Need Minor League Draft Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Need Minor League Draft Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Minor League Draft Help

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:22 am

With one pick to go before it gets to me I'm looking at T. Beckham (Gordon is taken), Homer, C. Santana and wallace. Any advice out there from the Cafe?

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Minor League Draft Help

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:08 am

Those are all comparable options so it might come down to team needs (don't paste your roster) and possibly league settings. I personally don't like HS draft picks if you're in a league with only 50-75 protected MiLB'ers since each year there will very good players available to replace the guys that you promote. And guys that you promote are helping your team. So my preference would be Wallace unless you really need a catcher in which case Santana isn't far behind in value. On the other hand if you're in a deep league with something like 200 player MiLB rosters you could make a case for Beckham if you really wanted a risky high upside SS (immensely valuable if he turns out). Hosmer (that is whom you were talking about?) is kind of in the middle ground since he should move relatively fast thru the minors (maybe 3 yrs) since he has a more advanced bat (than Beckham) and very little defensive responsibilities to slow him down.

All four of the players that you are looking at have similar value overall and it can come down to personal preference.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks Cab. To add a little more detail it's basically an OPS based points league. I have Henley locked up for a few years so SS isn't a need but I always lean toward highest upside/best player available. Given the lack of decent power hitting catchers a tillable though, I'm definitely looking strongly at Santana.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby AEMRICH » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:56 pm

i like all of the options but for fantasy I really like the bat of Brett Wallace- he will be ready quickly and will be in the same lineup as pujols for a long time- it seems 3B is not at deep as it used to be and he is one of the top 3B prospects in the minors- while his body type might suggest he needs a move to another position he has shown so far he can handle the position
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball