How much do rankings change using NET WINS in an auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much do rankings change using NET WINS in an auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much do rankings change using NET WINS in an auction

Postby dgoldberg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Other than exchanging NET WINS for the usual WINS, the other main 5x5 categories remain the same.

How does your strategy change for a 12 team, deep (2C, 5 OF, MI, CI, 9 P) for the auction.
My initial thoughts are that mediocre starting pitchers, basically SP's in the 20-50 range who go about 14-11 are worth much less, and should often be passed over for a good middle reliever. Instead of really helping in 2 categories (wins, strikeouts), generally they are only contributing to 1 category, strikeouts.

Similarly, top starters, the highest tier of net wins is generally 10-12, are worth even more, as their percentage of contribution to NET WINS is much higher, often 25% or more. That rarely happens with WINS.

Any of you do a league with NET SAVES? Either way, what are your thoughts. Try to use some math to back up our assertions.

Thanks you in advance.
dgoldberg
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How much do rankings change using NET WINS in an auction

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:38 pm

With Net Wins, the top 3-5 pitchers increase dramatically in value. We've been using Net Starter Wins (wins by a reliever get added to the save plus hold category) and over 3 years and 12 teams, I think the highest anyone has ever finished in the category is around 40 or so (and every year at least one guy, if not a few, end up in the negative). So if you have an ace who goes 18-3, that can be half your total right there.

We do do Net Saves. It goes into the stat mentioned above. The stat is actually (and I've mentioned it here before):
Saves + Holds - Blown Saves + Wins by a Reliever - Losses by a Reliever

It works out really well. If a closer comes in and blows the save and his team bails out in the bottom of the 9th, he doesn't get rewarded for it.

In any case, I'm a big fan of counting stats that go up and down. Not only is it more fair and not only does it make people selective about who they throw out there lest they hurt themselves in the process, it generates a huge amount of angst and kvetching when their team has a bad day and takes them from say 8 Net Wins to 4 or 5.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers