Please rate my team and I WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please rate my team and I WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please rate my team and I WHIR!

Postby vykeengfan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 pm

12-team league, 6th pick.
Batters
C: Jorge Posada (C)
1B: Miguel Cabrera (1B,3B)
2B: Dustin Pedroia (2B)
3B: Aramis Ramirez (3B)
SS: Derek Jeter (SS)
OF: Matt Holliday (OF), Magglio Ordonez (OF), Chris Young (OF)
Util: Adrian Gonzalez (1B)
BN: Joey Votto (1B), Jose Lopez (1B,2B), J.D. Drew (OF), Hank Blalock (1B,3B)

Pitchers
SP: Roy Oswalt (SP), James Shields (SP)
RP: Matt Capps (RP), Heath Bell (RP)
P: Carlos Zambrano (SP), Frank Francisco (RP), Joe Saunders (SP)
BN: Gil Meche (SP)

cats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, AVG, W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, BSV

Anything glaring that I need to do?
Thanks and WHIR!
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Please rate my team and I WHIR!

Postby phorts » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 pm

It's clear that you C and SS are suspect at best. I really really dislike Posada and Jeter this year (and no not just because i'm a sox fan) but there is SO much better out there i'm SURE on Free Agency.

I would outright DROP Posada and Jeter if any of the following are available on Waivers/FA:

C - Chris Iannetta
C - Mike Nap0li
C - Ryan Doumit
C - Matt Weiters (although of course you'd have to stash until he's called up)
C - Pablo Sandoval

SS - Peralta
SS - Tulowitski
SS - Aviles
SS - Alexei Ramirez
SS - JJ Hardy

Now you're in a 12 team league so probably all of those guys are taken, but i'd try to deal either or both of those guys for anyone on that list...they're pretty big liabilities.

As far as your pitching, i think this is your only other achilles heel. You got some solid Starters but no depth. I'd trade away some of your offensive depth for pitching depth as that's much more valuable (IMHO). Everyone will need pitching throughout the year and it' smuch harder to find on the FA/Waiver market during the year then a hot bat. And injuries are more likely to happen i've found and you dont wanna be caught with just a few pitchers.

beef up the depth and get rid of those Yankee Cancers are i'd say you got a great shot at a title.

Good luck and please help in return

viewtopic.php?t=373372

Thanks!
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby healyja » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:34 pm

I really like your team. Dont even think about dropping Derek Jeter, he is not what he once was but he is still a 300 hitter, good for 90 runs, 10 sbs. I am not a big fan of Jorge, and I agree with the prior post that you should drop Jorge if any of those guys are available. I think your only glaring weakness is stolen bases for your hitting, and I would recommend keeping a close eye the waiver wire for a closer because theres always guys losing jobs and getting injured. Your league cannot be won with the draft, but it can be won with constant attention to the waiver wire and making quality trades.

When you get a chance:

viewtopic.php?t=373382

Thanks,

John
healyja
College Coach
College Coach

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 am

Seems like a waste to have Votto and Lopez on your bench. Try trading one or both for a SP. Or trade aram for a stud SP and move Mcab to 2rd and Votto to 1st.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373293
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby vykeengfan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am

thanks for the tips, guys.
phorts-
i got jeter in the 7th round (78 overall), and jorge in the 16th (187) and thought they were both good value moves. As for the list of guys you recommended, all taken. :-t
healyja-
i also agree that you need to keep a close eye on the ww and make quality trades. because of this site, i'm usually the one that benefits from the late-season call ups, but a cpl others in my league are starting to catch up (don't have the time to live on this site like i used to X-I )
silverZ-
i thought the same thing when i was drafting, but these guys were falling to me. i've been putting out trade feelers to gauge interest, but guys are hesitant to pull the trigger before the first week.

here's my draft list of where i landed my players:
1. (6) Miguel Cabrera
2. (19) Matt Holliday
3. (30) Dustin Pedroia
4. (43) Aramis Ramírez
5. (54) Adrián González
6. (67) Magglio Ordóñez
7. (78) Derek Jeter
8. (91) Roy Oswalt
9. (102) James Shields
10. (115) Carlos Zambrano
11. (126) Joey Votto
12. (139) Chris Young
13. (150) Matt Capps
14. (163) José López
15. (174) Heath Bell
16. (187) Jorge Posada
17. (198) Frank Francisco
18. (211) Joe Saunders
19. (222) J.D. Drew
20. (235) Hank Blalock
21. (246) Gil Meche

keep the replies coming. remember, WHIR!!!
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SlayeratCP » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 am

I love the bench. Solid trade bait and good multi position guys for backups. I don't much like Jeter or Posada either but I doubt there is much better on the WW right now so look to package a bench guy or two or even Adrian Gonzales for a good C or SS. You have Votto who should be really good as a backup if you can pull of the trade.

Mine:
viewtopic.php?t=373467
SlayeratCP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby fittsrk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 am

Good team...offensive juggernaut...but you can only play so many of those guys and I think you got caught up a little in an offensive value draft mentality...I mean 4 guys that qualify at 1B and NO SP depth to speak of. I like Oswalt and Sheilds a LOT....but there is a huge drop off after that....I dunno about trading Votto because I like him this year, but he def has the most value and you could prob package him and a decent closer for a solid SP and an upgrade at catcher...Target the guy who took Weiters and another or Napoli and another and package Posada if he needs a fill in....

Please rate mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=373438
fittsrk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Nice draft overall. Definitely a very solid offensive team. I think you're going to be fine for pitching, personally. I'm someone who sees pretty much every year that all you really need is a solid stable of SP to go with a strong offense. It's nice to get a top SP but I generally don't spend a premium pick on a SP and I've won my league the past two seasons.

I'd say that you might want to try to move AGon if he gets off to a hot start. You have Cabrera at 1B and Votto should have a nice season this year. I have both AGon and Votto and may try to move AGon if I can.

I definitely like your OF but I don't love it. Not a big Ordonez fan anymore. Not much power these days and just seems to be in decline in general. Chris Young could pay off but you might be looking at a .240 and it just doesn't seem like he's going to rack up the SB, despite early indications that he would.

Just manage your team well and watch the wire. You have a very solid core and should be in contention all year if you make the right moves.

Mine?
viewtopic.php?t=373409
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wladimer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Basically the same thoughts as everyone else. Great offense with the potential to be even more monstrous if you can swing something to upgrade Catcher, and probably Shortstop too. Jeter is no where near worth what you paid for him in the draft, but he isn't a liability either.

A better #3 pitcher than Carlos Zambrano would go a long way, but your pitching is still average as stands. Love your relievers though; they're the kind of cheap group that will still keep you well more than competitive when it comes to saves and the peripherals.

Overall I like it, 78/100. Votto and Lopez could definitely help you improve via trades. They are far too valuable to have on your bench, try to translate it into actual production value for a starting slot.

viewtopic.php?t=371802
Wladimer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby vykeengfan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28 am

all posts replied to! thanks for the advice. at this point i think that votto is someone that i'd have to hold on to (maybe moving AGon like someone suggested). i thought he fell pretty far, 11/126, to me, so at this point that really wouldn't be a value trade on my part. i think i'd be better off staying pat w/ him, or hoping that he comes out strong. i'm looking at different options to upgrade sp and possibly c. looking at guys like billingsley, felix, greinke, and the like right now. any other suggestions as possible targets?
thanks again all!
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team