My team (drafted 12 in 12 team H2H) – WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My team (drafted 12 in 12 team H2H) – WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My team (drafted 12 in 12 team H2H) – WHIR

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:36 am

12 team H2H (non-keeper) Drafted #12 (serpentine) Leave a link about your roster and I'll get back to you sometime soon:

1B – A. Gonzalez (4)
2B – C. Utley (2)
SS – J. Rollins (1)
3B – C. Davis (5)
OF – C. Crawford (3)
OF – A. Dunn (7)
OF – A. Ethier (11)
C – R. Hernandez (18)
UT – Votto (9)

Bench:
OF – P. Burrell (17)
OF – D. Span (19)
3B – E. Encarnacion (14)
2B – A. Hill (21)

Pitching:
SP – C. Billingsley (6)
SP – Z. Greinke (8)
SP – E. Volquez (10)
SP – M. Scherzer (13)
SP – G. Meche (16)
SP – W. Rodriguez (20)
RP – C. Marmol (12)
RP – H. Bell (15)

Summary:
IF: Was happy to build an excellent MI with JRoll and Utley. I should get pretty good power numbers from my corner IF too. I just hope Davis doesn't bat .230 or something. Not in love with AGon but I expect another season of solid production, even if his RBI take a bit of a dip this year. Was surprised at how far Votto fell. Have him penciled in as my UTIL starter right now and I think he could end up being a bit of a steal where I drafted him. For the bench I like Encarnacion a a backup and I took a flyer on Aaron Hill with the last pick in the draft.

OF: Tried to get a good balance of speed and power in the OF. I really need Crawford to bounce back and steal 40+ bases and hit double digit HRs. Dunn should continue to mash the ball in Washington but I'll have to live with his Ks. I really like Ethier this year, mostly for the balance I expect from him. I'm hoping for something like .300/20 HR /90 RBI. If I get that from him I think he'll be well worth the pick I spent on him. For the bench positions we got Burrell late for a little pop off the bench and Span for the SB potential.

SP: Obviously I didn't get a true "ace" for my pitching staff but it really doesn't bother me at all that Billingsley is my #1. 200 IP/200 K last year. I wanted to wait on him and Greinke a bit longer than I did but SP was going fast. Volquez will probably regress some this year (almost certainly in W and probably in ERA some) but he's another guy that racks up the IP and Ks. I took Scherzer over a couple of more established guys because I really like his upside. Could come back to bite me, but it was a risk I was willing to take. No one gets excited over Meche (nor should they) but he has been very steady and his numbers after the all-star break last year were very nice. Wandy Rodriguez...probably will get dropped once our rosters get entered and I see what other SP are on the wire.

RP: Could be a dicey situation. I'm very confident that Marmol wins that job in Chi, even if they're still saying they haven't decided. He should rack up the Ks and SVs but if the closer job goes to Gregg it's going to sting. Bell is also unproven as a closer but he was on some sleeper lists as a closer to get late (wanted Motte but he was snagged earlier than I expected).
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My team (drafted 12 in 12 team H2H) – WHIR

Postby SlayeratCP » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Very solid all the way around. I like that 1-2 pick. You get great players at scarce positions. No true number one pitcher but fairly solid rotation. I think Wandy Rodriguez has some major upside. I think your closers will be fine. No need to overdraft a guy for 10 more saves. You might need to back up your catcher as Ramon is probably not very good anymore, but a catcher by committee is pretty common I would think.
SlayeratCP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby todsulli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 pm

I think overall its a great draft. I would just think about closers at this point. I would like to see you with three closers unless you are giving up that cat.
todsulli
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:33 pm

SlayeratCPYou might need to back up your catcher as Ramon is probably not very good anymore, but a catcher by committee is pretty common I would think.[/quote]

[quote="todsulli wrote:
I would like to see you with three closers unless you are giving up that cat.

SlayeratCP: Yeah, as you might imagine I didn't come out of the draft saying "Sweet! I totally scored at C with Ramon Hernandez!". But he's a guy that I decided I'd be OK with late in the draft if I missed the boat on C. I honestly expect a bit of a bounce back year from him this year since his home games are the the Great American Smallpark. I'm used to churning the C position if he doesn't pan out and there are still a couple guys on the wire who I'll be watching.

todsulli: I don't think anyone in the league drafted 3 RP. That's just kind of the way our league is (this is my third year in this league and the majority of people have been in the whole time). No one really ever plays more than 2 at a time and sometimes guys will only start one in order to get more starts from their SP.

Thanks for your replies fellas. Good luck to you this season.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fittsrk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Its actually eerie how similar our teams are as far as make-up....I too opted for scarcity out of the 12 spot at 1,2. You are Def solid at the corners and I love Votto as a Util...You are in a hole closers wise...but if you are H2H..I don't think that's a big deal. I'm not big on Billingsly at all, but your SP looks solid and deep. I think you found a lot of good value there...All in all...looks like a contender....

Take a look at mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373438
fittsrk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 pm

I had my eye on Ianetta or even Kurt Suzuki as final pick, but couldn't resist Martin in the 5th round

Definately your closers need some work, but hard to do without giving up your core players, you may be lucky to see playoffs but I doubt you can win it all

rate mine please?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373504
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:02 pm

I had my eye on Ianetta or even Kurt Suzuki as final pick, but couldn't resist Martin in the 5th round

Definately your closers need some work, but hard to do without giving up your core players, you may be lucky to see playoffs but I doubt you can win it all

rate mine please?
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:23 pm

woops. i accidentally duplicated my post when editing. i need to figure out how to delete.
Last edited by lbblue on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Padres Fan wrote:I had my eye on Ianetta or even Kurt Suzuki as final pick, but couldn't resist Martin in the 5th round

rate mine please?

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the one thing I can say since some people seem to think that I'm in some sort of dire straits with my closers is that they simply don't carry as much weight in my league as they seem to in others.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but in this H2H league it in not uncommon at all for someone to start 5 SP and 1 RP on a given week. Other times they may opt for 4 SP and 2 RP but I've not seen anyone start more than 2 RP in the 2 years I've been in the league. I think mostly people are afraid of losing W, QS, and K if they start too many RP. A couple of scoring categories have been added that may entice people to start more RP this year but I don't really expect that to be the case.

So anyway, just wanted to get that out there. You're right, though, in that I could get screwed over if Marmol ends up as the setup guy and Bell tanks. No doubt about that. I don't want to have to scramble for RP and end up with a scrub. But traditionally in my league closers don't make or break your team. It's definitely the biggest question mark on my team though, IMO.

Aside from the RP discussion...I'm going to try to move AGon if I can. I can play Votto at 1B and Dunn and Davis are both eligible as well. Outside of RP what would position would you target in trade if you were me? SP? OF?

Also, you may very well be correct in that my team looks like a possible playoff contender at best but I'm not sure how you can say that when you have no idea what the other teams in the league look like. ;-)
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Looks like a very solid team. Back end of your rotation is a little bit of a concern, but there's always good SP's to be had if you scout the waiver wire well... Can you only start 2 closers?? If not, you definitely want to keep an eye out for another closer or two, especially if Marmol doesn't get the job... Hitting is deep and balanced, no complaints there.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373417
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team