan and Berkeley Bungalo...I noticed this because I recognized both managers as Cafe regulars, but neither was able to attend the draft.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/163995

Also, if you don't mind...in this league a manager was able to pick up three players from Free Agency (not processed as waiver claims) an hour before the waiver claims were processed. According to the transaction log, these players were picked up as "free agents" slightly past 12am PST. Waiver claims were not processed until a little before 1am PST. That seems strange to me. Any clarification would be nice. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:So this is interesting. What you guys are describing is not how I'd expect the autopicking algorithm to fill out a bench. Can one or two of you post a link to a league where you've seen this occur? I'm wondering if there is a quirk in the settings that is leading to this; if I find a few extra minutes, I may take a crawl around that code.

I'd be interested in how you expect the algorithm to work, Sports Genie...?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm

rainman23 wrote:

As the saying goes, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. It will have to suffice to say it should be smart enough not to draft you a bench with all hitters and 0 pitchers.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby swyck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
rainman23 wrote:

As the saying goes, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. It will have to suffice to say it should be smart enough not to draft you a bench with all hitters and 0 pitchers.

In football, once the starting slots are filled, it starts adding to your bench based on the rankings selected, one per position. So there would be no more then one of each position on your bench, but you may get stuck with no reserve QB if they're far enough down the list.

Maybe this works the same way, and since there are more batting slots available, they fill those bench slots before the rankings get to a pitcher.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby swyck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:04 pm

rainman23 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Yes, rescheduling the draft would have been my first choice. But I've won this league several years in a row, and I'm starting to get off now on the challenge a little bit. Of autodrafting while others are not, I mean. My first mock draft using my draft list wasn't a complete disaster. I'll tweak it and try again...

It's possible to do well with an auto draft. No reason to give up or to not look at it as a challenge. B-)

Put a few rounds worth of players in the sequence you want them, then start adding small tiers of players by position. Order those tiers by how you'd want them drafted.

Remember to put all you marginal players at the bottom of your ranks! By that I mean ALL 2B after Cano AND ALL C after VMart, or wherever you separate your lower tiers. You'll still get the top one available from your list, so there is no reason at all to place them any higher where you could inadvertently get one in your Util or a bench slot. Put your sleepers, and anyone you'd like on your bench above these guys.

GL ;-D
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers