I can't tell if this team is good, lets figure it out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I can't tell if this team is good, lets figure it out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I can't tell if this team is good, lets figure it out

Postby Sketchpadsrus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 am

12 team H2H, competive league 8th pick

Scoring is 6x6 (OBP + K/BB)

C Mike Napoli (LAA - C)
1B Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B,3B)
2B Alexei Ramírez (CWS - 2B,SS,OF)
3B Adrián Béltre (Sea - 3B)
SS Stephen Drew (Ari - SS)
OF Carlos Quentin (CWS - OF)
OF Ichiro Suzuki (Sea - OF)
OF Matt Kemp (LAD - OF)
Util Joey Votto (Cin - 1B)
Util Nelson Cruz (Tex - OF)

BN Xavier Nady (NYY - OF)

SP Johan Santana (NYM - SP)
SP Ervin Santana (LAA - SP)
RP Jonathan Broxton (LAD - RP)
RP Francisco Cordero (Cin - RP)
P Carlos Zambrano (ChC - SP)
P Brett Myers (Phi - SP)
P Chad Qualls (Ari - RP)

BN Josh Johnson (Fla - SP)
BN Mike Pelfrey (NYM - SP)
BN Chris Volstad (Fla - SP)
BN Joey Devine (Oak - RP)
Sketchpadsrus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I can't tell if this team is good, lets figure it out

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 am

Very solid, but Ervin Santana and Mike Napoli are starting the season on the DL so another catcher would be a good idea short term, Chris Volstad would be a goo candidate to drop since he is undrafted in most leagues, and pick him back up when Napoli gets better

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372721
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby decatur squares » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:09 am

I like your team. Some really good young players. If this is a keeper league you're set. IMO, dont get rid of Volstad like the other poster mentioned. You drop him you will never get him back and could live to regret dropping a guy who had a massive year (to much upside). Now napoli, I like him this year with getting regular at bats. Hopefully he can put together a consistent year with 400 + ABs and put up .275, 30/15. If he does that next year you will not be able to get him on the cheap. my thought on replacing him while he is on the DL. I would drop Nady, he will be ok this season, but he is in a crowded outfield and may platoon a little. There are probably other comparable players on the WW.
decatur squares
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 am

I would've said Nady instead of Volstad, but seems to me taht everyone is a Yankess fan and no matter how crappy some players play they won't drop them just because they are Yankess, but he is right .280 20-25 hrs are east yo find on waivers (Adam Lind, possibly Travis Snider), Nady will be luckey to get 450 abs this season
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby plainyogurt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:50 am

I like your team, but when round did you pick E santana in? He is hurt, and who knows if he can finally put everything together and be an Elite pitcher. I know he had a great year last year(picked him up on the WW in april), but needs to be consistent year by year.
plainyogurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sketchpadsrus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 am

First let me say that I'll definately help any of you guys with a team, but I'm on my way to work so it'll have to wait until later.

Of the 3 injured guys I picked up (E Santana, Napoli, Devine) only E Santana was an accident. I didn't know he was hurt at all. I could have had Kazmir, and it may have been a dumb pick even if Erwin wasn't injured. On the good side, he may only miss a week of the season. BTW, I could have had Kazmir instead.

Napoli's a funny story. I got cocky. I was going to pick up Posada late, decided not to, and he just sat there on the board. I checked the other 11 teams and saw that only one other guy hadn't drafted a C. Also, Navarro was still on the board as well. So I was thinking, which ever one the Catcher-less guy picks, I'll take the other and it'll still be a steal. So I kept waiting, and waiting.

Then some idiot left his PC, and he autodrafted Posada, then Navarro went two picks later. I grabbed Napoli because my other options at that point were Ramon H or Y Molina. It shouldn't be so bad, he's catching now in Spring Training. I will have to pick up a C though.

Also, the guy who autodrafted Posada is willing to trade him. Should I try and get him or ride out any catcher until Napoli comes around?

As for Devine, he was my last pick, and could end up being a 4th closer. That pick pissed alot of people off who were all planning on getting Devine in the last round.

I have no attachment to Xady and I hate the Yankees, but I'd never let love/hate for a team/player effect my draft. I do feel a need a hitter on my bench, but it could someone else with more playing time.

Erwin and Alexei were my worst two picks. I took Erwin in the 8th round and A-ram Jr in 5th. Both were dumb dumb dumb.

Free Agent Catchers: Ramon Hernandez, Kelly Shoppach, Jeff Clement, Jarrod Salty, Yadier Molina, Christ Snyder, Taylor Teagarden, Jesus Flores, Kurt Suzuki.

Or do I trade for Posada and ride him out? Sorry for the long post, and thank you for all the replies, I'll will DEFINATELY get you guys back.
Sketchpadsrus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pre1322 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:57 am

I quite like this team, very balanced all the way around. I have Ervin in a league too, but I drafted before he got hurt. He won't miss too much of the season, and you can make up some production until he's back by playing the WW. Good closers too.

The only thing I would do is drop Nady for Hernandez. I like him to have a good year this year in Cincy, playing in that park. At least use him until Napoli comes back, if you really like Napoli. If you need another OF if Cruz struggles, Nady's production can be replaced on waivers.

Otherwise, I think you'll do well as long as you stay proactive on the WW.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=373179
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Sketchpadsrus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:05 am

Dropped Xady for Ramon, thanks guys.
Sketchpadsrus
Softball Supervisor