1st Time Keeper League Commish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

1st Time Keeper League Commish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st Time Keeper League Commish

Postby epp1e » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm

My league seems not to care about the championship at all because currently we have decided that the draft picks are the inverse of standings at the end of the year. Any suggestions on how to make 1st place more appealing?
epp1e
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st Time Keeper League Commish

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Well other than putting money on the line, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe look for new league mates or give the champion a good slot. I'm sure we've all had problems I'm with bottom teams intentionally tanking for better draft slots but I've never been in a league where it happened across the board.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 pm

The real question is why do they care so much about their draft position? To me, it's really not that big of a deal... you can draft well from any position with proper planning... OK, you might get Han-Ram, but then you have to watch 22 players get picked before your next one... no thanks. Regardless, why would that affect people not caring about the CHAMPIONSHIP?? I can understand tanking for last... but are you saying people would rather finish last than win the league? If so, that's super lame, and I don't understand why those people are even in the league... hope I'm misunderstanding.

You could try what we do in my league... The following year, everyone SELECTS their draft position in an order based on the previous year's finish... that order is the consolation bracket, in order of finish, followed by the championship bracket, in reverse order of finish. In other words, the consolation bracket winner would have first priority for selecting their draft position, while the league champion would have last priority. This gives the teams out of contention an incentive to stay active and try to win. Obviously, this only applies to H2H. But I suppose you could adapt it for roto by giving 7-12 top priority, followed by 6-1, or something...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:15 pm

If they're all trying to finish last so that they can pick first, then who is the first pick? Cliff Floyd? He'd give you pretty good chances at letting you pick first next year.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner