Why is Cal Ripken Jr. considered great? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Cal Ripken Jr. considered great?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why is Cal Ripken Jr. considered great?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:33 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Yoda wrote:
IVIisfits138 wrote:lucky record.

Define luck. Staying healthy is a skill and he was the most durable athlete in history of the game while being a plus player at his position.

Luck was still a big part. A fastball to the wrist and then what? Skill or luck? A cleat that sticks, twisting his knee? What if he got hit like Conigliaro? Or run over like Fosse?

The huge mistake you guys keep making is thinking that Ripken did not suffer some of these:

"Perhaps the closest he came to ending the streak before surpassing Gehrig was on June 6, 1993, when he twisted his right knee during a beanball brawl between the Orioles and Mariners. The knee swelled badly overnight, and Ripken told his wife he wasn't going to be able to play in the ensuing game, but he didn't even miss pregame infield drills."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_20382952
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:45 am

IVIisfits138 wrote:
The exact same thing can be said about Mattingly however. But he isn't even in the HOF, an especially not regarded as one of the most deserving ever to be in.

No, the same thing cannot be said about Mattingly. Ripken played 10 years where his performance was better than any SS not named Honus Wagner. Mattingly had about 3-5 years where he was the best in the league, but a piker compared to the best seasons by previous first basemen. Ripken played one of the most important defensive positions, and by good measures of fielding (not ridiculous ones like GG), he was always a strong fielder. Mattingly played one of the least important defensive positions.

Others have addressed the Puckett issue. I would simply add that the comparisons should go beyond the simple statistics and look more closely at the sabermetric ones. Good comparisons have to compare players at their position using appropriate metrics, and include both fielding and hitting (and adjusting for league performance, though here we are talking players from similar eras). By that approach, neither Puckett nor Mattingly come close to Ripken. One reason for that is certainly luck. But, it was not purely luck.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:59 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
IVIisfits138 wrote:
The exact same thing can be said about Mattingly however. But he isn't even in the HOF, an especially not regarded as one of the most deserving ever to be in.

No, the same thing cannot be said about Mattingly. Ripken played 10 years where his performance was better than any SS not named Honus Wagner. Mattingly had about 3-5 years where he was the best in the league, but a piker compared to the best seasons by previous first basemen. Ripken played one of the most important defensive positions, and by good measures of fielding (not ridiculous ones like GG), he was always a strong fielder. Mattingly played one of the least important defensive positions.

Others have addressed the Puckett issue. I would simply add that the comparisons should go beyond the simple statistics and look more closely at the sabermetric ones. Good comparisons have to compare players at their position using appropriate metrics, and include both fielding and hitting (and adjusting for league performance, though here we are talking players from similar eras). By that approach, neither Puckett nor Mattingly come close to Ripken. One reason for that is certainly luck. But, it was not purely luck.

He was comparing Mattingly to Puckett. :-°

If you read what he was quoting it was pretty clear that is what he meant.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers