My Keeper team... Need to pickup bench slots HELP! WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My Keeper team... Need to pickup bench slots HELP! WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Keeper team... Need to pickup bench slots HELP! WHIR!

Postby TheBambino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:44 am

Hey guys... This is my first Keeper league.... Please help and let me know how I can improve. I have 4 Bench players to pick tomorrow and want to know what i need... WHIR

10 Team Keeper league 5x5 Mixed
Ryan Doumit
Justin Morneau
Brian Roberts
Aramis Ramírez
Derek Jeter
Grady Sizemore
Hunter Pence
Jay Bruce
Adam Dunn
Hideki Matsui

Dan Haren
John Lackey
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Chris Carpenter
Max Scherzer

Joe Nathan
B.J. Ryan
Max Scherzer
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Keeper team... Need to pickup bench slots HELP! WHIR!

Postby Big League Chew » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:02 am

I would focus on SP. Your staff is good, but not dominating. Try to find someone who is upcoming and could have a huge year. Carpenter kind of fits into this category. I would pick up at least 2 more SP and one more RP try to find a back up for a guy who is hurt (ie Hoffman). Seattle is weak right now in RP, but you could get a few saves by picking up Mark Lowe until Cordero comes up. Another guy for you to look at is Sean Marshall. He is the #5 guy in the Cubs rotation. The cubs are going to win, and Marshall has the capability to do well. Also check out Zimmerman (WAS SP). I'm pretty sure that he was picked to be the R.O.Y winner this year. I hope this helps. The good thing is that your lineup is good (you might could add speed, but with Roberts and Size you will probably be good). Also, see if you can get Billingsly because your team is a keeper league this would be good for you. Try to get rid of guys like Lackey and Carpenter for years to come.
Big League Chew
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheBambino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:18 pm

wow! Thanks for the advice...

Actually the guys on wire that I can choose from for saves are:
Hoffman
Gregg
Motte
Perez
Rodney
Lyon
Lindstrom
Street
Corpas
(basically the Mil, Flor, Det, Col and Stl) bullpens no one chose any of them.
As for pitchers.. would any of these help me?

Harang
Maholm
Lowe
C Young
Maine
R Johnson
Cueto
J Johnson
Jer Weaver
Bonderman

Should I target any of these?
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheBambino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Bump... please help.. whir
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby phorts » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Well, the previous poster hit it right on the head so i'll just help you pick from the guys in your FA list..hope i'm in time!

One thing i will say is to just drop Jeter... put him on the curb with a "Free" sign and hope someone takes him away. Then go get a real SS. Guys I like that might be avail in your 10 teamer in order:

Tulo
Drew
Hardy
Aviles
Perralta

Anyone would be better..or go trade...good luck

As for pitching, i would snag ..in order:

SP - Lowe, Harang, Weaver, Maine (no reason any of these guys should be FA's)
RP - Hoffman, Gregg (wait to see if Hoffman is healthy and Gregg gets the job but both look pretty good to go)

Anyways, grab some of that shnasty pitching on the FA before you wish you did and good luck!

Thanks and Please Help Me!

viewtopic.php?t=373372
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 am

TheBambino wrote:Actually the guys on wire that I can choose from for saves are:
Motte

I've been hearing nothing but positive reports on this guy all spring (some are first-hand accounts from a friend who is at spring training). I think St. Louis is going to be better than most expect this year and this guy is going to be their closer. Apparently he's got nasty stuff and the right demeanor for a closer. I'd snatch him up if I were you. At the very least, look into him further.

viewtopic.php?t=373409
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SlayeratCP » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:24 am

Grab Motte, Cueto, Maine. All of these guys are low risk guys with big potential for your keepers. I would definitely add pitching at the least.

Mine:
viewtopic.php?t=373467
SlayeratCP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheBambino » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 am

hmmm... I thought my pitching was pretty good! hehhe I thought I needed 1 closer and 1 starter.

I have 4 bench slots and was thinking of getting a combo of these guys.

- Motte or Gregg or Lindstrom as my 3rd closer
- J Johnson, K Escobar, P Maholm, D Lowe
- K Johnson (2b) to backup Roberts, JJ Hardy to backup Jeter

What do you guys think?
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big League Chew » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

You have to get JJ Hardy. He's way better than Jeter, and I mean way better. He's one of my starters right now on one of my teams. I don't really like SS because there are only 2 really good guys right now. Tulo has lots of head room, but for right now Stephen Drew would be better, and he's young. I actually saw Drew play in high school and he hit a lazer that still hasn't come down, which was the 2nd hardest ball a high schooler I've seen hit, the hardest being Francours last high school at bat which was a grand slam that cleared 100 ft pine trees 30 feet from a 360 foot fence. Any way. I think that you should try to trade Jeter for RP. I've heard it said that in order to win in saves you need to have 120 combined. You can never! ever! ever! have too much pitching. I have found that it's better to get a solid lineup then get pitchers that no one knows about while they are picking up scraps for hitters. In your position, I would still get 3 P. Either 2 SP or 2 RP. Logistically speaking. Pick up RP right now. If you can get guys like Cueto, Carmona, or a young potential ace that would be good. However, because RP is so rare you should pick them up and then trade for SP. Corpas and Gregg sound better right now, but there are others like Hanrahan that no one has heard of that has a solid spot. {breath} So what you need is remember is this. There is no reason to back guys up in the hitting category unless you have specialty players (speed, homers, Runs etc). The exception is C. Sometimes catchers do not get to play everyday. Here's some guys to look at: Iannetta and Shappach. If you can free up your bench for pitchers that you set in your lineup on a daily basis. Pitching match ups are much more important than hitting.
Big League Chew
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team