So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft...

Postby rainman23 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Something's come up, and I can't make my Yahoo online draft. As I try to modify my draft list, and hope for the best -- I realize that I'm not sure about something. Does anyone know the process that Yahoo's draft engine follows for making our choices? I remember back when we used to Autodraft that it would fill all the named positions first -- our 9 offensive positions, including Utility, and and 7 pitching slots -- before it started filling your Bench. So you could wind up with two shortstops, because it would plug one into Utility. But you wouldn't wind up with two shortstops, and two catchers, two first basemen, etc., before you started filling some other holes.

Is that true in my situation? Where my league is drafting in real time, but I just can't be there?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: So, you absolutely CANNOT make your Yahoo draft...

Postby fezzik » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 pm

I believe yahoo will still fill up all your designated positions before it will draft any of your bench. That's what it seemed to do for a few of my opponents who recently missed the live draft. Unfortunately for them, after the starting positions were filled, it drafted offensive players for their entire bench because of the way their players were ranked.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks. I was able to find this on the web site, which seems to agree with what you are telling me:

When you are unable to draft for yourself, our computer system will make intelligent choices for you. This will happen if you signed up for an Autopick Draft or are not present for all or part of your Live Draft.

The autopick system looks at both a player's position and ranking before making a selection. The computer looks to see which starting positions you need to fill, then selects the highest-rated player based on either our default ranking or your custom pre-draft rankings to fill one of those positions.

I guess I can do a mock draft on the Yahoo site to confirm this, too. Thanks for your help.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Reschedule?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Yoda wrote:Reschedule?

Yeah, just change your haircut to a different day, bro.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:50 pm

For a small fee I will draft for you.
PM me for details.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Yahoo is generally ok with filling positions and your UTIL with a solid player. However, where it kills you is pitching. It will never draft bench pitchers. You will either get like 5 starters and 2 RP, or like 2-3 SP and 4 RP. Either way you'll get hosed.

I'd try to make your draft, because you'll be trying to dig yourself out of a hole.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby the izzy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 pm

fezzik wrote: it drafted offensive players for their entire bench because of the way their players were ranked.

very true. In one of my leagues, we drafted the other day and only 4 out of the 10 managers made it to the draft. For the 6 teams that didn't show, it auto picked best player available until every position was filled. Then it started to fill bench spots w/ best available player.

The best thing about this was after the pitchers had been selected by the computer for each teams starting spots (2 SP, 2 RP and 3 P), then it filled up every team w/ batters, as they tend to be rated higher than pitchers. Therefore, by the time we hit the 15th rd, only about 70 total pitchers were off the board and pitchers were no longer being drafted by the auto-pick teams.

I picked up several "high" reward players late, as the computer was drafting left over batters for the 6 auto-pick teams deep into the draft.

J. Vazquez (16th)
E. Bedard (17th)
A. Harang (18th)
M. Gonzales (20th)
C. Qualls (21st)
H. Bell (22nd)
Carpenter (23rd)
F. Fransisco (24th)
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rainman23 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Yes, rescheduling the draft would have been my first choice. But I've won this league several years in a row, and I'm starting to get off now on the challenge a little bit. Of autodrafting while others are not, I mean. My first mock draft using my draft list wasn't a complete disaster. I'll tweak it and try again...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm

What on earth could be more important than a draft?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers