Why is Cal Ripken Jr. considered great? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Cal Ripken Jr. considered great?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is Cal Ripken Jr. considered great?

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Athleticism is defined by stamina, strength and skill. Ripkin's stamina was arguably greater than any other athlete in the history of sports. Add to that that his skill level was far above average, and he was a great athlete.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Athleticism is defined by stamina, strength and skill. Ripkin's stamina was arguably greater than any other athlete in the history of sports. Add to that that his skill level was far above average, and he was a great athlete.

I love this phrase; it's used like 38 times an hour on the YES network. Since homo sapiens started doing competitions for enjoyment, this is the best team ever assembled. They couldn't content themselves with the, "Winningest franchise in major league baseball" or even, "Winning franchise in American sports" or even, "Winningest franchise in modern professional sports"... no. "Winningest franchise in the history of sports." Unreal. :-b

In any case, I dig what the OP is trying to get at. Yes, Cal Ripken was tough and yes, he was good. But his record was also very subject to freak things that didn't occur. I liken it to a friend told me years ago that the first year Johnny Chan won the World Series of Poker he was involved in something like 26 hands that were virtually 50/50 (say, pair vs two overcards) and he won every one of those hands. Now, he's obviously a great card player but maybe if 2 or 3 of those hands don't go his way, he's not used in Rounders and we might not know his name.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:07 pm

If "health is not a skill", then I assume that Chipper Jones is your #1 3B and Rich Harden is your #1 SP.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby J35J » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:11 pm

mkultra wrote:If "health is not a skill", then I assume that Chipper Jones is your #1 3B and Rich Harden is your #1 SP.

So you think the reason why Chipper and Harden are hurt all the time is because of their skill in that department? I'd call it genetics myself.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 pm

In general, almost all muscle pulls can be prevented through those means.

100% incorrect. Plenty of players stretch exactly like they should and still get pulls. The Chipper Jones example is great as he has some of the best trainers in the world doing everything they can to stop him from having these problems and even though he does everything the way he is supposed to they still keep happening. Same with Griffey when he was having the problems. Blaming players and saying if they just stretched more it wouldn't happen is what i was calling naive.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mkultra » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:40 pm

J35J wrote:So you think the reason why Chipper and Harden are hurt all the time is because of their skill in that department? I'd call it genetics myself.

I think you're interpreting the word "skill" too literally. Talent, maybe? When people like me say, "health is a skill", it's meant to be read as "something to be considered alongside the other stat categories".
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Ender wrote:
In general, almost all muscle pulls can be prevented through those means.

100% incorrect. Plenty of players stretch exactly like they should and still get pulls. The Chipper Jones example is great as he has some of the best trainers in the world doing everything they can to stop him from having these problems and even though he does everything the way he is supposed to they still keep happening. Same with Griffey when he was having the problems. Blaming players and saying if they just stretched more it wouldn't happen is what i was calling naive.

So you know the training, dieting, and stretching regimens of Chipper Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.? ;-7 :-b

But in all seriousness, you're right, sort of. Obviously it is naive to say that ONLY stretching correctly would prevent muscle strains, but in what I said, I am 100% correct. The factors I listed above greatly greatly greatly reduce the the occurrences of such injuries. Most players are not diligent enough about conditioning and stretching all muscles used in baseball correctly or strictly stay on a very narrow diet. However one who actually chooses to do so will be likely be a relatively healthy baseball player. I'm not sure how you can say that a player getting injured is solely because of chance rather than how one takes care of their body.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:So you know the training, dieting, and stretching regimens of Chipper Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.? ;-7 :-b

But in all seriousness, you're right, sort of. Obviously it is naive to say that ONLY stretching correctly would prevent muscle strains, but in what I said, I am 100% correct. The factors I listed above greatly greatly greatly reduce the the occurrences of such injuries. Most players are not diligent enough about conditioning and stretching all muscles used in baseball correctly or strictly stay on a very narrow diet. However one who actually chooses to do so will be likely be a relatively healthy baseball player. I'm not sure how you can say that a player getting injured is solely because of chance rather than how one takes care of their body.

QFT
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:02 pm

A baseball player's ability to play is predicated on not just innate reistance to injury but also exogenous factors. Ripken was clerly extraordinarily lucky that one of the hundreds of things beyond his control never went wrong to the extent that it caused him a serious injury. Take a look at the DL at any given time and there is a meaningful minority that is hurt for reasons completely beyond their own control (collisons, beanings, non-baseball injuries, etc).

Beyond this, he was a mediocre player for almost half of his career, so who cares about how long he played if he was merely average for much of this time? I view Ripken as the most overrated HOFer of his era, and I agree with the OP that distance between he and Trammell is narrower than most assert.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:Ripkin's stamina was arguably greater than any other athlete in the history of sports.

...if you know what I mean.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers